PDA

View Full Version : stirring the religious cauldrum

brandy
02-Jul-06, 14:59
*giggles*
here we go guys.. have a good think on this one!
http://www.everystudent.com/forum/woman.html

porshiepoo
02-Jul-06, 15:07
Does it not make more sense that 'God' is neither male or female?????;)

tisme
02-Jul-06, 15:32
:roll: ......................[lol]

connieb19
02-Jul-06, 15:34
......................[lol]Exactly..lol:eek:

changilass
02-Jul-06, 15:35
As most authors decide the sex of their characters, I would imagine god is whatever the writer of the book wanted him/her to be. :D

golach
02-Jul-06, 15:38
What is God?......a backward Dog?

connieb19
02-Jul-06, 15:49
God?

A confused 9-year-old goes up to his mother and asks, "Is God male or female?"
After thinking for a moment, his mother responds, "Well, honey, God is both male and female."
This confuses the little boy, so he asks, "Is God black or white?" "Well, God is both black and white." This further confuses the boy so he asks, "Is God gay or straight?" At this the mother is getting concerned, but answers none the less, "Honey, God is both gay and straight." At this the boy's face lights up with understanding and he triumphantly asks, "Mom, is God Michael Jackson?"

changilass
02-Jul-06, 16:11
Nice one Connie:lol:

scorrie
02-Jul-06, 16:15
*giggles*
here we go guys.. have a good think on this one!
http://www.everystudent.com/forum/woman.html

I have to say that you, as a committed believer in God, have a very naive and simplistic way of looking at the subject. As a, supposed, omnipresent being it is inconceivable that God could have any shape or form as we know it, far less any gender.

The energy and natural forces at work on planet Earth and in the Universe as a whole could be viewed as that which controls us all. Whether the happenings generated by these are random, or all part of a grand plan are two possible ways of looking at life.

That is, of course, only my way of looking at matters but it would seem more plausible than a mannie or wifie in the sky, busily clocking every beat of a fly's wings in case it causes a Tsunami.

brandy
02-Jul-06, 16:21
*laughs* i have a very simplistic view when it comes to God.. simply God can be anything God wants to be.
have always thought of God as being male.. but thats just because of the way history has portrayed things..
but im not bothered either way..
as far as im concerned all forms of God is still God... no matter what the religion.. or creed.. at the end of the day.. God is God..

canuck
02-Jul-06, 17:50
I have to say that you, as a committed believer in God, have a very naive and simplistic way of looking at the subject. As a, supposed, omnipresent being it is inconceivable that God could have any shape or form as we know it, far less any gender.

The energy and natural forces at work on planet Earth and in the Universe as a whole could be viewed as that which controls us all. Whether the happenings generated by these are random, or all part of a grand plan are two possible ways of looking at life.

That is, of course, only my way of looking at matters but it would seem more plausible than a mannie or wifie in the sky, busily clocking every beat of a fly's wings in case it causes a Tsunami.

As someone who reads these kinds of articles regularly, let me suggest that this article is not really presenting a simplistic view of God. Perhaps on first reading it is generating that kind of response for some people. Granted it does use some theological techno-speak and that might be misleading.
At the end of the day, as brandy says "God is God". Of course God is beyond what we can comprehend, but there are aspects of God which we can understand. We use our experience and words to try to explain that understanding. Probably none of us get it all (maybe Jesus came close, but he was a guy and he didn't do "elshadi", God the big breasted one, too well). That is why we have to share. Our little bit may seem simplistic to others because it isn't the whole. Our individual experience was never meant to be the whole. But together, if we work at it, we can create a pretty good picture of that whole.

scorrie
02-Jul-06, 18:45
*laughs* i have a very simplistic view when it comes to God.. simply God can be anything God wants to be.
have always thought of God as being male.. but thats just because of the way history has portrayed things..
but im not bothered either way..
as far as im concerned all forms of God is still God... no matter what the religion.. or creed.. at the end of the day.. God is God..

If God is God, why bother posting the article? You contradict yourself by stating that you have always thought of God as being male but then go on to state that God is God. That seems to be a fundamental failure to grasp the nature of God at the most basic level in my opinion.

pultneytooner
02-Jul-06, 19:04
I know I am being a pedantic git but it's Cauldron not cauldrum.

scorrie
02-Jul-06, 19:15
As someone who reads these kinds of articles regularly, let me suggest that this article is not really presenting a simplistic view of God. Perhaps on first reading it is generating that kind of response for some people. Granted it does use some theological techno-speak and that might be misleading.
At the end of the day, as brandy says "God is God". Of course God is beyond what we can comprehend, but there are aspects of God which we can understand. We use our experience and words to try to explain that understanding. Probably none of us get it all (maybe Jesus came close, but he was a guy and he didn't do "elshadi", God the big breasted one, too well). That is why we have to share. Our little bit may seem simplistic to others because it isn't the whole. Our individual experience was never meant to be the whole. But together, if we work at it, we can create a pretty good picture of that whole.

