PDA

View Full Version : Old school local's?

Rictina
30-Jul-10, 21:54
Does racism still exist locally.

I am Scottish and proud of it, although having been educated in England I do have a strong English accent.

Today during being confronted by a neighbor about dog walking, I was promptly told to get back to England.

He was shocked when I informed him that I am Scottish and he quickly scurried back inside his house.

Surely this kind of thing is not the norm, because if it is, then I personally am ashamed to be Scottish.

hardcore superstar
30-Jul-10, 22:02
I'm English and have also experienced this kind of behaviour while living in Caithness.

onecalledk
30-Jul-10, 22:04
It appears that it does exist locally, I am Scottish and moved here to live with my partner who was born and brought up here. I lived with him for a little while whilst I was selling my house in Inverness and until we were able to buy a house up here.

I was told by someone in the same village to "go back to where you came from, you're not local and we dont like people who are not local". When I asked said person if they realised it was the 21st century I just got more of the same. Said person then turned on my partner and accused him of not being local, when he said he was born and brought up there said person then quoted that they were 4 generations local!

To say I was gobsmacked was an understatement. I can honestly say I have only come across this one person with this attitude. A person who appears to be ok with travelling outwith the county but is not too keen on those travelling INTO the county .....

Sadly there will always be people with this view, but it says more about the person saying it .......

K :)

pegasus
30-Jul-10, 22:05

I am Scottish and proud of it, although having been educated in England I do have a strong English accent.

Today during being confronted by a neighbor about dog walking, I was promptly told to get back to England.

He was shocked when I informed him that I am Scottish and he quickly securid back inside his house.

Surely this kind of thing is not the norm, because if it is, then I personally am ashamed to be Scottish.

securid? whats that?:eek:

Tugmistress
30-Jul-10, 22:08
I've had it a few times, as has my daughter. thankfully not too often and i always retort with 'no thanks, i like it where i am' then smile and walk off.

Rheghead
30-Jul-10, 22:08
To be honest, I think if you had been Scottish or no, black or white, from Thurso or Week, ginger or grey, that person would have picked up summat about your appearance in order to show his prejudice and ignorance. It matters not really. At the end of the day, it is the content of a person's heart that matters and it seems he was lacking big time.

J C Denton
30-Jul-10, 22:20
I was told by someone in the same village to "go back to where you came from, you're not local and we dont like people who are not local".

http://i31.tinypic.com/w7bzl.jpg

hardcore superstar
30-Jul-10, 22:28
... there's nothing for you here.

Rictina
30-Jul-10, 22:34
... there's nothing for you here.

nore for you idiot.

ducati
30-Jul-10, 22:38
Do the 'locals' attack your heritage for no reason, as soon as they hear your accent for instance, or do they only do this during an argument about something else?

I only ask because I have only come across this on the org, not in person. :eek:

Tugmistress
30-Jul-10, 22:42
in my case it was just a case of being at work with a certain person and he turned round and said i shouldn't be doing a mans job and i should go back to where i came from

Rictina
30-Jul-10, 22:44
The chap in question as never acknowledged me or my wife from the 1st time he heard my accent. It as been like he was just waiting for an opportunity to confront me. But he did go away with his tail between his legs in the end.

ducati
30-Jul-10, 22:44
in my case it was just a case of being at work with a certain person and he turned round and said i shouldn't be doing a mans job and i should go back to where i came from

That just sounds like he is an a hole and it wouldn't matter where he came from :lol:

M R
30-Jul-10, 22:55
You'd think that caithness is the only place in the world that has this attitude.

This happens EVERYWHERE....

Rictina
30-Jul-10, 22:59
You'd think that caithness is the only place in the world that has this attitude.

Not at all We are just commenting on our own local experiences.

I for one have lived in many places, and I have to agree this is for the greater part world wide.

hardcore superstar
30-Jul-10, 23:33
nore for you idiot.

what?!?!?!?!?!

Nacho
30-Jul-10, 23:37
what?!?!?!?!?!

don't sweat it, Rictina thought you were addressing them

:roll: clueless, absolutely bliddy clueless

hardcore superstar
30-Jul-10, 23:47
don't sweat it, Rictina thought you were addressing them

:roll: clueless, absolutely bliddy clueless

He/she is clearly not a League of Gentlemen fan ...

