PDA

View Full Version : Grrrrr! Rant, rant, rant, Grrr!

porshiepoo
02-Jul-06, 15:17
Just venting my anger for a minute.
I just can't believe some idiots!
We have a few acres of land that has stock fencing all the way around it to keep the dogs in. Had the dogs out today and all of a sudden saw them running round the cows field next door.
Luckily they're obedient and came back as soon as we shouted them but I couldn't get the dane back over the fence cos he's just too big to jump (never attempted to bless him) so we get the two shepherds while I scale the fence and walk round the land with the dane to shove him back in where they'd managed to get out of. What did I find??????
The neighbour had decided to take down our fence without asking so that he could drive a jcb onto our land - without asking- and dig out drainage to his land - without asking. The dogs had obviously legged it out from the fence he took down.
Hubby went to see what was going on and the man says that he saw the dogs get out! Blinkin charming! What an idiot. The dogs could have chased the cows or the calves and been in serious trouble or they could have gotten out onto the road.

I'm so angry cos the guy must have asked the farmers permission to take down his fence too but just didn't bother even letting us know - not even when he saw the dogs leg it. How cheeky is that???

Rant over - but still extremely angry. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!:mad:

golach
02-Jul-06, 15:21
We have a few acres of land that has stock fencing all the way around it to keep the dogs in. Had the dogs out today and all of a sudden saw them running round the cows field next door.
Luckily they're obedient and came back as soon as we shouted them but I couldn't get the dane back over the fence cos he's just too big to jump (never attempted to bless him) so we get the two shepherds while I scale the fence and walk round the land with the dane to shove him back in where they'd managed to get out of. What did I find??????
The neighbour had decided to take down our fence without asking so that he could drive a jcb onto our land - without asking- and dig out drainage to his land - without asking. The dogs had obviously legged it out from the fence he took down.
Hubby went to see what was going on and the man says that he saw the dogs get out! Blinkin charming! What an idiot. The dogs could have chased the cows or the calves and been in serious trouble or they could have gotten out onto the road.

I'm so angry cos the guy must have asked the farmers permission to take down his fence too but just didn't bother even letting us know - not even when he saw the dogs leg it. How cheeky is that???

Rant over - but still extremely angry. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!:mad:
That is what you call a good neighbor Porshie, I hope you gave him a peice of your mind [evil]

canuck
02-Jul-06, 17:57
Grrrring with you, for you, beside you, behind you. I can feel your energy all the way over here!

ice box
02-Jul-06, 18:22

Rant over - but still extremely angry. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!:mad:You always have have reason to moan .....there was no harm done so whats the problem

pink
02-Jul-06, 18:29
Ignorant neighbours ice box that would be the problem !!

How many would swerve to avoid a dane on the road i know i would .
Thank goodness you got your dogs back .

young_fishin_neep
02-Jul-06, 18:43
i would be extremely angry aswell, i have lost one dog to balmore as she managed to escape under the fence and get into the feild next door and it was heart breaking.

kaz xx

crystal
02-Jul-06, 19:16

Rant over - but still extremely angry. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!:mad: that is very cheeky indeed. im quite angry just reading it how ignorent can you get[evil] that is ignorents at its best that is if i could swear i would!

porshiepoo
02-Jul-06, 20:17
You always have have reason to moan .....there was no harm done so whats the problem

LOL. I'll be the first to admit I can moan but seriously would you not feel the same if that had happened to you?

If someone turned up on your land in a JCB, took down a fence and just watched your dogs run off into a cows field without any permission to be there and not even having the courtesy to let you know that your pets were out, would you not feel the right to moan?

