PDA

View Full Version : Zebra crossing outside co-op spring park Thurso

Mr P Cannop
02-Aug-10, 08:14
what is it going to take before the police do anything about this ??

as yet again i very nearly got hit by a car speeding up the road at 7.45am 2nd Aug 2010 something has to be done about this can not continue what is the police going to do about this before someone gets knocked over or even killed !! its about time we get more police up in the spring park areas or CCTV !!

annthracks
02-Aug-10, 10:20
and it's also about time people in Thurso learnt how to use a zebra crossing correctly... both pedestrians and drivers!

You don't automatically have a right of way when a car is approaching unless you are already on the crossing. Wait for them to stop (make sure they've got space to stop) before you leap out in front of them.
If you're already on the crossing and they don't stop, try and hit their car with something hard (tins of food in a carrier bag, camera... etc) as some of the auld locals that have never left Caithness don't seem to know what a zebra crossing is for either (or traffic lights for that matter).

Or read this! (http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A954713)

Olin
02-Aug-10, 10:29
Even when I see a crossing I don't like using them because I think it must be a pain in the neck for drivers to have to stop for some pedestrian who is now "the kiddie" because of a few lines and some flashy lights. I treat all roads the same just to be sure in case the driver is inconsiderate or perhaps foreign or something of that nature

Mr P Cannop
02-Aug-10, 10:56
and it's also about time people in Thurso learnt how to use a zebra crossing correctly... both pedestrians and drivers!

You don't automatically have a right of way when a car is approaching unless you are already on the crossing. Wait for them to stop (make sure they've got space to stop) before you leap out in front of them.
If you're already on the crossing and they don't stop, try and hit their car with something hard (tins of food in a carrier bag, camera... etc) as some of the auld locals that have never left Caithness don't seem to know what a zebra crossing is for either (or traffic lights for that matter).

Or read this! (http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A954713)

theres a sign at the of the road and the bottom of the roads saying cars must give way also i steped out to cross and still the car DID not stop had to jump back

gollach
02-Aug-10, 11:01
If you got the car reg, report it to Thurso police.

onecalledk
02-Aug-10, 11:03
this is not just a Caithness problem. When I lived in Inverness it seemed the only zebra crossing that "worked" was the one outside the big tesco at the retail park. Try using ANY other zebra crossing in the town and you take your life in your hands.

I always stop when I see someone about to use a zebra crossing. It may well be that you have to wait til someone is ON the crossing but standing looking like you want to walk into the road is a sign that the person wants to cross and is being careful. The highway code would say that you then stop and let the person cross.

Having driven in Caithness for quite some time there are few things that dont appear to have transferred from the highway code up here. On saying that drivers up here DO indicate, unlike Invernessians who seem to think that all other drivers are psychic.....

Roundabouts - give way to traffic from the right ....... its not a drive fast onto the roundabout and hope everyone else will stop for you !

K

upolian
02-Aug-10, 11:03
Let the police know about the problem would be a start?

Mr P Cannop
02-Aug-10, 11:09
Let the police know about the problem would be a start?

been to the police in the past and still is being done about this

Bazeye
02-Aug-10, 16:23
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVJ80MQLEuk