... or able to spot I was the first person in support of the original post!

unicorn
31-Jul-10, 00:03
I think if people are going to have a pick on you they will find any reason to do it, a rather sad way to live your life really, whatever happened to living for the moment.

Bazeye
31-Jul-10, 00:32
Only had it once in the last 26 years and was off a young lad in The Newmarket who was hammered. To be fair though his pals just told me to ignore him and then the barmaid had go at him.

Metalattakk
31-Jul-10, 00:33

Of course it does. We're just like anywhere else, we're not exempt from harbouring idiots.

Bazeye
31-Jul-10, 00:38
Of course it does. We're just like anywhere else, we're not exempt from harbouring idiots.

Post of the Week. Probably.

Kevin Milkins
31-Jul-10, 01:12
We have lived many places in the UK and discrimination of one kind or another is not uncommon, ranging from friendly banter to racial hatred.

I find most people in Caithness friendly enough and the ones that don't like you just tend to leave you alone and give you a wide berth.

I had a look in at the Camps X factor last night and had a couple of pints. A local lass got chatting and it wasn't long before the "what are you English doing in Wick" question came up, now, I am not sure what offended me the most, the fact that she asked the question, or that she couldn't tell I was Welsh.:confused

Bazeye
31-Jul-10, 01:33
We have lived many places in the UK and discrimination of one kind or another is not uncommon, ranging from friendly banter to racial hatred.

I find most people in Caithness friendly enough and the ones that don't like you just tend to leave you alone and give you a wide berth.

I had a look in at the Camps X factor last night and had a couple of pints. A local lass got chatting and it wasn't long before the "what are you English doing in Wick" question came up, now, I am not sure what offended me the most, the fact that she asked the question, or that she couldn't tell I was Welsh.:confused

:lol::lol:. you can only have two.

achingale
01-Aug-10, 15:02
Racism is live and kicking all over the UK and Caithness is no exception but it tends to be much, much less prevailent here. Of course there are exceptions to every rule but just give them a wide berth.

annthracks
02-Aug-10, 12:48
http://i31.tinypic.com/w7bzl.jpg

Love it :)

annthracks
02-Aug-10, 12:53

Post of the Week. Probably.

Oh no, does this mean I've lost my "Stating the bleedin' Obvious" award?? ;'(

Rictina
02-Aug-10, 12:54
Well who would have thought it.
The person in question actually approached me yesterday and apologised for his behaviour.
At least things are easier now, but he will not be on my Christmas card list.

BRIE
02-Aug-10, 14:35
I had this happen a few times mainly when we first moved up here & it was the usual incomer jibes.
My son who now has a slight scottish twang has also encountered it back in England from people presuming hes Scottish, so quite amusing when your getting it from both sides of the border!
The best one though was from a young female who was calling my niece an english something & how she should get back to where she came from my niece kindly replied 'your english too you idiot!!!'[lol] funny how some people think they actually become scottish once they marry a scot!

squidge
02-Aug-10, 15:59
I never had it said to me although i did have one person who said that "it is because you are english" I do however know that she didnt like me, was resentful of me and to be honest was the same to otherpeople who weren't english.

I think you will find if you talk to other locals that this person is the same with them for different reasons - they are probably some sad miserable old fool who likes any excuse to be mean to someone.

The thing with kids is different - children are often cruel and willpick on whatever they can just to be mean. The "english" jibe from schoolmates is just a type of nastiness and i dont beleive it can be described as racist.

onecalledk
02-Aug-10, 17:18
The thing with kids is different - children are often cruel and willpick on whatever they can just to be mean. The "english" jibe from schoolmates is just a type of nastiness and i dont beleive it can be described as racist.[/quote]

I disagree, kids learn by example, so a parent who has a go at someone for being an incomer or english is teaching their children that this is acceptable. Perhaps if more people recognised that kids LEARN behaviour from the adults around them we would have more of a peaceful existence with each other.

What is going on in the playground is a reflection of what is being taught at home , whether the parent realises they are teaching it or not.....

K

squidge
02-Aug-10, 22:44
What is going on in the playground is a reflection of what is being taught at home , whether the parent realises they are teaching it or not.....

