PDA

View Full Version : Injured sparrow - advice please

badger
30-Jul-10, 08:32
Such a traumatic morning. Two little sparrows, one after the other, flew into my big window (I've stuck something on it now). One picked itself up eventually and flew off. The other lay on the ground for a while, then got to its feet but hasn't moved since, just sits there panting or heart beating, I'm not sure which. Eventually I picked it up and put in a shoe box with shredded paper and a little bowl of water but it's shown no interest in anything. Children and I are so upset. I have a feeling a merciful end would be best but can't bring myself to do it.

Please someone advise. I'm not good with sick birds, took all my courage to pick it up.

Dadie
30-Jul-10, 09:30
Keep it somewhere quiet and dark.
Could just be stunned.
Give it a couple of hours and recheck.

badger
30-Jul-10, 09:48
A little rest in the shoebox did the trick. It was looking much livelier so we took outside and after a while he flew away. So relieved :)

Dadie
30-Jul-10, 10:05
We had a kestrel do the same thing last year.
It ended up at balmore to recover.
The ensuing fuss and mayhem to find a box and keeping the kids and cat away from the poor thing was a nightmare!
I still dont understand how it didnt see the window as Ionas blind was down.

badger
30-Jul-10, 18:54
It is a problem. I had one room with both windows had things stuck on them because the birds kept flying into them and it was so upsetting.

Seeing this little one perk up after a rest, start to look round, hop up on the side of the box when we took it outside and then fly away, was just a small miracle. So light when I picked it up yet so strong.

Dadie
30-Jul-10, 21:33
Ionas blind was bright with big spots on it at the time:lol:
But birdies would stun themselves on her window quite often!
Funnily enough now its a plain blackout blind the birdies havent banged into the window.

Liz
30-Jul-10, 22:51
So glad that the wee bird recovered after it's rest. Well done!:D

highland red
01-Aug-10, 00:10
It is a great feeling when you try to help these wee things and it turns out well. We had almost the same thing a while ago with a Siskin. We did the same thing you did and the result was a positive one.

This is what the org is about: you can usually get a good positive answer/help.

Fantastic result, keep up the good work.

All the best HR

Rheghead
01-Aug-10, 00:11
A little rest in the shoebox did the trick. It was looking much livelier so we took outside and after a while he flew away. So relieved :)

Nice one, another happy ending.

stewart4364
01-Aug-10, 16:04
I find with any injured or sickly bird is to put them somewhere warm with some food and water. The rest and the warmth normally works wonders. The heat is more beneficial if the bird is cold, possibly in the winter, as the heat means they do not have to use up valuable energy trying to keep warm. Depending on the size and type of bird one way of giving heat to the bird is to put in inside your clothes next to your chest.(you may need to give yourself a wash afterwards depending on how well behaved the little bird has been).

badger
01-Aug-10, 19:20
Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. I'll be more confident if it happens again.

Dadie
01-Aug-10, 21:45
This might help!
We used a microwavable wheat filled heat pack under the towel in the box to keep the kestrel warm.
Hot water bottle/heatpack or something not too hot but warm could be used instead.
Dont fancy a birdie in my cleavage:eek: