PDA

View Full Version : electric bills

zarapopet
31-Jul-10, 22:39
have just recieved mine £609 and that not counting heating as ive closed in fire. anyone else got an extortionate bill.
phoned to queery it but recons its correct. help,,,[evil]

Rheghead
31-Jul-10, 22:46
per quarter?

cuthill
01-Aug-10, 00:13
We got one for £1040.00 2 years ago for a 4 month bill,to say it was a shock was an understatement.You would think it would be cheap with all there wind turbines.

kriklah
01-Aug-10, 09:39
thats nothing.....last year i got a quaterly bill of just under £1500 !!!!!ok so its a big house with 5 kids leaving every light on but 500 quid a month??? needless to say something drastic had to be done, so out went the Total Heating Total Control( or No Heating No Control would be more like it!!). ive had a solid fuel boiler installed, currently heats the water, and radiators get put in before this winter. just had plugin heaters in the bedrooms for now, also have open fire in living room. this past winter my quaterly bill worked out at £360 (£120 a month) biiiiig difference, and even less jsut now without using the electric heaters. id also got a key meter put in so its alot easier to keep an eye on usage,( im currently putting £20 a week in)

EDDIE
01-Aug-10, 09:41
have just recieved mine £609 and that not counting heating as ive closed in fire. anyone else got an extortionate bill.
phoned to queery it but recons its correct. help,,,[evil]

If thats a quarterly bill thats dear considering were in summer you would expect a high bill in the winter not in the summer?Has your past bills been estimate reading?
Estimate meter reading can catch you out because there quite often under estimated.
I dont no about you but my heating has been switched for while now u dont need it in the summer have u left yours on?

spurtle
01-Aug-10, 12:41
We got one for £1040.00 2 years ago for a 4 month bill,to say it was a shock was an understatement.You would think it would be cheap with all there wind turbines.

As these turbines are so inefficient (just see how many times you see them turning a) at all
or b) a proportion of them not turning) they are only going to have the effect of bigger bills. You are paying for them before they are even installed!

Rheghead
01-Aug-10, 12:48

There is not enough intrusion into the electricity market just yet (currently ~3%) for wind turbines to stabilise energy prices. But the real cause of the increases are economic and political instability and availability of resources due to wastage and overuse.

Corrie 3
01-Aug-10, 12:53
Get your last bill and a calculator, take a meter reading and then work it out and see if its right or not.......Simples !!!

:cool::confused[lol]

zarapopet
01-Aug-10, 19:39
that is not including heating as its been of since feb .its not an estimated bill either it all became expensive when they removed the key system to paying by direct debit. thinking of getting the key meter put back in to keep track of what im using

annthracks
01-Aug-10, 19:44
that is not including heating as its been of since feb .its not an estimated bill either it all became expensive when they removed the key system to paying by direct debit. thinking of getting the key meter put back in to keep track of what im using

is it, though, including washing machine (how frequent?) tumble drier even worse, and cooker?
the big 3?

porshiepoo
01-Aug-10, 19:50
Extortionate bills seems to be the norm up here and how they get away with it is beyond me.

We got one for about £1500 for a quarter [evil] Extremely high to say that our heating is a log burner and I refuse to use the tumble dryer no matter what.
We went back to card meter so that we can watch the useage.
Now it's summer we only put in about £30 a week but in the winter that goes up to over £50 a week. Bloody ridiculous!

ShelleyCowie
01-Aug-10, 20:09
WOW! I have never ever spent that much on electric. I put in £10 a week in the summer, once a month i put in £15 just for a top up. In the winter i put in £20 a week because i use the tumble dryer more.

And there i was thinking i wasted loads of electric. :eek:

My heating is seperate but thats £36 a month :confused

I seriously consider myself lucky as the bills some people are saying they get through i could never ever afford.

EDDIE
01-Aug-10, 22:57

Who wanted the key system removed and who payed for it get removed or have they incorporated that in your bill?
They might have put you on a high tarriff to pay for the meter getting removed

mrlennie
01-Aug-10, 23:04
WOW! I have never ever spent that much on electric. I put in £10 a week in the summer, once a month i put in £15 just for a top up. In the winter i put in £20 a week because i use the tumble dryer more.

And there i was thinking i wasted loads of electric. :eek:

My heating is seperate but thats £36 a month :confused

I seriously consider myself lucky as the bills some people are saying they get through i could never ever afford.

Aye thats about right for me too.

telfordstar
01-Aug-10, 23:17
I have pre payment meters for both my gas and electric, £15 a week on each then £20 in winter. Prefer it that way means no huge bills appearing at any point.

Duncansby
02-Aug-10, 11:56
Extortionate bills seems to be the norm up here and how they get away with it is beyond me.

I think it was moneysupermarket.com that did a survey and found that there was about a £30 per annum regional variation between the cheapest and dearest places in the UK. Where Caithness comes on that scale I don't know but it's not vastly different.

If your bill does turn out to be correct you might find a better deal on one of the comparison websites such as USwitch (http://http://www.uswitch.com/gas-electricity/compare-electricity-prices/)

There are lots of websites which might also give you some ideas about how to make savings in energy use and your bills: try the Energy Savings Trust (http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/scotland/Scotland-Welcome-page/At-Home) and Caithness Energy Advice (http://www.ormlie.org/energy.asp)

Stefan
02-Aug-10, 23:45
Our bill for a 5 person household used to be 300 a month.

Few years down the line we have gradually removed 5 PC's from the house, replaced by 2 laptops. All bulbs are energy saving. Lights get turned off in unused rooms (take 10p out of the kids pocket money every time they leave a light on, they'll soon learn), TV is rarely on, in fact we use the laptops to watch TV, uses loads less. The TV is only used to watch DVD's with all the family. Everything gets turned off at the wall (the coffee machine was using 4 watts just for having the wall socket left on!).

We have an owl meter in the hall so the kids can see what we are using. It beeps if we go too high (set to 50p per hour). The meter shows we have used 318 pounds so far this year, which corresponds with the bills we had. Usually 40-50 a month.

Next plan is to change to LED lights, LED TV and movement sensors areas where light is only needed for a short time (hall, entrance, bathroom etc).

achingale
03-Aug-10, 11:26
Our bills used to be high but we've become savvy by turning off lights, not using a tumble dryer, multitasking in the oven by making sure all the shelves are being used when it is on, and switiching off the tv rather than having it on stand-by. All of this does make a difference. The prices quoted on here for bills is just terrible! Switch to a new supplier or monitor your usage. Maybe we should all go back to the old ways such as open fires and parrafin lamps and see how much we could save. Ok it is more hassle and bit more smelly but would it not be good to give the two fingers to the power companies??:lol:

Bazeye
03-Aug-10, 15:43
Just came today.

Gas £63 34
Electric £115 36. Both Quarterly bills.

Bazeye
03-Aug-10, 15:47
Mind you, i am freezin ma nuts off and typing this by candlelight.