PDA

View Full Version : home made fly spray for horses?

bullielove
24-Jul-10, 09:14
Does anyone make their own?

Ive seen a few recipes on the net however I was wondering if anyone had personal experience of making this? Has anyone got an effective recipe - I would love to know as it's expensive to keep buying this and the flys are murder just now?

aurora32
24-Jul-10, 10:47
I use to use citronella, can get from the chemist, cold tea and crushed garlic, made a strong solution of tea into an old 2ltr lemonade bottle added almost all the citronella and about 12 cloves of crushed garlic or if more needed add and shake it up well and apply with a sponge, worked like a charm even on my Arab stallion who was always sweaty trying to see what the mares were doing in the other field, last a fair while too. :)

daisychain
24-Jul-10, 14:00
Try a 1/2 and 1/2 mixture of dettol and water supposed to work a treat!

bullielove
26-Jul-10, 20:03
thanks aurora and daily chain for the ideas.. i have some citronella left over from my holidays as i find it deters the mozzies so i will give that one a bash first.. the dettol too sounds simple to make - hopefully it will work the the poor horsey attracts flies like nothing else.. poor girl

aurora32
26-Jul-10, 21:04
Will need to get some made up myself, just got a pony for daughter and the other day poor thing was covered in flies especially those horrible clegs

cazmanian_minx
26-Jul-10, 21:21
Have you tried garlic powder in her feed? They sweat it out through the pores and it repels the flies.

porshiepoo
27-Jul-10, 07:56
I used to use anything with Citronella in for the horses plus feed Garlic as it comes out through the pores as Cazmanian_minx says.

For humans though I use Superdrugs own sunscreen. Don't know why it works but it does. It smells alot like Nivea so maybe that's something to do with it but it definitely keeps the flies and midges away.
In fact the other day I was gardening and didn't bother to put any on and a huge ruddy horse fly bit the inside of my elbow. 2 days later and I still had a rock hard swelling the size of a tennis ball [evil]
Don't go out without Superdrugs sunscreen now.

unicorn
27-Jul-10, 08:11
I use this product with the rabbits, it is very concentrated so a small bottle goes a long way.
http://www.ascott.biz/acatalog/Dynamite-Herbal-Insect-Repellent-250-ml-MD78.html