If the dogs had worried the cows and their babes or the sheep what would have happened?
If the dogs had ran out into the road and caused an accident what would have happened?
If the dogs had bounded over to someones child and knocked them over what would have happened?
They may be a lot of what if's Ice box but we take all these precautions to prevent those things from happening and one inconsiderate idiot comes along and risks the life of our pets, the lives of passing motorists and possible trauma to local cattle. Hmmmmmmm, damn right I'll moan! [evil]

cuddlepop
02-Jul-06, 21:35
Some people just nevet think of others.Grrrrr with you ten times over because i Know as well as you that if anything happened to that mans animals because of your dogs it'd have been your fault even when it wasn'tGrrrr.
Ice box,Chill....Porshies entitled to be mad and have a well deserved moan[evil]

connieb19
02-Jul-06, 21:43
Why is everyone so wound up? Nothing happened, thank goodnes so what's the point in wittering on and on about what could have happened. If we were to live our lives like this we would never be done moaning!!:( I saw my neighbour drop a banana skin this afternoon, I could have slipped and broken my neck.:roll:

ice box
02-Jul-06, 21:57
Some people just nevet think of others.Grrrrr with you ten times over because i Know as well as you that if anything happened to that mans animals because of your dogs it'd have been your fault even when it wasn'tGrrrr.
Ice box,Chill....Porshies entitled to be mad and have a well deserved moan[evil]
Different story if something did happen but it didn't its all what ifs .

cuddlepop
02-Jul-06, 22:00
When you've got animals your always aware of the what if's
There like kids who need to be watched out for .they wouldn't have known the danger they were putting themselves in by going in that field.Thats why porshies angry.

ice box
02-Jul-06, 22:09
When you've got animals your always aware of the what if's
There like kids who need to be watched out for .they wouldn't have known the danger they were putting themselves in by going in that field.Thats why porshies angry.
I have animals and kids. She is just making a mountain out of a mole hill. I could see her point if something did happen and ok the farmer or digger driver was at fault taken down the fence. But why come on here ranting and raven over something that never happened .

Foxy
02-Jul-06, 22:18
The farmer had no right to take down your fence without your permission and if your dog had done anything to his cattle he would have been well within his rights to have your dog put down which would have been sad as he caused the problem in the first place.

brandy
02-Jul-06, 22:49
hmm .. just to point out.. at the end of the day the guy was tresspassing and destroyed private property.. that is a punishable offence if they wanted to press charges

connieb19
02-Jul-06, 22:55
hmm .. just to point out.. at the end of the day the guy was tresspassing and destroyed private property.. that is a punishable offence if they wanted to press chargesNothing like being nice and neighbourly.:roll:

brandy
02-Jul-06, 22:59
*laughs* connie.. i know .. but that is to go with all the ifs..
im just saying that if they wanted to be nasty about it .. they could..
as it sounds they guy wasnt to nice himself.
just a thought of what Could be done not what Should be done

krieve
02-Jul-06, 23:01
Am i right in saying that there are no trespassing laws in Scotland or am i wrong?

ice box
02-Jul-06, 23:03
Am i right in saying that there are no tresspassing laws in Scotland or am i wrong?
I think you could be right there is none in scotland

DrSzin
03-Jul-06, 00:57
Am i right in saying that there are no trespassing laws in Scotland or am i wrong?I think you're wrong (http://www.stonesofwonder.com/visiting.htm). But I suspect we're not talking about trespass here. I'm no lawyer, but I would hazard a guess that the neighbour broke several laws - and he certainly wasn't behaving in a neighbourly fashion. He should have at least asked if it was ok to do what he did.

Ricco
03-Jul-06, 07:33
You always have have reason to moan .....there was no harm done so whats the problem

Not sure I agree with you, Ice Box. When I lived in Thurso it was certainly policy to shoot dogs that worried livestock - no questions asked. THAT would be a problem for Porshiepoo. Or has the law changed?

As for the neighbour - sounds like a good case for civil prosecution to me.

porshiepoo
03-Jul-06, 10:58
Not sure I agree with you, Ice Box. When I lived in Thurso it was certainly policy to shoot dogs that worried livestock - no questions asked. THAT would be a problem for Porshiepoo. Or has the law changed?

As for the neighbour - sounds like a good case for civil prosecution to me.