K

Not always - peer pressure is a very strong thing indeed. One of my boys was involved in some picking on another boy as an "incomer" When he was at primary school. Interestingly my boy was of course exactly that himself. The parents of the boy concerned got in touch with me and we worked at sorting it out. No way did he learn that sort of behaviour at my house. However my darling boy would never ever EVER have stood out against the rest of the group. He always had to have his place and once he got it nothing was going to rock that boat for him. Once he went to high school he madenew friends and was free of the petty minded small village-itis that is the worst of Caithness. I remember him saying - so and so is no bad really and the two boys became good pals. Today he is confident and assured but it took a while to get there.

If you take his younger brother then the complete opposite was the case, always happy with his own company and willing to take a stand over an issue from being a wee boy - he and his friend walked out of primary school because his friend was being picked on for being an incomer and nothing seemd to them to be happening to stop it. Their actions soon ensured something was done about it.

Children say what they see and hear but its not always what they see and hear at home............................

Corrie 3
03-Aug-10, 14:02
All this talk of incomers is amazing, these are the incomers that you need to keep out of Caithness. Its no wonder there are so many English up here, they want to get away from the Muslim threat.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-10849352

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1299844/Missing-Manchester-girl-plied-drugs-forced-prostitution.html

In total that 13 immigrants of Muslim Faith that we now have to keep in our prisons.
Just be thankful that its normal, friendly, English that we get up here.
:eek:

Whitewater
03-Aug-10, 15:26
Unfortunately in Caithness there are many who sadly have never been out of their house let alone their street , town or county. As for going to another country that would be out of the question unless they had ropes of garlic hanging round their necks to keep of all the evil people from the far away places.

rich
03-Aug-10, 15:35
I can't believe this thread!
Is this the Caithness that welcomed the Dounreay incomers, and the Americans?

squidge
03-Aug-10, 15:40
All this talk of incomers is amazing, these are the incomers that you need to keep out of Caithness. Its no wonder there are so many English up here, they want to get away from the Muslim threat.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1299844/Missing-Manchester-girl-plied-drugs-forced-prostitution.html

In total that 13 immigrants of Muslim Faith that we now have to keep in our prisons.

What an unpleasant selective post THAT is. [disgust] In 2007 - the only figures i could find quickly - only 7% of the prison population was asian or asian british. Corrie don't attempt to pass your unpleasant view off as mine. An english "incomer" I certainly was not running away from any "muslim" threat. I htink you have been reading too much daily mail. Where was that link to the youtube thing posted last week!!!

Duncansby
03-Aug-10, 15:40

Normal, friendly, English like you you mean, who judge others because of their religion? How can you possibly condem those who judge others for being English when you yourself do exactly the same thing about another section of society?

squidge
03-Aug-10, 15:47
I can't believe this thread!
Is this the Caithness that welcomed the Dounreay incomers, and the Americans?

Good rich - dont beleive it. I tend to think that people like you or they dont but that really depends on who you are and what you are like more than where you come from. I LOVED living in Caithness and I LOVE living in Inverness.

If you beleive the previous poster then I am a refugee from a terrifying place called Lancashire where we are over run with brown people and from which i had to flee with my life in danger:roll:. Im not. I also LOVED living in Lancashire too.

See when my marriage ended Rich - there i was - an "incomer" and the people around me could not have been nicer. I had nothing when i pitched up in the flat i had rented - not a cup, plate or kettle. By the end of the first week i had everything i needed and that was because the lovely people of Caithness helped me out with things they no longer needed. Regardless of the fact that I was English but hopefully because they liked me. I wouldnt have wanted to be anywhere else other than Caithness at that time.

Bazeye
03-Aug-10, 15:50
What an unpleasant selective post THAT is. [disgust] In 2007 - the only figures i could find quickly - only 7% of the prison population was asian or asian british. Corrie don't attempt to pass your unpleasant view off as mine. An english "incomer" I certainly was not running away from any "muslim" threat. I htink you have been reading too much daily mail. Where was that link to the youtube thing posted last week!!!

There is at least one orger though that moved to Caithness because they didnt feel safe in their hometown.

Bazeye
03-Aug-10, 15:54

7% of the prison population maybe but still only 3.5% of the actual population.

squidge
03-Aug-10, 16:36
There is at least one orger though that moved to Caithness because they didnt feel safe in their hometown.

