PDA

View Full Version : British Success

KitKat
01-Jul-06, 23:29
Just wanted to say sorry to all my English friends that their team didn't get through to the next round of the World Cup today. We did have a British success today though as Andy Murray from Dunblane in Scotland has beaten Andy Roddick to get through to the next round at Wimbledon

Ricco
02-Jul-06, 06:51
Aye - and good luck to Andy. The country needs something to pick it up after the failures of the England team.

As to all of those who have been knocking the England team, I thought they played very well after Rooney went off - just couldn't make good their efforts. (I noticed that Scotland weren't playing, so I would have supposed that Scotland supporters would have backed their neighbours?)

Anyway, I am sure the English WILL be backing Andy Murray.

Nello
02-Jul-06, 18:50
I was watching Sky News this Morning and Andy was described as a British Success at Wilmbledon .. it was not that long ago he was being described as Scottish (especially when he said he wouldnt support England) but now that Henman is out of Wimbledon and England are out of the World Cup he suddenly becomes a British success.

I think England did play well at times and to be honest I dont think that on their performances overall neither England or Portugal deserved to go through but not once did I hear England's victories in the World Cup described as a British success and I am fairly sure that if they had won it would have been an English Victory .. and rightly so in my view.

All banter aside I do comiserate with the England Fans and this just a comment on the hypocrisy of the English Media who seem to define nationality like this :

English : English when they win, British when they lose.

Scottish,Welsh,Irish : British when they win, their own nationality when they lose.

Once again not a comment about English people .. just the English Media.

footie chick
02-Jul-06, 18:54
how very true

pultneytooner
02-Jul-06, 18:57
Just wanted to say sorry to all my English friends that their team didn't get through to the next round of the World Cup today. We did have a British success today though as Andy Murray from Dunblane in Scotland has beaten Andy Roddick to get through to the next round at Wimbledon
Ahem, andy murray is scottish.

DW
02-Jul-06, 19:03
I noticed in the Sunday Times (pretendy Scottish edition) that one of the tennis pundits stated that as Andy Murray is already a millionaire the LTA shouldn't volunteer to pay for a coach for him, he should pay for the coach himself.
This is afte the LTA chief Exec has said they are willing to pay up to £0.5m for a coach.

Wonder if they would have argued about Chinless Tim getting dosh for a coach?

pultneytooner
02-Jul-06, 19:05
Was chinless tim worth a coach???
I think the difference between tim and andy is that andy is a natural, henman is a practiced proffesional as was kevin keegan in football.

DW
02-Jul-06, 19:06

Aye, a number 13 away from Wimbledon......... [lol]

pultneytooner
02-Jul-06, 19:09
Aye, a number 13 away from Wimbledon......... [lol]
hahahahahaha, wish i'd thought of that.

Dali
02-Jul-06, 19:21
I was watching Sky News this Morning and Andy was described as a British Success at Wilmbledon .. it was not that long ago he was being described as Scottish (especially when he said he wouldnt support England) but now that Henman is out of Wimbledon and England are out of the World Cup he suddenly becomes a British success.

I think England did play well at times and to be honest I dont think that on their performances overall neither England or Portugal deserved to go through but not once did I hear England's victories in the World Cup described as a British success and I am fairly sure that if they had won it would have been an English Victory .. and rightly so in my view.

All banter aside I do comiserate with the England Fans and this just a comment on the hypocrisy of the English Media who seem to define nationality like this :

Scottish,Welsh,Irish : British when they win, their own nationality when they lose.

Once again not a comment about English people .. just the English Media.

How everway you want to look at it he is British . So Scotish ,Irish ,Welsh and English all = British.

Nello
02-Jul-06, 19:39
How everway you want to look at it he is British . So Scotish ,Irish ,Welsh and English all = British.

Maybe .. but my point was that the England team were never reffered to as British and if they had won it would have been an English Victory. As Andy Murray is Scottish and indeed was constantly reminded of the fact by the English Media when he wouldnt support England. And he is at Wimbledon as an Individual .. who says his nationality is Scottish.

My point was that after complaining that as a Scotsman he wouldnt support England now the English media are now referring to him as British .. but only now that Henman is out of Wimbledon and England out of the World Cup.

That smacks of hypocrisy to me .. [disgust]

I may well be British .. but I am Scottish by the Grace of God .. ;)

Dali
02-Jul-06, 20:04
Maybe .. but my point was that the England team were never reffered to as British and if they had won it would have been an English Victory. As Andy Murray is Scottish and indeed was constantly reminded of the fact by the English Media when he wouldnt support England. And he is at Wimbledon as an Individual .. who says his nationality is Scottish.

My point was that after complaining that as a Scotsman he wouldnt support England now the English media are now referring to him as British .. but only now that Henman is out of Wimbledon and England out of the World Cup.

That smacks of hypocrisy to me .. [disgust]

I may well be British .. but I am Scottish by the Grace of God .. ;)

Well He may be a scotsman but he plays tennis for GreatBritain hence he would be British. Who comes from Scotland get a grip and stop this boring Gripe about England . The press said he was British because he is and plays for GBR.

Loafer
02-Jul-06, 20:14
Have to agree. In football we have separate "nations", but young Mr Murray plays for Great Britain. And if you want to brush the chips of your shoulders, Tim Henman has ALWAYS been British.