I think you're right there. As far as I'm aware the farmer would have had the right to shoot the dogs if he thought they were worrying his livestock.
The farmer is actually quite a nice guy and probably would have come and told us if he had seen the dogs but I'm not sure what he would have done if the dogs had started chasing the babes.
GSD's will herd anything and danes still have that hunting instinct from being bred for boar hunting - could have been awful.

Not being funny icebox and connie but I'm damn sure you would have reacted in just the same way if someone had bulldozed down your fence without permission and let your animals out without a care in the world.

Maybe nothing did actually happen and alls well that ends well but when you have pets that you love and knew someone had put them in danger it grates...alot!

Ricco
03-Jul-06, 13:01
Another thing occured to me - I trust that this 'dozer-boy' is going to reinstate your fence - new! Not just prop up the old busted one (busted 'cos he 'dozed it over, that is).

JAWS
03-Jul-06, 14:05
As far as I can see, there is an offence of Trespass in Scotland but only if there is damage to land or property, which would appear to have been the case.

Dog worrying Farm Stock can be shot and the owner prosecuted for failing to keep the dog under control. .

Yes, on this occasion the dogs being set free resulted in no problems occurring, but that was more by good luck than by any care taken by the person who removed the fencing.

The attitude that people can do anything they wish and if by sheer luck nothing untoward happens then it doesn't matter speaks volumes.

Do the people who think that way believe it would be alright for me to wander round during dark winter evenings getting into people's empty houses and opening all the doors and windows.
Presumably, if nobody takes advantage of the situation to steal any property, then those taking that view wouldn't mind if it were their house because "there's no harm done"!
I don't think I would be far wrong if I suggest that they would be the first on the phone to the Police complaining about it.
Perhaps they would be satisfied if the Police simply asked them what they were moaning about because "there's no harm done"!

ice box
04-Jul-06, 00:47
He wasnt going through her house it was a field .

golach
04-Jul-06, 08:53
the word is HER field ice box, he had no right to do that,. Her field her property, just the same as her house as far as I am concerned.

ice box
04-Jul-06, 13:49
the word is HER field ice box, he had no right to do that,. Her field her property, just the same as her house as far as I am concerned.
What ever ...

JAWS
04-Jul-06, 14:18
It's still her property, if you don't like my analagy to windows and doors then how many people woulod accepts somebody just wandering through their garden and kicking a fence down to use as a short cut?

How many people tell kids off for coming into their gardens just collect a ball?

There is absolutely no difference there, except I've not suggested a neighbour should remove a fence and take a car across somebody's garden as a shortcut.

willowbankbear
04-Jul-06, 14:30
Porshie, send the digger driver a bill for the broken fenceposts & time & labour to re-erect the fence, if he doesnt pay well, dont take the law into your own hands

ice box
04-Jul-06, 15:29
It's still her property, if you don't like my analagy to windows and doors then how many people woulod accepts somebody just wandering through their garden and kicking a fence down to use as a short cut?

How many people tell kids off for coming into their gardens just collect a ball?

There is absolutely no difference there, except I've not suggested a neighbour should remove a fence and take a car across somebody's garden as a shortcut.
Jaws all i'm saying is there was no harm done so why make such a song and dance about it the farmer must of had reason to take the fence down fair enough he didnt get permisson to do so but it can be easliy put right . for the dogs taken off well that a different story shot dog not good .

golach
04-Jul-06, 15:36

Ice box, nothing about a farmer its was porshies neighbour that took the fences down, all he had to do was ask, I assume porshie would have said ok

ice box
04-Jul-06, 15:41
Ice box, nothing about a farmer its was porshies neighbour that took the fences down, all he had to do was ask, I assume porshie would have said ok
My mistake knuckles getting it again

willowbankbear
04-Jul-06, 15:43
Does porshie speak to her neighbour? maybe he`s too embarassed to speak to her after her topless Hammock escapade last week?[lol]

Blazing Sporrans
04-Jul-06, 16:32
[quote=JAWS]As far as I can see, there is an offence of Trespass in Scotland but only if there is damage to land or property, which would appear to have been the case.

Dog worrying Farm Stock can be shot and the owner prosecuted for failing to keep the dog under control. .

