PDA

View Full Version : Little Houstry Riding School

Foxy
02-Jul-06, 23:40
I was just wondering if there was anybody else on the org who used to go there for horse riding lessons would love to hear from any of you?

cezzy1234
12-Jul-06, 19:53
Was that the one in dunet .

Foxy
12-Jul-06, 23:56
It was in Halkirk and run by a lady called Mrs Welsh.

Jackpot
14-Jul-06, 22:11
I used to go, have photos of the horses somewhere!

Foxy
14-Jul-06, 22:58
Which horse did you ride, i rode nancy and vicky.

Jackpot
15-Jul-06, 22:26
I started with Wellie Boots and then went on to Mystery! I really liked Mystery and often wonder what happened to all the horses when Janet sold up.

Foxy
16-Jul-06, 00:11
Most of the horses were sold but they did keep Lizzie, Lala and Nancy.

funkiedunkie
23-Jul-06, 09:16
i used to go there too, great childhood memorys, was nancy the horse that would just stop & roll over. i also remember the goats attacking me ( not so good memorys hahah )

Foxy
23-Jul-06, 20:16
nancy was the little fat icelandic cross pony. The pony i remember stopping and rolling was Cassie.

Invader
03-Aug-06, 15:06
I too used to go to Mrs Welsh's riding school way back in the day.

I was only about 11 or 12 at the time, so we're going back about 27 years!

I used to ride a part Arab pony called Soxy which Mrs Welsh broke in for me.

To this day, I can still recite all the points of a dressage arena using her saying about the kindly elephant.

And the whole afternoon excursions up Spittal hill were quite an adventure for a young loon!

I remember she used to get really would up about the RAF Buccaneers flying too low over the farm. What a temper she had on her!!

Foxy
03-Aug-06, 17:12
Invader you must be about my age, it was 28 years since i started to go there. I was the girl that lived on the farm next door and came down to help every weekend.

Invader
29-Aug-06, 12:29
Yeah, I think I remember you, you were always grafting round there.

I always thought you actually worked there, 'cos you rarely ever went on the horses!!

The summer that I was there, I was there every day for the entire school holidays, plus 1 week that I stayed on a "live in" course.

I can also remember taking part in the Halkirk gala procession on horseback, and winning a rosette in a gymkhana in Thurso, but a lot of that time is just a distant blur!