Well there you go then it must apply to the whole of mankind then!!! There are people who dont feel safe walking around Wick and thats hardly the "Helmand Province" of the north of Scotland.

People dont feel safe for all sorts of reasons and its usually personal experience and Iwould not criticise that person for feeling that way. But when i was burgled - it was a white man that was arrested, when i was mugged - it was a white man that bundled me into the boot of my car after following me from the bank on yorkshire street, when i was threatened in my workplace it was a white man that threatened me, when the shop was burgled next door and my husband chased him it was a white man that he caught and that threatened him with an iron bar.

Lets look at the news this last wee while, peter tobin, that man that killed his wife and children, the crossbow killer mannie, Peter Chapman. We can all be selective in our choice of news stories to prove a point. There are good and bad in every race, colour and religion. Pretty evenly to be honest

tiger woods
03-Aug-10, 17:09
If you beleive the previous poster then I am a refugee from a terrifying place called Lancashire where we are over run with brown people and from which i had to flee with my life in danger:roll:. Im not. I also LOVED living in Lancashire too.
'Brown people' explain please!!!!

Metalattakk
03-Aug-10, 17:44
'Brown people' explain please!!!!

Jebus H. Corbett. :roll:

<face/palm>

pegasus
03-Aug-10, 20:36
The nationality isnt important what maters is the old adage

do as you would be done buy.

Happy Guy
03-Aug-10, 21:32

But it seems to me it happens LESS here in Caithness than most other places, and thats one of the reasons I love living here

Thumper
03-Aug-10, 21:36
You get people like this everywhere! BUT the thing is usually other people have done something to proke the reaction,now I am not saying that makes it right but sometimes people say things without meaning to upset people but the tone,mannerism or something manages to do it anyway! x

squidge
03-Aug-10, 22:02
I was paraphrasing the previous post made by corrie 3 which refers to the 'muslim threat'. This 'muslim threat' is the sort of statement made by people who pidgeon hole others by the colour of their skin. My post was made to illustrate that. It is unpleasant to refer to the 'muslim threat' as it is to refer to 'brown people'. I believe that the Last post I made accurately reflects the point of view of corrie 3s previous post.

Corrie 3
03-Aug-10, 22:11
I was paraphrasing the previous post made by corrie 3 which refers to the 'muslim threat'. This 'muslim threat' is the sort of statement made by people who pidgeon hole others by the colour of their skin. My post was made to illustrate that. It is unpleasant to refer to the 'muslim threat' as it is to refer to 'brown people'. I believe that the Last post I made accurately reflects the point of view of corrie 3s previous post.
My post has nothing to do with the colour of skin Squidge, it was highlighting the threat that the Muslims want, and will, take over our country. The two examples I gave are just the tip of the iceberg, 13 imprisoned in one day, thats an awful lot and the crimes were vile to say the least. I was also highlighting the fact that we are very lucky up here so far, I dont know of any gangs of Men forcing 14 year old girls into prostitution or others setting fire to the wrong house and killing the wrong people in Caithness, do you? Are you aware that there are numerous no-go area's in England for whites? I find it quite frightening to be honest.

:eek::eek:

Bazeye
03-Aug-10, 22:37
I was paraphrasing the previous post made by corrie 3 which refers to the 'muslim threat'. This 'muslim threat' is the sort of statement made by people who pidgeon hole others by the colour of their skin. .

Islam is a religion/ideaology and not a race of people. The colour of their skin is irrelevant. Wasnt the "shoe bomber" a caucasian?

squidge
03-Aug-10, 23:27
Different words - same reasoning
There is no point in arguing ..........................But ok ok go on then enlighten me - why do muslims want to take over the country, what will they do with it and how will they manage it.......

I cant wait:roll:

adi1
03-Aug-10, 23:52
Oh Squidge you really have no idea do you?
Just wait until the children up here are taught Muslim beliefs and docterines before their own values they was brought up too.
Wait until anyone with white skin can't walk down a street without being raciallly abused and assaulted.
Wait until women are made to feel second class citizens and made to cover every part of their body.
Just makes you wonder who the real racist and sexist are does it not??
And you want to know how I know these things?? Ive lived in a area that as seen all of this happen.
but I suppose some people will be happy with suicide bomber's teaching at their childrens school?