I think to trespass in Scotland, you have to make an encampment or otherwise occupy land or property to trespass but it's pretty old stuff. I'm not up to date on the new right to roam legislation and the ins and outs of that though. For dogs to worry livestock, I believe they have to be actively chasing cattle. For worrying sheep, they only have to be in a field or enclosure together. If the fence is down then surely it no longer becomes an enclosure? The legislation gives no RIGHT to shoot dogs - that comes from the decision of a Sheriff in an old court case - which is called a stated case. Basically it sets a precedent for other cases to follow. You can get all this info online if you're prepared to use search engines thoroughly. Not sure about the field no longer being an enclosure if the fence is down - just my opinion there for what it's worth. Hope this helps.

paris
04-Jul-06, 17:42
Have you fixed the fence now pooie ? I mean properly .Im sure if you speak to who ever knocked it down they would repair it...wouldnt they ?? Still a dam cheek though, and that took ages to do in the middle of winter. jan x

DrSzin
04-Jul-06, 17:58
Does porshie speak to her neighbour? maybe he`s too embarassed to speak to her after her topless Hammock escapade last week?[lol]Or maybe he wanted a closer look. :eek:

porshiepoo
04-Jul-06, 20:09
Or maybe he wanted a closer look. :eek:

Oo err! Perish the thought! [lol]

rockchick
04-Jul-06, 20:29
It could be that it's not the fence, the cows, or even so much the damage that could have been done, that bothers here - it's the lack of respect the neighbour showed ye when doing the work. I'm sure you wouldn't have begrudged your neighbour the use of your land, etc. if only they'd asked you, or told you, first. It's only polite!

As my granny (bless her soul) always told me...it's better to ask for permission than for forgiveness!

JAWS
04-Jul-06, 21:02
Jaws all i'm saying is there was no harm done so why make such a song and dance about it the farmer must of had reason to take the fence down fair enough he didnt get permisson to do so but it can be easliy put right . for the dogs taken off well that a different story shot dog not good .Fine, good point. But does that mean if a road is blocked I can pull somebody's fence down and drive across their property because I consider it a good enough reason? I think if I did that and said there was no harm done because it was only a garden then the owner would be straight on to the Police if not worse if they actually caught me doing it. I very much doubt they would consider me grovelling a little would put things right!
The fact that it was done proves a total lack of respect for other people and also for their property, field or not.
The fact that there was no physical harm done is not the point. The harm is the total disregard for decent polite behaviour, which seems to be coming less and less fashionable, or Cool if that is preferred.

abalone
04-Jul-06, 23:14
What ever ...

I hate that word,whatever.My six year old Grandson said it to me other day.I asked,whatever what?He didn't know.Hope you've got the fence fixed Porsh.

ice box
04-Jul-06, 23:57
I hate that word,whatever.My six year old Grandson said it to me other day.I asked,whatever what?He didn't know.Hope you've got the fence fixed Porsh.
what ever ...

JAWS
05-Jul-06, 00:27
what ever ...The only time I ever hear that phrase used is by somebody going int a terminal sulk because they cannot get their own way.
Abalone, it's use is probably about right for somebody as old as your six year old grandson.
You will hopefully discover that by the time he reaches seven he will have matured enough to have grown out of it.
Of course, some children never develop beyond that level of intellect, some even continue using it until they are eight or nine.

ice box
05-Jul-06, 00:34
The only time I ever hear that phrase used is by somebody going int a terminal sulk because they cannot get their own way.
Abalone, it's use is probably about right for somebody as old as your six year old grandson.
You will hopefully discover that by the time he reaches seven he will have matured enough to have grown out of it.
Of course, some children never develop beyond that level of intellect, some even continue using it until they are eight or nine.
typical English making a mountain out of a mole hill blah blah blah whatever end of discussion

JAWS
05-Jul-06, 00:45
typical English making a mountain out of a mole hill blah blah blah whatever end of discussionSorry, I didn't realise it was your bottom lip, it really did look like a mountain. Probably because I've never seen one that big before.

ice box
05-Jul-06, 00:46
Sorry, I didn't realise it was your bottom lip, it really did look like a mountain. Probably because I've never seen one that big before.
Dont give up your day job .

