PDA

View Full Version : Holiday insurance help

jim shoe
27-Jul-10, 22:41
I am a bi-polar and type 2 diabetes sufferer
medicated for the bi-polar but my diabetes is controlled by diet.

After a really bad 8 years have taken the bull by the horns and decide on a holiday abroad.

Tried to get holiday insurance the cheapest so far £400.00 done via the post office.

Any ideas of where I get get cheaper insurance.

How do other men and women afford to go abroad with the insurance price.

Help.

viking
27-Jul-10, 22:50
Where are you going? I know that insurance is always advisable and in some countries possibly mandatory but if you're just going to Spain or other EC country for would you consider travelling without?
You say your conditions are controlled by medication and diet. How often do you need to seek medical attention in this country? Have you discussed it with your GP?
Best of luck and have a well-deserved holiday.

jim shoe
27-Jul-10, 22:57
My Doctor is happy for me to go.

Checked and blood taken every six months for the diabetes.

Th bi-polar its every three months my shrink is happy for me to go as well.

I have relatives in New york I am going to stay with.

I suppose maybe I could ask my GP or my shrink do they have a list of insurers.

gillsib
28-Jul-10, 07:30
Hi

Try www.confused.com that'll give you a whole list of quotes if you enter your details just once. I have used them the last few years and it always somes up way cheaper than post office - worth a try. Enjoy the hols!!

samf1971
28-Jul-10, 09:05
Hi, we travel with my DH who is type 2 diabetic and also my stepdaughter who has heart problems and our insurance last year for a week in france was just £26 for the family. If you google pre existing medical condition travel insurance a long list will appear.

If you go with the "standard" travel insurance like the post office, they tend to give a high premium for covering you, whereas if you go to a company used to dealing with various conditions then you will find it's cheaper. Usually you just have to make sure that you've declared your conditions on a questionnaire that you fill in whilst getting the quote.

Good luck

LMS
29-Jul-10, 11:14
http://www.insureandgo.com/

They are very good and a fraction of the price of the PO. If you have a medical complaint you have to telephone them so that they can take down the details.

We had a claim with them for medical expenses abroad and it was settled quickly.

highland red
29-Jul-10, 12:33
The last time we went on holiday to North Africa my OH had a very serious accident: taken by emergency ambulance to hospital and operated on immediately. For the first time I had used a free holiday insurance that came through RBS.

I was absolutely terrified that this might turn out to be one of those services that were too good to be true, as you never really know how good your insurance is until you have to claim.

I need not have worried the RBS insurance people took over the care/hotel extra stay and everything, (with me keeping receipts for any incidentals etc).

They flew us all the way home to Wick (we had flights only to Inverness), and when it came to claiming, I had only to submit my excess payment of £50.

The company also dealt with our claim without any ifs and buts and paid within 10 days of us arriving back home............Fantastic care.

Fran
30-Jul-10, 00:10
www.Staysure.co.uk (http://www.Staysure.co.uk) is the one my friend usedand was only £19 for one week to spain. she has diabetes type 2 and has heart surgery. she was amazed at how cheap it was and it covers everything and she completed the form on line, paid by credit card and that was that, very good.

Dadie
30-Jul-10, 08:31
Think its a bit different between Europe and the states or the rest of the world.
Depends on where you are going.... I know insurance is more expensive to go to the states than europe .... not sure how much more for the rest of the world.... and that is without med probs!