The Loafer

mike.mckenzie
02-Jul-06, 20:48
I don't get all these goody goody national well wishers, I just don't get it. Scots have never backed England, its regional rivalry as far as football goes. A Liverpool fan wouldn't back Manchester any time, parochial rivalry is the fiercest you get. Just because you don't want the team to win doesn't mean you don't respect the country itself and the people. Why would you all of a sudden decide to support your biggest rivals just because you're not there? The English football fan and national media alwats mock Scotland for their glorious failures and ignominious defeats, so whats the difference for us doing the same back?

Andrew Murra summed up a few things about the Scots / English divide, he exposed the way the average English fan thinks of their neighbours with the Dunblane related bile they posted on his website.

The lad is 19 and said he wouldn't support England and he was wished death in a massacre. Says it all.

Nello
02-Jul-06, 20:59
Well He may be a scotsman but he plays tennis for GreatBritain hence he would be British. Who comes from Scotland get a grip and stop this boring Gripe about England . The press said he was British because he is and plays for GBR.

Wimbledon is a competition for Individuals not countries !! .. And please re read my first post again .. I was just pointing out how Andy is suddenly British now Henman is out of Wimbledon and England are out of the World Cup .. it isnt a gripe about England its a gripe about the English MEDIA .. a media that a week or so ago were describing him as Scottish.

Must really try to go and see this Great Britian Tennis Team .. where and when do they play next ?? .. :roll:

Going to stop now as my head is getting sore from hitting it off this brick wall .. :lol:

willowbankbear
02-Jul-06, 21:22
I think the difference between tim and andy is that andy is a natural, henman is a practiced proffesional as was kevin keegan in football.

Keegan was a great player in my eyes, I saw play for the Toon in the early 80`s, He was & still is an absolute God on Tyneside, then there was Dalglish=class.

Dali
02-Jul-06, 21:26
Wimbledon is a competition for Individuals not countries !! .. And please re read my first post again .. I was just pointing out how Andy is suddenly British now Henman is out of Wimbledon and England are out of the World Cup .. it isnt a gripe about England its a gripe about the English MEDIA .. a media that a week or so ago were describing him as Scottish.

Must really try to go and see this Great Britian Tennis Team .. where and when do they play next ?? ..

Going to stop now as my head is getting sore from hitting it off this brick wall .. :lol:

Think you should hit it harder and read posts more carefully.
Did not mention once he was part of a team . But like it or not he plays for Great Britain it even says it next to his name on the wimbledon site and in the matches .
So please take some time to think before you type or atleast research before you answer. :roll:

DW
02-Jul-06, 22:23
Must really try to go and see this Great Britian Tennis Team .. where and when do they play next ?? .. :roll:

That'll be in the Davis cup - try looking here to complete the gaps in your knowledge................

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davis_Cup

pultneytooner
02-Jul-06, 22:30
Keegan was a great player in my eyes, I saw play for the Toon in the early 80`s, He was & still is an absolute God on Tyneside, then there was Dalglish=class. No offence willowbankbear but keegan was not a natural, he worked hard at his game to make it as a professional,extra training, etc, his words not mine.

Nello
03-Jul-06, 00:57
Think you should hit it harder and read posts more carefully.
Did not mention once he was part of a team . But like it or not he plays for Great Britain it even says it next to his name on the wimbledon site and in the matches .
So please take some time to think before you type or atleast research before you answer. :roll:

Dali,

As for reading posts my original point was that the English Media had started referring to Andy as British so I did some research and check out this BBC report from 29th June in which Andy is referred to as Scottish ..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/5128028.stm

And heres another BBC one from July 2nd which now refers to him as British ..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/5136452.stm

Which was my original point, not what nationality Andy is as he himself says he is Scottish and thats good enough for me. Now to tell me I should "read posts more carefully" is a bit hypocritical considering you read mine and ignored my point completely, all you have said was that he was British because it "says so on the Wimbledon site and when he plays", doesnt his opinion matter then ?? .. I have a British passport and consider myself Scottish first and I am going to hazard a guess that a lot of English people have British passports but consider themselves English first .. and I bet some Welsh have British Passports but consider themselves Welsh first.

I believe I have just backed up the point I made.

abalone
03-Jul-06, 01:05

The British team will be playing in the Davis Cup.The only time they don't play for themselves.

DrSzin
03-Jul-06, 01:41
The British team will be playing in the Davis Cup.The only time they don't play for themselves.Not quite (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/tennis/5110752.stm).

Ricco
03-Jul-06, 07:21

Yeh, but Henman kept having tizzies with his coaches, didn't he?

Billy Boy
03-Jul-06, 07:25
[comment on the hypocrisy of the English Media who seem to define nationality like this :

Once again not a comment about English people .. just the English Media.[/quote]

how very true[disgust]

squidge
03-Jul-06, 10:07
Andrew Murra summed up a few things about the Scots / English divide, he exposed the way the average English fan thinks of their neighbours with the Dunblane related bile they posted on his website.

The lad is 19 and said he wouldn't support England and he was wished death in a massacre. Says it all.

Nope youa re wrong Mike - the "average" england fan is like me - Mrs "average and ordinary" Wouldnt do anyone any harm - enjoyes the scotland -england Banter and wishes good luck to anyone who is doing the best they can. What WAS exposed was the lengths a FEW NASTY SICK AND UNPLEASANT individuals can do and how they hide behind being legitimate fans when all they are are nasty unpleasant little people who get their kicks out of ananymouse drivel. Just delete it - its appalling