PDA

View Full Version : Dentist

Kevin Milkins
26-Jul-10, 16:09
There has been several threads on how difficult it can be to get registered for an NHS dentist in the far North.:confused

I have been on the waiting list four years and at the last time of checking, (1-10-09) I was 921 on the list at Helmsdale, and 6669 on the list for the Lochelle practice.

About a month ago, Mrs M saw an advert in paper for a practice in Golspie that were taking on NHS patients, so we registered. We had a check up two weeks ago and we went for our treatment today, (I had three fillings and Mrs M had one):Razz

The only downside of going down to Golspie is, do we not eat at La-Mirage, or tackle a fish tea with a numb gum, numb gum it was.

If anyone is as desperate as we were to get a dental appointment, it's ADC Golspie Practice Ltd
Main Street, Golspie
Sutherland
KW10 6RA

01408 633019.

We were attended by a very nice young lady named Jolanta Zwolinska.

spaceddaisy
26-Jul-10, 16:19
Thanks very much for that. Just called them, the waiting list is between 6 and 8 weeks just now. They'll call me after that to arrange an appointment. Far better than the ridiculous length of time I would have to wait for an appointment with one in Wick or Helmsdale.

porshiepoo
26-Jul-10, 16:55
Been on the waiting list for Helmsdale or Wick for 4/5 years now and got our letter of acceptance a month or two ago. We've just recieved a letter from Helmsdale to make our first appointment.

Now I'm pooping my pants cos I'm seriously phobic about the dentist. :(

poppett
26-Jul-10, 17:14
Having been on the waiting list since day one my OH had a letter last week offering him the dental practice at Dunbar. Delighted with this, but the offer was just for him because he had been fast tracked due to his cancer. After some discussion they agreed to take me on as well, as I am his registered carer, and it was silly having dentists 300 miles apart (we were still seeing our old dentist in Edinburgh, combined with urology appointments as the Western)..........then the sting in the tail, the department is being refurbed and is presently in a mobile unit with very steep steps which OH couldn`t get up. In no time the dentist had offered to visit at home for the first check up and can arrange for himself to do any treatment at Lochshell in the meantime. First class.

Blarney
26-Jul-10, 22:16
What I find really perplexing is that you will be fast-tracked at Lochshell if you have dentures. Surely it would be preferable to see the patients with their own teeth first and try to preserve them. The emphasis should be on preventative treatment particularly as gum disease can have serious implications on general health.

Fran
27-Jul-10, 00:03
Having been on the waiting list since day one my OH had a letter last week offering him the dental practice at Dunbar. Delighted with this, but the offer was just for him because he had been fast tracked due to his cancer. After some discussion they agreed to take me on as well, as I am his registered carer, and it was silly having dentists 300 miles apart (we were still seeing our old dentist in Edinburgh, combined with urology appointments as the Western)..........then the sting in the tail, the department is being refurbed and is presently in a mobile unit with very steep steps which OH couldn`t get up. In no time the dentist had offered to visit at home for the first check up and can arrange for himself to do any treatment at Lochshell in the meantime. First class.

Surely you would be under the hospital dentist in caithness general,wick. have you contacted them?

poppett
27-Jul-10, 23:08
Hi Fran, I have spoken to the dental surgeon in Inverness` secretary about dental surgery in CG and she told me they don`t have a dental surgeon doing surgery in Wick at the moment! Find that hard to believe, but can only go by what I have been told.