PDA

View Full Version : India Unveils a Touch Screen which costs only £23

Kodiak
24-Jul-10, 13:37
The Indian government has unveiled the prototype of an iPad-like touch-screen laptop, with a price tag of $35 (£23), which it hopes to roll out next year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-10740817

Only £23 for a touch screen Laptop like an iPad. Even if it is only half as good it cant be bad for only £23. It would be so cheap that no one would even try to pinch it. I hope that it comes about.

pegasus
24-Jul-10, 13:54
Pretty amazing I bet it will sell like hot potatoes. Err I meant to say hotcakes!

scorrie
24-Jul-10, 16:52
The Indian government has unveiled the prototype of an iPad-like touch-screen laptop, with a price tag of $35 (£23), which it hopes to roll out next year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-10740817

Only £23 for a touch screen Laptop like an iPad. Even if it is only half as good it cant be bad for only £23. It would be so cheap that no one would even try to pinch it. I hope that it comes about.

The same team had plans for a cheap laptop and that came to nothing. I saw the following on another website:-

"Mr Sibal turned to students and professors at India's elite technical universities to develop the £23 tablet after receiving a "lukewarm" response from private sector players. He hopes to get the cost down to £6.50 eventually."

I somehow doubt that this can be shipped to Europe and be running Linux for £6.50 all in. I suspect it will be a piece of crap and I can't see Apple having too many sleepless nights

ducati
24-Jul-10, 17:38
I don't see why not. The tablet is basically made up of 4 or 5 solid state components, the screen is a single chip. I would imagine the price limiting factor is the cost of the shaped battery.

Essentially the same thing happened to produce 99p digital watches. Once you take the premium brand name off, the value is what it is.

To give you an idea of a price crash in technology, The silicon wafer that is the blank for the micro processor, used to sell to computer manufacturers for about £100. Several years ago when I last dealt with people like Motorola the price was down to about 90p. :eek:

badger
24-Jul-10, 21:50
Wonder how much child slave labour will be needed to make those :(

scorrie
24-Jul-10, 22:58
I don't see why not. The tablet is basically made up of 4 or 5 solid state components, the screen is a single chip. I would imagine the price limiting factor is the cost of the shaped battery.

Essentially the same thing happened to produce 99p digital watches. Once you take the premium brand name off, the value is what it is.

To give you an idea of a price crash in technology, The silicon wafer that is the blank for the micro processor, used to sell to computer manufacturers for about £100. Several years ago when I last dealt with people like Motorola the price was down to about 90p. :eek:

Want a wee side bet on the £6.50? ;)

ducati
24-Jul-10, 23:04
Want a wee side bet on the £6.50? ;)

Oh not £6.50. Retailers markup, salesmans commission, advertising etc.etc. :lol:

Phill
24-Jul-10, 23:22
I maybe a tad cynical but what's to say that Suicide Tech Co' of China isn't knocking out these big phones fer £20.00 and Mr Jobs is cashing in under the Apple brand?