PDA

View Full Version : Facebook / E-mail scam

Wellies
26-Jul-10, 21:21
Just a warning to everyone. A friend of mine has just had both her facebook and e-mail hacked into. The scammers have e-mailed all her friends with a sob story about her being mugged in spain and the embassy and police being of no help. They went on to ask for help with the situation. I can only presume they were working towards asking for money. She has frozen all her accounts, and reported it all to the appropriate people.

Whoever has done this is very bold, as when i logged in they started a chat conversation with me, and tried telling me the same story. It was really freaky, as the friend in question was sitting at my side, as this person was claiming to be her (in Spain, when she was actually in Caithness!!!)

Maybe its not the most clever of scam attempts, but someone could still have been caught out by it. Just a warning to you all to check your accounts and change passwords if you think anything odd is going on. Also to ignore any sob stories about yuro friends being mugged in Spain!!

Fran
27-Jul-10, 00:05
this happened to a friend of mine who is on the org and was away from home at the time. her friends and i were very worried about her, but it was the same scam as this one.