PDA

View Full Version : Making a fool of myself?

Tugmistress
01-Aug-10, 21:22
ok, come september the 30th i'll publicly be making a fool of myself lol
there's going to be a 'weather event' (a talk thing not an actual storm or hurricane or anything) in wick and thurso that day and i've got a slot to speak in :eek:
who fancies coming and laughingat me? :confused

on the plus side, a lady by the name of Alison McLure from the BBC (she was weather presenter before Heather the weather) is also talking at this event.

Dadie
01-Aug-10, 21:35
Rather you than me!
But you should be fine... your weather reports for up here are the most reliable!
And you obviously know your stuff!
Good luck.

telfordstar
01-Aug-10, 21:48
Good Luck to you tuggs, I get the feeling you will be great you take great pride in what you do and that makes a huge difference, Enjoy :)

Mister Squiggle
01-Aug-10, 22:10
Good luck Tugmistress, I'm sure that you'll be a star. You know your stuff and we rely on your forecasts as they always seem to be spot on (unlike the guesstimate BBC ones). Do you have a link for the details? We'll keep the diary free!

Kodiak
01-Aug-10, 22:37
Great Stuff Tugs!! I would love to listen to you give a talk and I would love to go to this event. I can also promise I would not laugh either.

So send me the details and I will be there.

wifie
01-Aug-10, 22:40
Good luck Tugs you will be fabby! :D

young_fishin_neep
01-Aug-10, 23:30
im sure you will be great mum... just for once please dont turn up in your boiler suit and rigger boots or i WILL disown you! xx

ywindythesecond
02-Aug-10, 01:24
I'll be there Tuggs. Where and when is it?

Tugmistress
02-Aug-10, 06:48
It's on 30th September, i think Wick in the afternoon probably at the assembly rooms and then thurso in the evening at caithness horizons. it's being organised by the caithness branch of the british science association so if you keep an eye open on their website the details will be up there
http://www.caithness-science.org/

Tugmistress
02-Aug-10, 06:49
im sure you will be great mum... just for once please dont turn up in your boiler suit and rigger boots or i WILL disown you! xx

lmao it's ok i've already promised not to wear boiler suit and riggers :Razz

golach
02-Aug-10, 08:33
lmao it's ok i've already promised not to wear boiler suit and riggers :Razz

Wear your wedding outfit Tuggs, now that would be something else [lol]

Tugmistress
02-Aug-10, 09:07
not a chance golach lol i'd frighten everyone.

Date: Thursday 30th September
Venue and Time: Assembly Rooms Wick 1.30 - 4.30 Caithness Horizons Thurso 6.30 - 9.30

Programme and Speakers:
Thurso (Wick Times in Brackets)
6.30 - 6.40 (1.30 - 1.40) Opening and Welcome - Pat Kieran
6.40 - 7.20 (1.40 - 2.20) Alison McLure - The science of Weather Forecasting
and the Art of Weather Presenting
7.20 - 8.00 (2.20 - 3.00) Paula Fisher and Paula Godbold split - Caithness
Weather - The Craic/Keeping a Weather Diary
8.00 - 8.40 (3.00 - 3.40)Speaker Christine Russell, (Community and Education Officer, Caithness Horizons) Community and Schools Involvement in follow up

8.40 - 9.10 (3.40 - 4.10) Questions and discussion

For those who do not know of Alison, here's a brief note ; Much more interesting reading at the web address at the end - PLEASE read!

Alison McLure is the National Officer (Scotland) for the Institute of Physics. Following graduating in physics from the University of Aberdeen, she went on to work for the Meteorological Office for ten years. Her variety of jobs included researching and developing instruments for the tops of mountains and forecasting the weather for the RAF, the BBC and British Antarctic Survey. She was seconded to the Scottish Leadership Foundation as their People Exchange Manager, before applying for her current post in the Institute of Physics. She is currently studying for a Masters in Outdoor Environmental and Sustainability Education and is a Fellow of the Royal Meteorological Society. She was a voluntary scientist for British Schools Exploring Society on an expedition to South Georgia and the Falklands in 2007.

To learn more about Alison please go to:
http://www.scienceinschool.org/2009/issue11/alisonmclure

Kevin Milkins
02-Aug-10, 09:53
That sounds interesting, will you give us the heads up closer to the date.:Razz

Well done and good luck.

KM

Kenn
02-Aug-10, 11:10
Laugh at you? Would n't dare, you'd strike us down with a thunderbolt.
On a more serious note, well done you and will hope to get along to one of the venues and give you our full support.

Kodiak
02-Aug-10, 12:22
Thanks for the Info Tugs and I have taken a Screen Shot of that post and filed it away.

I will be at the Thurso venue and I am looking forward to it. Just a Point, did I ever tell you I worked for the Met office as an observer for quite some years, so I will be very interested in what you have to say. :D

Rainmaker2
02-Aug-10, 12:43
Kodiak,
I'm a serving Met Office observer, oops sorry forecaster support. I used to work up at Wick and can remember taking the obs over the phone from Strathy Point and Cape Wrath. Ah those were the days!!

Tugmistress
02-Aug-10, 13:37
Thank you for the kind words folks, hoping i don't make an utter twit of myself, especially now you've said that Kodiak!
I've got no official training and only just scraped O'level physics and geography :roll: so i reckon next to the professional weather lady i'll be pretty bland :eek:

wifie
02-Aug-10, 13:56
Tugs yer anything but bland! Have you watched a telly weather forecast recently? Now that's bland! :D

Kodiak
02-Aug-10, 14:08
Kodiak,
I'm a serving Met Office observer, oops sorry forecaster support. I used to work up at Wick and can remember taking the obs over the phone from Strathy Point and Cape Wrath. Ah those were the days!!

Yup I was one of the ones at Cape Wrath, I left there in 1983 and then moved to Stroma.

Kodiak
02-Aug-10, 14:13
Thank you for the kind words folks, hoping i don't make an utter twit of myself, especially now you've said that Kodiak!
I've got no official training and only just scraped O'level physics and geography :roll: so i reckon next to the professional weather lady i'll be pretty bland :eek:

Such Nonsense, Bland indeed, anything but I am sure. I am looking forward to it greatly and if you do not recognise me I will be the Big Fat Hairy one with the walking stick. Pat knows me anyway as we both worked at the college as tutors.

pegasus
02-Aug-10, 17:46
ok, come september the 30th i'll publicly be making a fool of myself lol
there's going to be a 'weather event' (a talk thing not an actual storm or hurricane or anything) in wick and thurso that day and i've got a slot to speak in :eek:
who fancies coming and laughingat me? :confused

Laughing, never I wish you well with your talk.

Throw any nerves out the bcak door.

Im sure you will break the ice when you get going. :)

Happy Guy
08-Aug-10, 22:06
Great Stuff Tugs!! I would love to listen to you give a talk and I would love to go to this event. I can also promise I would not laugh either.

So send me the details and I will be there.

I'll be there Tuggs. Where and when is it?

It's on 30th September, i think Wick in the afternoon probably at the assembly rooms and then thurso in the evening at caithness horizons. it's being organised by the caithness branch of the british science association so if you keep an eye open on their website the details will be up there
http://www.caithness-science.org/

That sounds interesting, will you give us the heads up closer to the date.:Razz

Well done and good luck.

KM

Well, Finally, as promised by Tugmistress, more details are at last available on the Caithness Branch of the British Science Association (http://www.caithness-science.org) website, so please go and have a look. Also, anyone with an interest in weather or a background in meteorology who would like to add their input, please have a look at the Science website Forum - posting there works the same as in here - register -log in and post away. The organizers would LOVE to hear from you!