PDA

View Full Version : Eyesores

WICKER10
22-Jul-10, 17:27
What are the Biggest Building Eyesores in Wick.? And should the Council be taking action about them.?
I for one would say the Old Night Club in High Street and yes the council should be on the Backs of the owners.

Tubthumper
22-Jul-10, 17:43
I'll match that and raise you Dunnets Collapsed Showroom!:)

cherokee
22-Jul-10, 17:57
I'll match you both twice - for a full hand.....

Newsagents Corner Shop
Old Boots Shop
The old clothes shop on Bridge St. - canna mind the name.... Turners?

and just for good luck I'll throw in........Woolies and the Acutal Bridge itself (been bashed about quite a bit o'er the years!!)

Anyone else got a "full hand" ??;)

cherokee
22-Jul-10, 18:01
Sorry Tubs, but I think (IMHO) WICKER10 has the leading hand in this case......... (EX!!!) Domino's night club is the biggest eye-sore IMO !!

ducati
22-Jul-10, 19:43
What about the castle at Old Wick? Bloody things falling down :eek:

Corrie 3
22-Jul-10, 19:49
What about...................WICK !!!

:cool::roll:

ele21
22-Jul-10, 19:57
Your dead right the best thing about wick is e road back to thurso[lol]

madmissus
22-Jul-10, 20:05
or the road south that will be the A99?

shamrock2007
22-Jul-10, 20:09
The worst at the moment has got to be Dunnets showroom, great start for visitors arriving into the town

Kevin Milkins
22-Jul-10, 20:26

I couldn't agree more, why don't they just knock it down and build a new one.;)

bonami
22-Jul-10, 20:50
Surely must be old Dominoes night club , old shop next Camps bar, old coop shop Macarthur St, and boarded up houses and half built houses in Grant St which seem to have been like that for 20yrs. All these buildings I believe are connected to the same owners. Of course the council should do something about it. If most property owners let thier property get in the state these buildings are in they would be forced to do something about it. Also not forgetting Dunnets Show room , a disgrace to the town.

balto
22-Jul-10, 23:01
wow what a great advertisment for wick, makes me so glad i dont live there anymore.

Tubthumper
22-Jul-10, 23:02
Ah, but the owners of the old Dominoes are about to build a super bowling and entertainment complex - Site Start Autumn 2008 it says on the sign.

Oh wait a minute... :eek:

Nacho
22-Jul-10, 23:18
one of the eysores in Wick for me is the state of bridge street/francis street after the high school has had their lunch.
white paper bags blowing everywhere, even the kids standing next to a bin will drop there rubbish on the ground. i blame the muppet parents

when i see it happen, i make a point of doing a starsky and hutch style pull in/window down/get their attention and give it '"We're the Sweeney, son, and we've haven't had any dinner yet, so unless you want a kickin'..." works every time

slightly off thread ...

heading to John O' Groats from Castletown as you pass Canisbay church, there's a bit of land (someone's extended garden) by the turn off that's littered with scrapped cars and vans, some on their roofs, making it look like some kind of mega pile up.

it's an absolute bliddy eyesore, tourists must think ... 'mmm, there's some dingle who's too tight to scrap his vehicles and would rather leave them on view for himself and others ... how quaint'

if the guy had his head screwed on he'd stick a sign on it, call it art and charge visitors a coupla quid to see it up close (and 20p to use his toilet)

Aussiewicker
23-Jul-10, 08:17
No one's mentioned the old house, attached to what was the Norseman, opposite the blight that was Dominoes.... just as frickin horrendous!

tiger woods
23-Jul-10, 08:59
What about Wick High School itself?

miss happy
23-Jul-10, 09:09
Pick on Wick time again is it. It is strange how you all put the place down yet you all come here for the retail park ect so it cant be that bad and it is not just Wick that have eye sore's it is also Thurso infact anywhere you go there will be something someone does not like. For those who are glad they dont live in Wick well Wick is not missing much if you have that attitude it's not missing out not having you live in it like my father used to say the best thing about Thurso is the road out because there is nothing in the place that's why everyone comes to WICK to shop so dont think of the bad things think of the good just dont understand how it's always Wick you have a gripe with.