JAWS
05-Jul-06, 00:56
Dont give up your day job .I didn't, it gave me up! It couldn't cope with me any longer.

ice box
05-Jul-06, 00:57
I didn't, it gave me up! It couldn't cope with me any longer.
Now i can see why .

JAWS
05-Jul-06, 00:59
Now i can see why .That's more that the job managed. It ended up in a dark room muttering, "I don't believe it!"

Blazing Sporrans
05-Jul-06, 17:11
typical English making a mountain out of a mole hill blah blah blah whatever end of discussion

Isn't it a shame when someone else's thread ends up with unnecessary and unwanted petulance on the part of a third party who can't seem to indulge in mature dialogue?

scrapydoo
05-Jul-06, 17:33
Isn't it a shame when someone else's thread ends up with unnecessary and unwanted petulance on the part of a third party who can't seem to indulge in mature dialogue?

so you would rather that every thread was like this-
I agree with you .
I totally agree with you.
I'm with you on this one.
You have my support on this.
I couldn't agree with you more.:roll:
It would be boring, mundane and nobody would want to contribute any thing to the thread or the forum all together. There would be no point in Niall and Bill carrying on with it . It is supposed to be a board where everyone can air there thoughts and have discussions, Not a board where everyone is going to agree with everything or what would the point be. Instead of it being a discussions board the name could be changed to Caithness.Org agreement board . [disgust]

porshiepoo
05-Jul-06, 18:45
Disagreeing is one thing but being petulant for petulant's sake isn't really called for or necessary.

Icebox appears to be being his usual prejudice self on a matter which really didn't call for a persons heritage to be dragged into it, i can only assume that his comments were intended to provoke. Alas it just confirmed Icebox's mental age to the majority of us and hardly made for healthy disagreement.

Ah well in the mature, helpful words of Icebox - Whateverrrrr!

Blazing Sporrans
05-Jul-06, 20:21
so you would rather that every thread was like this-
I agree with you .
I totally agree with you.
I'm with you on this one.
You have my support on this.
I couldn't agree with you more.:roll:
It would be boring, mundane and nobody would want to contribute any thing to the thread or the forum all together. There would be no point in Niall and Bill carrying on with it . It is supposed to be a board where everyone can air there thoughts and have discussions, Not a board where everyone is going to agree with everything or what would the point be. Instead of it being a discussions board the name could be changed to Caithness.Org agreement board . [disgust]

There is a significant difference in people having a frank and open debate and sharing and airing their differing opinions and the 'contributions' that were coming of late from Icebox. As I stated, that was just petulance (in my humble opinion). Saying 'whatever' and then becoming mildly insulting adds nothing to debate - unless of course it's PM Questions in parliament!!!

rob1965
05-Jul-06, 20:43
as previousley said no harm done, but if someone ripped your fence down and dug a drainage channel into your garden I bet you would be upset.

scrapydoo
05-Jul-06, 21:12
as previousley said no harm done, but if someone ripped your fence down and dug a drainage channel into your garden I bet you would be upset.

Has anyone every thought why the person never never approached porshiepoo to ask if it was ok?

To be honest if someone ripped down my fence and dug a drainage channel into my garden they would be doing good because i don't have a fence........... i have a wall [lol]
so to answer your question no i would'nt have gone of on one!! I have more to worry about in life than a fence.:roll:

Errogie
05-Jul-06, 21:42
Porshiepoo,
The whole incident is obviously regrettable but you are going to have to go on living beside each other possibly for a long time. This is a time for firm intelligent diplomacy, and some sweetness and light. I have seen such incidents turn into an exercise in demonisation carried on down through the generations until the original cause has been totally lost sight of.

