PDA

View Full Version : Hey, we're back!

neepnipper
01-Aug-10, 14:06
Was it just me or for about the last day when I've tried to access Caithness.org I've been getting a picture of a lady and a list of party ideas!??

ShelleyCowie
01-Aug-10, 14:08
Was it just me or for about the last day when I've tried to access Caithness.org I've been getting a picture of a lady and a list of party ideas!??

As far as i saw the DNS server was hacked and that ad was all that people was getting. I was getting it too but a friend of mine showed me a way to get on.

The caithness.org facebook page had updates on it last night.

ippy999@hotmail.com
01-Aug-10, 14:13
i had that problem too. They were advertising heilium balloons?

porshiepoo
01-Aug-10, 15:19
I just kept getting an Oops sign. No pretty balloons or ought for me.

welsh-witch
01-Aug-10, 15:37
same here, helium ballon advert, very pleased it sorted now yahoooooo

Metalattakk
01-Aug-10, 16:15
As far as i saw the DNS server was hacked and that ad was all that people was getting. I was getting it too but a friend of mine showed me a way to get on.

The caithness.org facebook page had updates on it last night.

I don't think the server was hacked at all, I believe the domain name expired.

A quick WHOIS shows the domain name was renewed yesterday and expires in a year. The page of 'adverts' is just a generic holding page provided by the domain registrar, eNom, Inc.

DNS propagation would have meant a longer down-time for the site while the world's DNS server's caches auto-updated themselves.

http://whois.domaintools.com/caithness.org

Walter Ego
01-Aug-10, 16:44

A quick WHOIS shows the domain name was renewed yesterday and expires in a year. The page of 'adverts' is just a generic holding page provided by the domain registrar, eNom, Inc.

DNS propagation would have meant a longer down-time for the site while the world's DNS server's caches auto-updated themselves.

I'd agree with that, probably just omitted to renew i time. Didn't this site change servers recently with a lot of work for the site owners?

They probably lost the renewal prompts amongst a mountain of other work.

annthracks
01-Aug-10, 19:33

I'd go with that :)
(was thinking either server crash, giving us the holding page or reg expired)

wifie
02-Aug-10, 02:07
OK clever clogs of the Org congregation (haha should that be flock?) - if the place was "temporarily expired" how come I, and some others I believe, had no break in transmission? :confused

Metalattakk
02-Aug-10, 02:27
OK clever clogs of the Org congregation (haha should that be flock?) - if the place was "temporarily expired" how come I, and some others I believe, had no break in transmission? :confused

DNS server caches.

Maybe your DNS servers were really slow to update, so they missed the temporary "outage" completely.

It can take something like 48 hours for a DNS propagation to occur.

wifie
02-Aug-10, 16:36
Well metal man I had a look and read some stuff about DNS and worked it out for myself but thanks for the clues. :D

I also confirmed this with someone who is no longer part of this flock and reckon that in the future that is where I shall ask my questions.

annthracks
02-Aug-10, 16:38
OK clever clogs of the Org congregation (haha should that be flock?) -

yeah, they're a right bunch of flockers! LOL