PDA

View Full Version : Any one else find it irritating?

Kenn
29-Jul-10, 20:16
Why do people find it necessary when replying to a thread to post the original comment/ picture when they reply?
This often happens just one or two posts from the original, now whilst I appreciate there may be a specific point that needs to be copied so that a reply can be made surely it is possible to make a comment without having to repost in entirety the original.
Just wonder how much bandwidth is taken up by this uneccesary practice.

laguna2
29-Jul-10, 20:17
Why do people find it necessary when replying to a thread to post the original comment/ picture when they reply?
This often happens just one or two posts from the original, now whilst I appreciate there may be a specific point that needs to be copied so that a reply can be made surely it is possible to make a comment without having to repost in entirety the original.
Just wonder how much bandwidth is taken up by this uneccesary practice.

Good point Lizz.

Sorry couldn't resist it! ;)

changilass
29-Jul-10, 20:20
Well said Lizz.

How hard is it to refer to a post number rather than copying a whole post.

Bobinovich
29-Jul-10, 20:26
...Just wonder how much bandwidth is taken up by this uneccesary practice.

Bandwidth for text is minute so I wouldn't worry about that aspect.

It's doen for a couple of reasons...

1) To ensure that, should the OP edit or delete their post, it is still obvious to what the reply refers

2) So that should someone else reply to a thread while a reply is being typed then once again it's obvious which post is being replied to

However I do feel it would be a good idea to edit quoted posts so that the relevant part(s) are all that is quoted, as I've done here!

summer
29-Jul-10, 20:36
I do it if a thread has gone off topic and I'm replying on the original point.

Kodiak
29-Jul-10, 21:10
What was the question again. I have forgotten as I never used the quote feature.

laguna2
29-Jul-10, 21:14
What was the question again. I have forgotten as I never used the quote feature.

lol Kodiak ....... :lol:

Phill
29-Jul-10, 21:22
Why do people find it nece....blah blah blah yadda yadda yadda blah blah blah yeah yeah yeah yadda blah yeah blah yadda blah blah blah yadda yadda yadda blah blah blah yeah yeah yeah yadda blah yeah blah yadda blah blah blah yadda yadda yadda blah blah blah yeah yeah yeah yadda blah yeah blah yadda etc.

OooOOOOOoooohhhh! (handbags at the ready!) :Razz

The old 'netiquette' debate, hmm well......

I've gotta admit I do do it here and there but mostly to reply to certain points in a post once a thread has gone on a bit, naturally threads often tend to drift and idiots like me throw in the stupid pointless comments to waste even more space and time. I do tend to try and trim the quote to the points I intend to demonise as absolute lies as I don't agree with them, or like them.

In my tiny little mind I think it helps, and it saves those moments where you see a post and think WTF!! But then I think that about a lot of posts so I've probably just argued up my own arsehole.

Dadie
29-Jul-10, 22:15
I dont quote.
It makes it messy to read if you have already read it once...
I try to paraphrase or refer back to the post instead.
Besides I havent worked out how because I havent been bothered, not because I am computer illiterate!