Look at this way you've got it off your chest and are one up in the exercise of favours so next time he has something you might like to borrow like a contractor usefully running round in a J.C.B. get right in there and reclaim. But in the meantime move on!.

katarina
05-Jul-06, 22:02
Has anyone every thought why the person never never approached porshiepoo to ask if it was ok?

To be honest if someone ripped down my fence and dug a drainage channel into my garden they would be doing good because i don't have a fence........... i have a wall [lol]
so to answer your question no i would'nt have gone of on one!! I have more to worry about in life than a fence.:roll:

But what if your much loved pets had got out and been killed on the road?

katarina
05-Jul-06, 22:02
There is a significant difference in people having a frank and open debate and sharing and airing their differing opinions and the 'contributions' that were coming of late from Icebox. As I stated, that was just petulance (in my humble opinion). Saying 'whatever' and then becoming mildly insulting adds nothing to debate - unless of course it's PM Questions in parliament!!!

Come back jjc, all is forgiven!

ice box
05-Jul-06, 23:20
Porshiepoo,
But in the meantime move on!.Is'nt that some good advice ;)

Saveman
05-Jul-06, 23:23
Come back jjc, all is forgiven!

Be careful what you wish for......you just might get it...or not.... ;)

Oddquine
05-Jul-06, 23:29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Errogie
Porshiepoo,
But in the meantime move on!.

Is'nt that some good advice ;)

And maybe that is just what the rant on here helped her to do. ;)

And if it is all she has done about it, then she's been more laid-back than I would have been in the same circumstances.

ice box
05-Jul-06, 23:30
But what if your much loved pets had got out and been killed on the road?Well that would of been sad:~( but it's up to the owner or who ever is responsible for the animal to make sure it under control regardless of the fence being brought down or if it had a hole in it. If my pet got out and got knocked over its my responsibility not the person that hit it . It should of been under my control not the fault of someone else (PS by the way porshie just cause i say what ever doesn't make me thick )

DrSzin
05-Jul-06, 23:36
Well that would of been sad:~( but it's up to the owner or who ever is responsible for the animal to make sure it under control regardless of the fence being brought down or if it had a hole in it. If my pet got out and got knocked over its my responsibility not the person that hit it . It should of been under my control not the fault of someone else (PS by the way porshie just cause i say what ever doesn't make me thick )Lol ice box, methinks the first rule of holes doth apply here:

When stuck in a hole - stop digging!

Especially if the hole is in porshiepoo's back yard. :lol:

FWIW, I agree wholeheartedly with Oddquine.

porshiepoo
06-Jul-06, 09:29
[quote=ice box]Well that would of been sad but it's up to the owner or who ever is responsible for the animal to make sure it under control regardless of the fence being brought down or if it had a hole in it. If my pet got out and got knocked over its my responsibility not the person that hit it . It shou]ld of been under my control not the fault of someone else (PS by the way porshie just cause i say what ever doesn't make me thick )[/quote

My god man have you heard yourself!
Thats exactly what I've been saying!!!!!!!!!
It is my responsibility to ensure that my dogs are kept safe and under control - which is why we have stock fencing surrounding the entire property - and which is checked regular for breaks. Because we know the fence is safe we let our dogs out without a worry about their safety or that of the cattle next door or the people using the main road.
But how are we supposed to be responsible when one idiot comes along without even the common courtesy to ask permission or even just let us know he's taking down the fence so that we can ensure the dogs are away safely and can't escape?

I've used this thread as a ranting post basically. I didn't go round to the neighbours all guns blazing - much as I wanted to - because I know I would have said something I regret and it would have escalated further.
As far as I'm aware the neighbours are very nice people. In actual fact their dog has escaped numerous times and ended up on our land when our gates been open - I've even returned it to them a couple of times.
I'm not saying that the neighbours were aware the dogs were out but the guy that they employed to use the JCB most certainly was, and at the end of the day it was the neighbours responsibility to let us know that they intended to carry out work on our land. :mad:

Oo Eck! Please tell me you're not the neighbour IceBox?????? [lol]

scrapydoo
06-Jul-06, 10:14
Had the dogs out today and all of a sudden saw them running round the cows field next door.