I cannot say I have read these type of articles regulary but what I can say is those I have read always quote ad infinitum from the Bible, which, as we all know is a rather old reference book, written when people believed in, and performed, rather strange things. I like to think that the human race is less gullible now, than it was in those times.

To the article itself. It points out both masculine and feminine ways of interpreting God. We could apply that to any human being. We have male and female sides of the brain and are made from male and female components. We could probably analyse any man and find some feminine aspect of his character or behaviour. This does not prove anything though. We humans have a strange habit of attributing gender to non-human objects, Mother Earth, Father Time etc, seemingly desperate to make these things share some of our characteristics. I have no doubt this is why it is stated that God made us in his (sic) own image.

It is fairly clear that God is different, and means different things, to different people. Not all, perhaps none of them, are correct. It is all too chaotic and confused for even a dis-organised, mere human to have created. I would expect a mega being, totally beyond our ken to have been able to craft a system of a clear Superior to whom we all answered to ultimately.

My tiny mind, with its limited powers, is happier with the notion that there is no God. It seems a much more logical conclusion based on my life experience and observations of others thinking on the matter. I realise that won't mean a mote to many people but I would rather be that way than a faux Christian like Cliff "I'm so angry with God" Richard.

brandy
02-Jul-06, 20:07
scorrie hun now that made sence to me *G*
but reverse it to say .. that so i do belive in God .. even though i dont have a chance of understanding it at the moment..
when i said that i thought of God as a Him .. simply put that God has always been refered to as a He.. and not a She.
i know my mind boggles when i think about it too much..
but yet i do .. all the time.
I want to understand the universe and everything in it.
but i know that propably aint gonna happen in this lifetime.
however will not stop me trying.
the one thing i have never agreed with is blind faith in religion..
i personally feel you should not follow blindly because you have been told to.
now please guys dont try and twist my words because i am trying to express feelings and faith and my twisted logic into words here..
i feel that to love God and trust in God is a wonderful thing.
i Have always belived in and Loved God.
however i have also always questioned God.
and i always will.
and i will teach my children the same thing rheg. *G* you never ever accept something as read.. you question and demand answers if you feel the need.
you may not always get the answer you want but at least you have asked the question.
to be a christian and to Love God... dosent mean that you have to follow a set pattern or strict rules..
how can you put rules and strictures .. on faith and belief?
you either believe and have faith or you dont.
rheg. this one for you..
i want to teach my children about my faith and beliefs.. and whatever they choose i will always love them.. just because they may not think the way i do.. or do the things i do.. or what i would like them to do.. does not change the fact that they are a part of me.. and i will always love them ...
i really really hope they dont grow up the be psyco killers.. or anything like that.. but anything else and im cool.. all i want for my family is for my boys to grow up strong honest caring men.
and if i teach them their standards using bible stories.. and probverbs that show compassion.. and love .. and strength.. and teach how evil and wicked people.. reap what they sew.. then why is that a bad thing?
it is a moralization..
*grins*
i really really hope this makes some sence.. cause im not to sure it does.. thinking about re reading it before i post it.. but not going to as i will just prob. then delete it.. *whew* hope heads are not swimming now guys!

Bingobabe
02-Jul-06, 20:11
So is god a transexual then??????:eek: :confused

JAWS
02-Jul-06, 21:54
Surely God is an "Entity" and as such can be considered as either Male or Female or even, if required, Asexual.

The particular picture by which any individual perceives God matters not. What matters is the way people behave in order to carry out what is considered to be the wishes of their particular God.

It is only in Monotheist Religions that people worry over the particular “Sex” of God. In reality the discussion is as relevant as deciding if air or water is male or female, no matter which you decide on it will not make air or water any different, they will simply remain exactly as they are.

Kenn
02-Jul-06, 22:33
There are and have been many female gods but what bothers me is what is a god?
If any one can give me a sensible answer I would very much like to read it.

gleeber
02-Jul-06, 23:11
There are and have been many female gods but what bothers me is what is a god?
If any one can give me a sensible answer I would very much like to read it.
A God is an exterior reality created by an interior fantasy,:confused
A God is an everlasting daddy and mummy.:D
I'm sure there are other sensible answers Lizz but a lot depends on where we were born.

unicorn
02-Jul-06, 23:20
God is what you want it to be when you need it.

Rheghead
02-Jul-06, 23:48
God is what you want it to be when you need it.