Bazeye
04-Aug-10, 00:29
Like it or not its happening.

Bazeye
04-Aug-10, 01:12
Next thing you know permission will be granted to build a mosque on a part of the Ground Zero site. Its worldwide not just in this country.

Bazeye
04-Aug-10, 01:14
Oh Squidge you really have no idea do you?
Just wait until the children up here are taught Muslim beliefs and docterines before their own values they was brought up too.
Wait until anyone with white skin can't walk down a street without being raciallly abused and assaulted.
Wait until women are made to feel second class citizens and made to cover every part of their body.
Just makes you wonder who the real racist and sexist are does it not??
And you want to know how I know these things?? Ive lived in a area that as seen all of this happen.
but I suppose some people will be happy with suicide bomber's teaching at their childrens school?

You forgot to mention being gay as well. Dont think theyre flavour of the month with the "Religion of Peace" either.

Aaldtimer
04-Aug-10, 02:44
You forgot to mention being gay as well. Dont think theyre flavour of the month with the "Religion of Peace" either.

They're not flavour of the month with the Vatican either!![disgust]

This thread is degenerating into a racist slant and should be closed!

Ye who are without sin, let you cast the first stone.:confused

Corrie 3
04-Aug-10, 09:21
This thread is degenerating into a racist slant and should be closed!

Its not about race its about a certain Religion...I wondered how long it would be before someone used the Race card and wants the thread shutting down...some people just cannot see whats happeneing and when people try and tell them they want it closed, open your eyes and ears Aaldtimer.
It wont be long before Women are stoned to death in Wick if they commit adultery...and the ones that steal Halal meat from Tesco will have their hands chopped off.
Shut your eyes and ears to the problem if you want but you will never stop me worrying about this threat.

squidge
04-Aug-10, 09:39
Appalling racist clap trap. Interestingly not one of these posters answered my questions. They prefer the hate filled rhetoric that comes from organisations that describe muslims as "terrorists", and talk of "colonisation" and its just nonsesnse. They use the standard response of "open your eyes and see what's happening" The sad thing is that people will read this and beleive them.

The images of streets with asian shops on them are often used to demonstrate a "white no go area" -the same streeets existed and still do where jewish people settled, where chinese people settled - this is not strange or new, where there are mosques,there are also synagogues, film Cheetham hill on a Saturday morning and you would see many many jewish people heading to their synagogues easily identifiable by their dress.

So i ask again, why do muslims want to take over the country, what will they do with it and how will they manage it.......

But in answering the questions lets see some serious research here, links to proper news stories and research that illustrate what our friends here are saying. Not just bigoted rubbish designed to scare old ladies and cats. Oh and a list of no go areas would be helpful.

It wont be long before Women are stoned to death in Wick if they commit adultery...and the ones that steal Halal meat from Tesco will have their hands chopped off.

Can you give me a timescale for this then Corrie3?

onecalledk
04-Aug-10, 09:52
Its not about race its about a certain Religion...I wondered how long it would be before someone used the Race card and wants the thread shutting down...some people just cannot see whats happeneing and when people try and tell them they want it closed, open your eyes and ears Aaldtimer.
Shut your eyes and ears to the problem if you want but you will never stop me worrying about this threat.

you appear to know very little about the religion and seemed to have absorbed all the disinformation that has been bandied about. NOWHERE in Koran does it state that women are less than men, NOWHERE does it state that women must be covered up either. The words in the Koran have been skewed to suit the muslim extremists just like words in ANY religious book can be skewed to suit the person flogging their version of what it says.

Perhaps you should take time to sit and read the book and not decry everyone for their particular religion. If you took time to read the holy books of ANY religion in the world you would see that they basically are the same story, just slightly different names given to those in the story.

To blindly believe that the actions of a minority define the majority is how this kind of hatred is spread.

Religious maniacs will always quote what they want to so to support their extremist ideas. If you dont see behind this and see people as PEOPLE, fellow human beings then we had all better just pack up and get the next spaceship off .......

Ignorance breeds fear ........