[lol] yes it is your responsibility to keep your dogs under control at all times, you obviously never had your dog's under control the whole time or you would have noticed the dog's legging it before you saw them running around the cows Field.

But how are we supposed to be responsible when one idiot comes along without even the common courtesy to ask permission or even just let us know he's taking down the fence so that we can ensure the dogs are away safely and can't escape?

You are supposed to be responsible for your dogs at all times even if (some idiot) as you call him comes along and takes down your fence .

I'm not saying that the neighbours were aware the dogs were out but the guy that they employed to use the JCB most certainly was, and at the end of the day it was the neighbours responsibility to let us know that they intended to carry out work on our land.

The Jcb driver (the idiot) as you call him was payed to do a job by your neighbours so why should the jcb driver be bothered if he seen your dogs ,like i have said before it was your responsibility to keep your animals under control at all times.

katarina
06-Jul-06, 11:00
[lol] yes it is your responsibility to keep your dogs under control at all times, you obviously never had your dog's under control the whole time or you would have noticed the dog's legging it before you saw them running around the cows Field.
You are supposed to be responsible for your dogs at all times even if (some idiot) as you call him comes along and takes down your fence .
The Jcb driver (the idiot) as you call him was payed to do a job by your neighbours so why should the jcb driver be bothered if he seen your dogs ,like i have said before it was your responsibility to keep your animals under control at all times.
The dogs WERE under control, fenced in as far as porchie was concerned - were they not? I think it would have been common Courtesy to let the owners know the dogs were legging it, and most people would have seen the problem. Dogs running loose in the countryside is not a good thing. I think the driver was either too lazy or thoughtless to put himself to the bother. Too much of the, 'it's not my job, so why should I worry?' brigade.

Ricco
06-Jul-06, 11:17
I think this all boils down to being sensible (plan out what you intend to do), being reasonable (checking what and whom your are going to affect) and being neighbourly (notify your neighbours of your intentions).

If I am going to drill some holes in any wall in my house for whatever reason I
a) choose a sociable time of day
b) always make sure my neighbours know what I am going to do.

The same goes if I have a barbeque or friends round. I must say that neither set of neighbours reciprocate!

The dogs were under control - they were enclosed in a secure garden; I mean, you don't expect someone to suddenly drive a digger through your fence without letting you know, do you?

The JCB driver was just doing his job but anyone with a modicom of reasoning power would deduce that this here fence didn't seem to belong to that there house (where he was working) and you might expect him to make a few synaptic connections and start making enquiries.

The neighbour is clearly inconsiderate, selfish and a bit of a danger to the local livestock and wildlife. I would put the blame plainly at the door of the neighbour.

porshiepoo
06-Jul-06, 14:54

I assume then that you would be perfectly fine with an unknown neighbour turning up at your house, barging down your door, watching without care or concern as any beloved family pets disappear and proceeds to carry out work on your internal walls?????? All without any permission or forewarning??????
If so, then good for you, but I happen to love my dogs and care about what happens to them, which is why we have made sure all fencing is secure enough to keep them on our land and away from the road and farm animals - assuming the fencing is standing of course! Just the thought that someone needlessly endangered their lives just ...well....grates!
And just a point of fact - had we been forewarned we would have made sure the dogs were safely away - as would have been our responsibility.

porshiepoo
06-Jul-06, 14:56
I think this all boils down to being sensible (plan out what you intend to do), being reasonable (checking what and whom your are going to affect) and being neighbourly (notify your neighbours of your intentions).

If I am going to drill some holes in any wall in my house for whatever reason I
a) choose a sociable time of day
b) always make sure my neighbours know what I am going to do.

The same goes if I have a barbeque or friends round. I must say that neither set of neighbours reciprocate!

The dogs were under control - they were enclosed in a secure garden; I mean, you don't expect someone to suddenly drive a digger through your fence without letting you know, do you?

The JCB driver was just doing his job but anyone with a modicom of reasoning power would deduce that this here fence didn't seem to belong to that there house (where he was working) and you might expect him to make a few synaptic connections and start making enquiries.