Tubthumper
23-Jul-10, 09:15
Well, if it makes you miss happy, what's the biggest eyesore in Thurso?

I'll go for the remains of the 'Heartbreak Hotel' opposite the Pentland

miss happy
23-Jul-10, 09:22
I am not going to play your little game's I was just saying what I thought. I dont see you starting on anyone one else for their points of view but if it make's you feel happy then go ahead but if you read my post right I also said there are eye sore's everywhere just people dont feel they have to come on a forum and go and on and on.

Tubthumper
23-Jul-10, 09:30
Try and see the wee pun miss happy. And by the way I was doing exactly what you suggested, pointing out that there are eyesores in every place.
Try and be a bit less snippy, will you?

The Flea
23-Jul-10, 09:31
I would have to go for Dominoes as well, but to be honest I'm sure there is going to be a few more empty premises in the town centre soon.

Tubthumper
23-Jul-10, 09:32
What about Thurso Castle? It's not even that old and its a ruin!

miss happy
23-Jul-10, 09:50
Where was the pun exactly. I will be less snippy and more happy.
Cheery

Tubthumper
23-Jul-10, 10:09
'If it makes you miss happy...'

Wasn't very good really, never mind! Just keep smiling!:lol:

upolian
23-Jul-10, 10:09
Take a good look at the main street of wick,there's nothing pretty about it!!!

Aussiewicker
23-Jul-10, 10:28
......I will be less snippy and more happy.
Cheery

Good to hear: We need more cheery and happy peeps here: too many whingers
for a little .org. :D

katarina
23-Jul-10, 18:26
weren't the HRC be going to DO something about these eyesores? They walked around the town, as i remember. wasn't that couple of years ago?Yet another promise they had no intention of keeping. the ownership of Dominos aparently is in dispute. Why not therefore clap a compulsary sales order on it? If i won the lottery I would buy it and turn it back into a cinema. Many happy memories. I think it's time the council got their fingers out.

ducati
24-Jul-10, 09:09
'If it makes you miss happy...'

Wasn't very good really, never mind! Just keep smiling!:lol:

Now look what you've done. Made Miss Happy cross :mad::eek:

miss happy
24-Jul-10, 18:20
I am anything but cross cant you read my name it's Miss Happy.
Cheery:D:lol:

neepnipper
24-Jul-10, 18:28
I read in the paper yesterday under the planning applications that Dunnets are applying for their showroom to be replaced...at last!

bagpuss
25-Jul-10, 00:03
Wasn't the problem about Dominoes that there was asbestos in the building? And given that it isn't owned by one person outright any decision about its future has to be by agreement?

Caithness does have a bad habit of letting things fall down- and not rebuilding them- but moving to other premises instead.

Some of those eyesores on Bridge Street ie boarded up windows are down to businesses closing- and no-one taking on the lease. Given some of the comments on here disparaging small businesses-can you blame people for not wanting to take a risk?

katarina
25-Jul-10, 13:00
Wasn't the problem about Dominoes that there was asbestos in the building? And given that it isn't owned by one person outright any decision about its future has to be by agreement?

Caithness does have a bad habit of letting things fall down- and not rebuilding them- but moving to other premises instead.

Some of those eyesores on Bridge Street ie boarded up windows are down to businesses closing- and no-one taking on the lease. Given some of the comments on here disparaging small businesses-can you blame people for not wanting to take a risk?

I thought the problem was that the place burnt down! given that it is owned by several people, none of whom want to make themselves known, surely after all this time the council could step in? Maybe given the current finacial climate no developer would want to purchase it, but it could have been done years ago. Apart from anything else, kids play there and it is an absolute danger.

Tubthumper
25-Jul-10, 13:01
I thought the problem was that the place burnt down! given that it is owned by several people, none of whom want to make themselves known...
What is it with the secrets in this County...?:eek:

bagpuss
25-Jul-10, 15:21
in one town in the West Country, there is a development fund used to purchase eyesores and convert them into something useful- ie if a landlord has allowed something to fall into disrepair, after a period of 10 years, there is a compulsory purchase at the value of the land the buuilding stands on; demolition is carried out and the site advertised for brownfield development. eg an old factory was demolished and the site sold for new affordable housing.

Could that not work in Caithness?