K

Duncansby
04-Aug-10, 10:46
My post has nothing to do with the colour of skin Squidge, it was highlighting the threat that the Muslims want, and will, take over our country. The two examples I gave are just the tip of the iceberg, 13 imprisoned in one day, thats an awful lot and the crimes were vile to say the least. I was also highlighting the fact that we are very lucky up here so far, I dont know of any gangs of Men forcing 14 year old girls into prostitution or others setting fire to the wrong house and killing the wrong people in Caithness, do you? Are you aware that there are numerous no-go area's in England for whites? I find it quite frightening to be honest.

You seem to have conveniently chosen to forget all of the vile crimes committed recently by non-muslims. The propensity to do badness is not reserved solely for muslims - it is a HUMAN complaint. Equally the ability to do goodness is something which all people are cabable off. Perhaps you should try it. Start looking at people for who they are and not judging them because they are different to you.

Corrie 3
04-Aug-10, 12:02
So the stonings that we see, the executions, the limb removals, the speeches by the Ayatollah's are all fiction are they?
If you dont believe my fears, I defy any Caithness Woman to go and live in a Muslim Street down south (yes, there are such streets) for a while and try walking down that street with a pair of shorts or short skirt on and see what happens.
The people of Caithness have nothing to fear but your childrens children may just get the brunt of it.
I am going to dip out of this thread now because I do fear that some of you think I am a racist and I dont like that at all.

:(

squidge
04-Aug-10, 12:15
So the stonings that we see, the executions, the limb removals, the speeches by the Ayatollah's are all fiction are they?
If you dont believe my fears, I defy any Caithness Woman to go and live in a Muslim Street down south (yes, there are such streets) for a while and try walking down that street with a pair of shorts or short skirt on and see what happens.
The people of Caithness have nothing to fear but your childrens children may just get the brunt of it.
I am going to dip out of this thread now because I do fear that some of you think I am a racist and I dont like that at all.

Still no answers and more importantly no EVIDENCE. No Corrie the things that you talk about are not fiction in the world but they are fiction in the UK. Dip out of the thread if you like but before you go read your posts and ask yourself why people think you are expressing a racist viewpoint....

Short skirt or shorts hmm well where i come from there are swimming pools on 2 "muslim" streets - one has big big windows so you can see into the pool - I dont recall it ever getting its windows put through, nor have there been women stoned for wearing bikinis despite the fact that they can be seen from the outside - a supposedly white's no go area at that.

Duncansby
04-Aug-10, 12:26

I am assuming that your reference to stonings etc is directed towards nations other than the UK, unless the little corner of England which you have escaped from is censoring its news releases. Unfortunately abuses against humanity occur all over the world and in countries which subscribe to every religious creed. Check out the Amnesty International website (http://www.amnesty.org.uk/index.asp) if you want some proof.

Whitewater
04-Aug-10, 15:20
There are extremists in all religions, none worse than Christianity in the middle ages, and the not so late Spanish invisions of South America, where everybody that didn't have the same view point as the church was murdered in the name of God.
What a con all religions are, the spin doctors of today have nothing on the emperor Constantine and his henchmen who wrote the Christain bible for their own benifit in the 3rd century, the same basic one as is used today. There are presently many extreme Christian cults in existance and if they thought they would get away with it would be every bit as bad as any of your Muslim extremists.
Its time we all grew up about religion, and started learning about Jesus the man, not Jusus the myth. The best words ever uttered by anyone were from his mouth "Do unto others as you would have done unto you" they are so true and can can be applied in any religion, a simple philosophy which unfortunately all of todays world seems to have become blind to.

pegasus
04-Aug-10, 15:42
The best words ever uttered by anyone were from his mouth "Do unto others as you would have done unto you" they are so true and can can be applied in any religion, a simple philosophy which unfortunately all of todays world seems to have become blind to.

Very true indeed.

I previouslyr mentioned this earlier on in this thred!

Bazeye
04-Aug-10, 19:36
Dont care what race/religion/sexual orientation etc...etc... my next door neighbour is, hes still due a good shoe-ing.

bagpuss
06-Aug-10, 22:37
Back in Franco's time, the wearing of skimpy swimsuits or shorts was punishable by a night in the cells.

One doesn't tend to offend others when one is in the minority or on other people's turf.