PDA

View Full Version : Strange expressions.

cuddlepop
03-Jul-06, 14:21
This is bugging me so was wondering if any of my fellow org's know where
my bit comes from.
When we were little we were always told to clear off and go play round your own bit.Kids over here dont use that expression so was wondering if its Glasgow slang.
Has anyone got anyothers?:Razz

JAWS
03-Jul-06, 15:01
Where i was brought up if you were doing something which was going to cause you a bit of a problem people would say, "If you keep doing that you'll be in Dickie's Meadow!"

It's origin was always a puzzle. One of my nephews eventually found and old mannie who had been told about it's origin when he was young.
It referred to the behaviour of an old farmer from a time when certain things were a little more relaxed.
If he caught anybody trespassing on his meadow he would let loose at them with a shotgun loaded with rock salt.
Hence, if you were caught in "Dickie's Meadow" you certainly had a problem.

Another was when you were told of something surprising or almost unbelievable. Where today you might hear the comment that it was hard to credit or believe, we would say, "Well, I'll go to our house!"
I never did find out the origin of that one or what a remark about going home had to do with it.

newpark
03-Jul-06, 15:06
This is from the days when cats and dogs used to hide in the thatched roof's to keep dry during the rain and they would fall through hence the saying it's Raining cat's and dog's.

golach
03-Jul-06, 15:13
This is bugging me so was wondering if any of my fellow org's know where
my bit comes from.
When we were little we were always told to clear off and go play round your own bit.Kids over here dont use that expression so was wondering if its Glasgow slang.
Has anyone got anyothers?:Razz
Where I was brought up in the country in Perthshire as a teenager the reference to a "Bit" was when gathering potatoes on a farm, each person had a measured stretch of a tattie dreel, ( a row of Potatoes) and that was known as "Your Bit", and it was your responsibility to glean the potatoes at your bit, and heaven help you if you left any lying around, the Greive would issue a sharp kick up your behind as you were bending over picking up your share of the tatties. and from that any area around your house or your local was know as "Your Bit". Cuddlepop, this might not be the correct interpretation but its my theory

Yvonne
03-Jul-06, 15:57
Thought you all might like to have a look at this. :lol:

---------------------------------------------------------

Bob's Your Uncle, Lame Duck, Malarkey, Dressed to the Nines, P's and Q's, and "Uxorious" -- threat or menace?

Bob's Your Uncle?

Dear Evan: I'm enclosing an article from a recent New York Magazine about a shop that recently opened in Manhattan called "Bob's Your Uncle," the name of which is also evidently a common British expression. The writer of the article asked "ten different Brits" what the expression means and got ten different answers, ranging from "anything's possible" to "there you are." I'm hoping you can shed a little light on the question, and while you're at it, tell us who "Bob" is. -- K. Mercurio, New York City.
I'm looking at the clipping you sent along and coming to the conclusion that we have far bigger problems around here than figuring out who "Bob" might be. According to the author, "Bob's Your Uncle" (the store) specializes in "unlikely stuff put together in unusual ways" -- specifically, "shirts on lamps, steel mesh on pillows, and pot scrubbers on picture frames." This sounds a great deal like the aftermath of some of the parties I threw in my youth. I never suspected there was a market for that mess. Does Martha Stewart know this is going on?
In any case, it is somewhat disturbing that "ten different Brits" didn't at least know what the phrase means. "Bob's your uncle" is a way of saying "you're all set" or "you've got it made." It's a catch phrase dating back to 1887, when British Prime Minister Robert Cecil (a.k.a. Lord Salisbury) decided to appoint a certain Arthur Balfour to the prestigious and sensitive post of Chief Secretary for Ireland. Not lost on the British public was the fact that Lord Salisbury just happened to be better known to Arthur Balfour as "Uncle Bob." In the resulting furor over what was seen as an act of blatant nepotism, "Bob's your uncle" became a popular sarcastic comment applied to any situation where the outcome was preordained by favoritism. As the scandal faded in public memory, the phrase lost its edge and became just a synonym for "no problem."
:D

cuddlepop
03-Jul-06, 21:49
Thanks for all your replys.
Golach i think you've got it right with the reference to bit in connection with tattie patch.
Now for once i can tell a certain smart alec i know something he doesn't know.:lol: