PDA

View Full Version : Should I make a forum?

torisdale
28-Jul-10, 18:30
Should I make a vbulletin forum?

I'm able to design and code vbullentin skins and features however my only license is in use for another forum I have (related to gaming).

So was just wondering is there any point in me buying another license and creating a community forum? The forum wouldn't be for gaining income so there wouldn't be advertisements. It would be more for general banter and community discussion.

gollach
28-Jul-10, 18:35
No. Don't feed the trolls. :lol:

dragonfly
28-Jul-10, 18:37
isn't that the same as this?

I know other forums have been created as rivals to Caithness.org but don't think they survived very long as interest wained after the initial curiosity

if its offering something different then it may succeed but if the same type of forum then I doubt it would be viable

mrlennie
28-Jul-10, 18:47
I think this forum really has a grip on the community, it would be like saying "I'm going down the street to set up a new town for shopping and whatnot do you think it will work?"

It's true that you need something different. :cool:

Kodiak
28-Jul-10, 18:53
NO, we already have a great forum here, so why would another one be needed.

Invisible
28-Jul-10, 18:54
Its up to you Torisdale

torisdale
28-Jul-10, 20:22
I think this forum really has a grip on the community, it would be like saying "I'm going down the street to set up a new town for shopping and whatnot do you think it will work?"

It's true that you need something different. :cool:

There would be lots of things different, Different skins, Different forums, Different features, Different users and personalised pages.

NO, we already have a great forum here, so why would another one be needed.

No offence but it might be great in your opinion but for some people the forums lacks anything special it's mostly original, A basic vbullentin forum.
However I have took your input on-board.

*I don't mean to be offensive to the anyone on the forum and I'm sure the owners must have integrated vbulletin into the site layout there-self.

Its up to you Torisdale

Thanks.

Kodiak
28-Jul-10, 20:42
No offence but it might be great in your opinion but for some people the forums lacks anything special it's mostly original, A basic vbullentin forum.
However I have took your input on-board.

In my experience, and since I am quite old it is considerable, as soon as anyone starts of with, "No Offence", this means that they know what they are about to write will cause offence.

You asked for opinions and I gave you mine yet the way you answered was if you did not really want any opinions at all.

There is nothing wrong with a basic vBullentin Forum, it does all it needs to do.

You say there will lots of different things including Different Users. If there are to be lots of Different Users then this means you do not expect many of the members of .org to be members.

If that is the case then this whole exercise seems to be a waste of time.

ShelleyCowie
28-Jul-10, 20:59
Its purely up to you. Im sure your mates would use it and maybe some orgers too. if there is gaming involved - im there :cool:

I am part of quite a few forums. One of which is a bunch of mates and we all have a darn good laugh all the time. Light hearted banter. And that is a forum i cant see going downhill because we all support it.

So, if you want to create one then lash at it. :D Whats the harm in trying?

mrlennie
28-Jul-10, 21:02
We can't read his mind he may have a good idea. He seems to be young and underestimate a simple forum (simpleness being upsides considering the range of users).

webmannie
28-Jul-10, 21:09
*I don't mean to be offensive to the anyone on the forum and I'm sure the owners must have integrated vbulletin into the site layout there-self.

Kind of obvious that they have, if you look at the bottom of the page it says