Like a lost lotto ticket or a phillips screwdriver? :D

abalone
03-Jul-06, 00:45
Surely God is the energy that created the universe?

golach
03-Jul-06, 09:15
I'm sure there are other sensible answers Lizz but a lot depends on where we were born.
Hmmm explains a lot, I was born in the Dunbar maternity hospital in Thursa, so what answer do I / should I believe in then

JAWS
03-Jul-06, 11:13
Surely God is the energy that created the universe?No abalone, it's quite simple really. Nothing, nothing, nothing, Big Bang, EVERYTHING!
You see, all is explained, everything appeared suddenly from nothing!
Before there was everything there was nothing so there is nothing to explain which explains everything.
At least, I think that is what I am supposed to believe, or am I?
And then people tell me believing in a God doesn't make sense.

phoenix
03-Jul-06, 12:14
There is no such thing as nothing Jaws! Our son came up here from Leeds the other week, he says theres nothing up here! He and his wife went a drive up west and came back and said there's nothing there! :confused I says what do you mean theres nothing there, he says exactly that there is nothing! I says there is something there, no he says theres nothing. A debate ensued as to what was nothing, he saw nothing I see, land, houses, mountains, rivers, trees, animals birds, sky, clouds etc etc that is not nothing. He says to you maybe but not to me theres nothing there! God knows how he managed to drive the car on nothing! :confused

JAWS
03-Jul-06, 14:15
There is no such thing as nothing Jaws! Our son came up here from Leeds the other week, he says theres nothing up here! He and his wife went a drive up west and came back and said there's nothing there! I says what do you mean theres nothing there, he says exactly that there is nothing! I says there is something there, no he says theres nothing. A debate ensued as to what was nothing, he saw nothing I see, land, houses, mountains, rivers, trees, animals birds, sky, clouds etc etc that is not nothing. He says to you maybe but not to me theres nothing there! God knows how he managed to drive the car on nothing! :confusedPhoenix, your son has solved a problem scientists have been struggling with for an eternity. The origin of the Universe has been found. It is Out West.
Before you know it Sutherland will be swamped with them in the search for the exact point of origin.
Somebody had best warn Bettyhill! :lol

phoenix
03-Jul-06, 14:27
Phoenix, your son has solved a problem scientists have been struggling with for an eternity. The origin of the Universe has been found. It is Out West.
Before you know it Sutherland will be swamped with them in the search for the exact point of origin.
Somebody had best warn Bettyhill! :lol

[lol] Not Bettyhill Jaws........its somewhere around Tongue and Durness! [lol]

Kenn
03-Jul-06, 22:11
Just one problem with that Jaws, it would appear that the Big Bang has happened on more thn once!

mostlyharmless
03-Jul-06, 22:28
Grievous the org is becoming godlike in demanding that I put something on here as I have not for several weeks.
But is it god like because it is giving demands; setting guidelines; or allowing free speech?
Anyway still glad to see people can discuss religion and not get too upset
the recent clambering over that book.Da ..you know the one, shows me many people are desperate for the whole religious thing to be proved absolute rubbish ,,,is this to make them comfortable or uncomfortably comfortable.or......are we saying we're wise enough to know the mysteries of the universe and yet simple enough to think we can win the lottery.
No... we hope..but hope is positive so surely even in disbelief we should hope for more than we know.

Anyway do you think we carry the gene memory of all our ancestors?
If so do we dream there memories or live with there faults and if we regress far enough will we remember swinging through a tree or talking with a god?

Oh and if a creator has made us like him surely he will have a wife so there must be both ..

JAWS
04-Jul-06, 20:34
Just one problem with that Jaws, it would appear that the Big Bang has happened on more thn once!There must have been an original one on some occassion. (I nearly said "Time" but it couldn't have existed when there was nothing). I went to Wigan once but there was nithing there so perhaps that was where the original one was! (If anybody from Wigan reads this, yes, I know there's a pier and very nice it is too:) ).

golach
04-Jul-06, 22:06
Just one problem with that Jaws, it would appear that the Big Bang has happened on more thn once!
Wow that explains a lot......The Earth has moved for me....a few times :eyes

abalone
04-Jul-06, 23:35
Wow that explains a lot......The Earth has moved for me....a few times :eyes

You lucky thing:D

golach
04-Jul-06, 23:55
You lucky thing:D
I know I know an Mrs G was pleased as weel [lol]

Chobbersjnr
05-Jul-06, 00:11
know.

Anyway do you think we carry the gene memory of all our ancestors?
Oh and if a creator has made us like him surely he will have a wife so there must be both ..
I must point out that this was posted by Gleber2 by mistake. One PC between two is not on, is it.
In my cosmology there is no doubt that we carry the gene memories of our ancestral line. It is just as well that most of us cannot access these memories on a conscious level as the experience would be likely to drive us insane. To take that a step further, it would appear, from the female side at least,that we come from one female ancestor. If this is so, then there is a possibility that we carry the combined memories of every human who has ever lived up to our birth time. The storage capacity of one cell is astonishing and I would imagine that the storage capacity of the brain and body is unbelievable. How much more is in the DNA code that we have not yet begun to discover??

For me, the true magician is one who can create something out of nothing. Why then would a wife be required?

katarina
05-Jul-06, 10:59
For me, the true magician is one who can create something out of nothing. Why then would a wife be required?

Ummm......I'll let ye answer that one yourself gleber2......