PDA

View Full Version : Penalties

Saveman
30-Jun-06, 18:20
This seems a cruel way to decide games.
The weight of a country's expectancy on one man's shoulders......wouldn't surprise me if they needed professional councilling afterwards. Post-traumatic stress disorder is not something to be taken lightly.

Although it does make great TV! :p

What do you think?

obiron
30-Jun-06, 18:26
well after watching what felt like paint dry the ukraine v switzerland game thank god for the penalties. was the only excitment in that game.

normally it does seem a terrible way to win but it is exciting to watch.

willowbankbear
30-Jun-06, 18:36
Its a shame Argentina going out, not the Swiss (Rubbish) but penalties have been here for so long why change them?

Who`s gona win it now then? Italy are my team in the sweep , so hopefully theyll do the business against the Ukraine in a wee while

highlander2222
30-Jun-06, 18:49
England i hope not

obiron
30-Jun-06, 19:24
England i hope not

they're my team in the sweep. cant see them winning it though.

scorrie
30-Jun-06, 19:41
It is all shaping eerily towards a repeat of the 1966 Final. I can picture the scene already, with Wayne Rooney scoring the winner in injury time for an England 1-0 win.

John Motson then gets carried away for the first time in his career and starts running off a Norway win over England style rant.

"Adolph Hitler, Otto Von Bismarck, Baron Von Richthofen, J S Bach, Albert Einstein, Mercedes Benz, Haagen Daz, Kraftwerk, Lederhosen, Lidl.
Angela Merkel, can you hear me? Your boys took a hell of a beating!!"

George Brims
30-Jun-06, 20:51
Thank you Scorrie. I have been terribly annoyed/upset by the awful commentating on US TV. You have now reminded me of the up side of being over here - no John Motson!

Rheghead
30-Jun-06, 23:24
"Adolph Hitler, Otto Von Bismarck, Baron Von Richthofen, J S Bach, Albert Einstein, Mercedes Benz, Haagen Daz, Kraftwerk, Lederhosen, Lidl.

"Henry the Navigator, Eusabio, Sandeman, (Now I'm stuck:Razz:roll: ) et al. Your boys took one hell of a beating!!"

celtic 302
30-Jun-06, 23:34
penaties are entertainin, and if not them, then wat? by time for penalties, over 120 minutes of football has been played, so wat else can be used in stead, nothing.

PORTUGAL ALL THE WAY (got them in a sweep thing, before u get on about anti-english and all that) (ps, go andy murray, show them english)

Rheghead
30-Jun-06, 23:44
no John Motson!

Surely "Go John Motson!"?

:roll:

Nello
01-Jul-06, 01:04
Do What I do and turn the sound down and put on five live .. Hey Presto .. No .. John .. Motson !!

I would prefer if they played the Golden Goal in extra time and then go to penalties if it is still all square.

Bulldog
01-Jul-06, 09:23
It is all shaping eerily towards a repeat of the 1966 Final. I can picture the scene already, with Wayne Rooney scoring the winner in injury time for an England 1-0 win.

John Motson then gets carried away for the first time in his career and starts running off a Norway win over England style rant.

This thread I thought was titled 'Penalties'!!!!

Ouch! It really hurts you Scots that The England are still in it! I still stand by an earlier reply I made - It's you lot who bring up 1966 time and time again!

Hilarious! Every week you've said we won't still be in it - Guess who's still in it?

Get over it, at least you can all be rest assured when England lift the World Cup - You won't hear about '66 as much - that is, if you can stop moaning about it!!!! Ha ha ha!

Bring it on!

Rheghead
01-Jul-06, 10:05
What a knob end you are at times Rheg(pap)head, you talk absolute drivel in threads like this looking for a reaction,well youre gettin 1 this time, as Im fed up of your pro Anglo nonsense.

Come on Figo & friends Do them-Big time

Someone has had a sense of humour lobotomy.:roll:

Saveman
01-Jul-06, 10:10
"Henry the Navigator, Eusabio, Sandeman, (Now I'm stuck:Razz:roll: ) et al. Your boys took one hell of a beating!!"

Was this a reference to a cricket commentary on radio 4? I think I heard it ages ago when England duffed the Aussies

squeezy
01-Jul-06, 11:12
Saveman,

Scorrie alluded to the origins of this quote - a Norwegian commentator got a little carried away when they beat England in the early eighties in a world cup qualifier. It was then parodied by cricket commentators when England won the Ashes last year.

Saveman
01-Jul-06, 12:49
Saveman,

Scorrie alluded to the origins of this quote - a Norwegian commentator got a little carried away when they beat England in the early eighties in a world cup qualifier. It was then parodied by cricket commentators when England won the Ashes last year.

ahhh...thanks for the info.....cheeers :)

souperman
01-Jul-06, 20:00
I`m sure that years ago the former Yugoslavia league games could never end in a draw, if the score was even at the end of a league game it went to a penalty shootout, this got the players used to a bit of pressure that can not be replicated on the training pitch. As for Engerlund I`m afraid much of the blame lies with the coach, he has a team of very talented players obviously not comfortable in their jobs, they are more than cabable of more but seemed to be not motivated for every match, the players must share this responsibility but a good motivational coach can instill much more in a team, not Sven`s strongest point I think.

pultneytooner
01-Jul-06, 20:10

Ouch! It really hurts you Scots that The England are still in it! I still stand by an earlier reply I made - It's you lot who bring up 1966 time and time again!

Hilarious! Every week you've said we won't still be in it - Guess who's still in it?

Get over it, at least you can all be rest assured when England lift the World Cup - You won't hear about '66 as much - that is, if you can stop moaning about it!!!! Ha ha ha!

Bring it on!
Yur no innit now, ahahahahahahah[lol]

pedromcgrory
01-Jul-06, 20:11

Bring it on!
lol lol lol lol lol

willowbankbear
01-Jul-06, 20:16
Adios England, although I thought England were the better team today , it was a rotten game really. Watch stv folks, 2 proper teams on just now

changilass
01-Jul-06, 20:18
Gotta agree there, much better game all together, that's me out of the sweep:lol: Yippee

pultneytooner
01-Jul-06, 20:32
http://www.mrcophth.com/eyecasualty/maincontent/Crying1.jpgdry your eyes mate, it's only two years till the european championships

unicorn
01-Jul-06, 20:36
and the giant wooden spoon for stirrer of the year award goes to pultneytooner :)

pultneytooner
01-Jul-06, 20:38
and the giant wooden spoon for stirrer of the year award goes to pultneytooner :)
Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou at least it's a trophy, lol.;)

unicorn
01-Jul-06, 20:41
Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou at least it's a trophy, lol.;)
ouch!!!!!!! what a talent!!!!!!!!!! ;)

pedromcgrory
01-Jul-06, 20:44
What a knob end you are at times Rheg(pap)head, you talk absolute drivel in threads like this looking for a reaction,well youre gettin 1 this time, as Im fed up of your pro Anglo nonsense.

Come on Figo & friends Do them-Big time
lol u tell him

scorrie
01-Jul-06, 23:31

Bring it on!

We'll probably all be long deid by the time the professional excuseniks win the trophy again.