The neighbour is clearly inconsiderate, selfish and a bit of a danger to the local livestock and wildlife. I would put the blame plainly at the door of the neighbour.

Please can you be my neighbour???????? :) ;)

Ricco
06-Jul-06, 16:05
Please can you be my neighbour???????? :) ;)

Love to... but what are you like as a neighbour? Do you mind birds - except scorries that is?

Blazing Sporrans
06-Jul-06, 17:28

What utter nonsense! I'm hoping that this is a wind-up by Scrapydoo, otherwise I'd never want a neighbour like you mate... No pet owner could be held responsible for any subsequent actions of their dogs if some third party allowed said dogs to get out of a secure area into one where there was livestock. To do so knowingly could be an offence on the part of the workman - not the animal owner. Why not educate yourself a wee bit before expressing your opinions as if they were fact?

Maybe I'm getting old when I start thinking of my wise old granny telling me that every day can be a school day :eek:

JAWS
07-Jul-06, 00:55
Has anyone every thought why the person never never approached porshiepoo to ask if it was ok?Yes I most certainly have. I have often thought about such things long and in depth.

The only conclusion I have ever arrrived at is that some people, and also the people who try to excuse their behaviour, are totally inconsiderate of anything that is not their's.
They are the sort of people who see no wrong in ripping wing-mirrors off cars or ripping the flower beds up in the middle of town, "It's not mine so it doesn't matter!"

Fortunately, in Caithness, they haven't yet discovered the benefit of letting everybody know how pathetic they are by using cans of spray-paint to display their childishness to everybody.

You can spot them a mile off by their, "So what! It ain't mine, forget it!" attitude.
Unfortunately they usually do move on, and usually to the cost of somebody else who's property they don't know how to respect!

Moira
07-Jul-06, 01:20
What utter nonsense! I'm hoping that this is a wind-up by Scrapydoo, otherwise I'd never want a neighbour like you mate... No pet owner could be held responsible for any subsequent actions of their dogs if some third party allowed said dogs to get out of a secure area into one where there was livestock. To do so knowingly could be an offence on the part of the workman - not the animal owner. Why not educate yourself a wee bit before expressing your opinions as if they were fact?

Maybe I'm getting old when I start thinking of my wise old granny telling me that every day can be a school day :eek:

I think Scrapydoo has just found the hole which Icebox was digging - but left alone after the advice from DrSzin, and thought it might be fun to dig it a bit deeper. Does anyone know the guy with the JCB ? - we could maybe persuade him to fill the hole in, before anyone else falls down it.

Hope to see you at the Latheron Show, Porshiepoo - I still can't quite believe that the "Latheron Show" is being held north of Lybster! There must be a good reason for this - no doubt someone will inform me shortly :confused

porshiepoo
07-Jul-06, 08:44
I think Scrapydoo has just found the hole which Icebox was digging - but left alone after the advice from DrSzin, and thought it might be fun to dig it a bit deeper. Does anyone know the guy with the JCB ? - we could maybe persuade him to fill the hole in, before anyone else falls down it.

Hahahaha, yep, we do. I'll gladly fill it back in. :lol:

Hope to see you at the Latheron Show, Porshiepoo - I still can't quite believe that the "Latheron Show" is being held north of Lybster! There must be a good reason for this - no doubt someone will inform me shortly :confused

Well when you find out let me know cos it's something we've asked ourselves!
I'm sure I'll be at the showground at some point, i was gonna take a dane but I'm not so sure now.
Hope y'all enjoy the birds though. It'll be their first time at such an event which concerns me but they're fine with people normally so they should be ok, but that's why they're only taking the three birds - so they have the one each to concentrate on.
The Eagle owl is a bit of a wimp lol, she tends to want to hide under your arm all the time but she's happy to see people.
The barn owl is pretty happy to see anyone and the buzzard is the wild escapee that Justin from the spca recently recaught for us.

fred
07-Jul-06, 09:14

The parish of Latheron extends from Berriedale to Bruan.