PDA

View Full Version : Ian Tomlinson - justice ?!

Nacho
23-Jul-10, 00:17
disgusted at today's result that the copper who killed him won't face charges.

if you watch the video you can clearly see an unprovoked attack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HECMVdl-9SQ

i would expect this in the 80's, but not a modern proletariat like Britain

we can all assume he was a hippie/druggie/in the wrong place at the wrong time.

but we'd be wrong, he was a peaceful demonstrator.

i hope the family appeal and this case doesn't slip out of the public eye

'And if you tolerate this then your children will be next'

pegasus
23-Jul-10, 00:48

i was disgusted to and on the same news buletin some man who stole a few thousand gotr 5 years

says alot i think

Nacho
23-Jul-10, 01:00
closed ranks, it's obvious the copper was in the wrong and picked on a lone protester with undue force.

the justice system in this country blah blah blah whats the point in protesting...

i'm all for police using heavy handed approaches with violent peeps, bring it on, meet the threat with a superior threat and put them in their place.

but not someone who poses no threat and could easily have been told to 'move on'

pegasus
23-Jul-10, 01:27
to my mind its one law fo rth epolice state and one law for everyoine else

Aaldtimer
23-Jul-10, 02:52
Nacho..."but we'd be wrong, he was a peaceful demonstrator"...he wasn't!

He was an ordinary guy just trying to make his way home from work!:eek:

The Drunken Duck
23-Jul-10, 08:49

The guy was pushed and I personally think that the Officer should be proescuted for that. The guy got up and walked away after the copper pushed him but later collapsed. The CPS said in their statement that came to the conclusion that "there was not a reasonable chance of a conviction" no doubt because the guy was fine when he walked away. Sounds to me like they wanted to prosecute him but the evidence just wasnt there. A decent defence lawyer would pull apart any argument that he died as a result of that push when he was filmed walking away. And who is to say he would not have collapsed and died that day anyway if he had avoided the Police ??

But who can blame the Police for being wound up that day. Lots of people were getting right in the faces of the Coppers, most of them unwashed doley's out for a protest and complaining about the same capitalist system that provides them with their fortnightly handout. Personally I cant see one of them without fantasising about putting a pool ball in a sock and hitting them with it. So I can understand the coppers being a bit hyper that day. They are not robots, they are human like the rest of us.

Just a pity that every incident like this is dissected and assumptions made about them. They also do a lot of good which is never highlighted the same, lets face it Nacho you can come out with bad cliche's from Manic Street Preacher tunes all you like but the fact is if you needed them you would be right on the phone and damn glad to see them !!

Bazeye
23-Jul-10, 11:39
Keir Starmer, the Director of Public Prosecutions, admitted the riot officer, Pc Simon Harwood, had assaulted the newspaper vendor, but a six-month time limit for bringing assault charges had lapsed.

He added that an “irreconcilable conflict” between differing medical opinions on what caused the 47 year-old’s death meant that there was “no realistic prospect” of a conviction for the more serious charge of manslaughter.

Mr Tomlinson’s death was investigated by the Independent Police Complaints Commission, which handed its findings to the CPS last August, well within the time limit for assault charges to be brought.
Its report backed a manslaughter charge and a source said that was what they expected to be brought. Mr Starmer said that as manslaughter was being considered, no assault charges could be brought at that time.
Mr Tomlinson’s family called the decision disgraceful and accused the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) of being
part of “a big cover-up”. Pc Harwood, 43, has faced two previous disciplinary procedures for alleged aggressive behaviour. He remains suspended from the Met and could now face disciplinary charges.

Nacho
23-Jul-10, 11:51
but the fact is if you needed them you would be right on the phone and damn glad to see them !!

of course i would, but i would expect a calm and measured response from trained officers, not some hyperactive, violent nutter with an aversion to cliches :roll:

The Drunken Duck
23-Jul-10, 12:40
of course i would, but i would expect a calm and measured response from trained officers, not some hyperactive, violent nutter with an aversion to cliches :roll:

Well your obviously the "Ex-Spurt" on the subject arent you.

scorrie
23-Jul-10, 14:41
The Police Officer involved had previous aggression issues.

From the Telegraph website:-

"PC Harwood left the Metropolitan Police a decade ago amid controversy over an alleged off-duty road rage incident, then got a job with Surrey Police, where he was accused of using excessive force."

I think I read at the time that Mr Tomlinson was drunk and had been obstructing the Police for some time before the attack took place. The officer SHOULD have shown greater restraint but it is a difficult situation when you have been facing abuse from the public and emotions are bound to get out of control to some extent, even in the best trained officers. Policing is a difficult job, certainly not one I would like to do. You need officers capable of acting with controlled physical strength should the situation arise and I believe there is a fine line between controlling that necessary aggression to get the job done in certain circumstances. The way I read the news today, the problem is over differing medical opinions and how that relates to bringing any charges.

squidge
23-Jul-10, 16:12
Didnt I read somewhere that this officer had worked a 30 -odd hour shift with only a couple of hours break? Thats just asking for trouble

Metalattakk
23-Jul-10, 16:42

If you watch the video you can also clearly see him not dead in the slightest.

The attack looked to be unprovoked, certainly (although I'm unconvinced even of that) but the attack didn't kill him. His dodgy ticker did.

The geezer trying to lift him to his feet could just as easily have provoked a heart attack.

Corrie 3
23-Jul-10, 17:01
Honestly, if you were in that situation and asked to move on by the Police would you just slouch forward at a snails pace with your hands in your pockets? I know I woudnt, I would be off like a shot....
If you go looking for trouble you are likely to find it!!!

[disgust][lol][disgust]

Pouleriscaig
23-Jul-10, 18:19
I think a reading of the reported facts to the incident, as there was not just one, is helpful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Ian_Tomlinson#Operation_Glencoe

It appears to be from what I can see, a deliberate assault by the Policeman involved.
There may be mitigating circumstances, but it is wrong for the Police to treat anyone in this manner.

John Little
23-Jul-10, 23:07
The video is clear. The man had done nothing wrong and was walking away from the police. He was attacked from behind and it was unprovoked.

If it happened to any person on this Org you would want there to be consequences.

The fact that so far there are none does the police no favours at all because it indicates that they are above the law - and in a working democracy that is no good.

This constable let the rest of his colleagues down big time because he brings the police into disrepute. He should be charged with assault and let a court decide whether or not he is guilty.