PDA

View Full Version : Northern Treats

Fluff
21-Jul-10, 22:25
I just read the 'Southern Treats' post and it made me think of us orgers who no longer live in Caithness, but still like to visit.

What is your favourite treat when visiting why?

For me, it has to be red pudding! The fact I cannot get it down here means it is a real treat (and I eat as much of it as I can when I'm home lol) but next has to be Caithness beef, yum yum!

bagpuss
21-Jul-10, 22:30
For me it has to be Morag's home baking- her Victoria sponge is wonderful- that and a trip to Made in Caithness for Vanessa's lovely jewellery; to BB&C for handmade earrings, and fish suppers in Helmsdale

celtic88chick
21-Jul-10, 23:19
When i lived in Aberdeen i used to miss Johnstone's pies, so when i came home, i would go back down with about half a dozen of them, my friends always managed to eat them on the train down though :lol:.

bagpuss
21-Jul-10, 23:30
Houston's mince and onion pies; their fruit slices; the Cliff's brown bread...

Dadie
21-Jul-10, 23:40
Icecream at brora!
It was always my fave!

Bazeye
22-Jul-10, 00:13
Red pudding and Johnstones pies for my OH. She'll be able to indulge herself tomorrow as she' back "home" for a fortnight.

EDDIE
22-Jul-10, 10:45
I like a pattie supper out of robins chip shop because you dont get patties anywere else and i like the pastries with the yello bit in the middle out of johnstons bakery and also the the cream roll with the coconut in the middle

Amy-Winehouse
22-Jul-10, 12:38
Haddies caught just off Wick, I ken it doesna happen very much nowadays but they do taste that wee bit better fresher & richer than those imported from the south.

Red Puddings is another good call

Fluff
22-Jul-10, 18:24
Ooh I had forgotten about Johnsons pies!

Gawd, I am going to get so fat when I come up lol

George Brims
23-Jul-10, 17:54
Red puddings. When I was at Uni in Edinburgh my mum used to post them to me! As long as the packet didn't get held up, they seemed to arrive fresh. On a side note, where do you get the best red puddings nowadays?

Another thing Caithness folk miss is the purple tatties called Beauties. I tried growing them down south (Midlothian) and they didn't grow well.

wifie
23-Jul-10, 18:00
Johnston's pies and custard whips (the coconut thing Eddie described) and pattie suppers! I can get red puddings here but not fussy about them!

John Little
24-Jul-10, 06:33
I used to love Orkney Cheese.

Can't get it down here...........:~(

ducati
24-Jul-10, 09:10
I used to love Orkney Cheese.

Can't get it down here...........:~(

They sell it in Tesco :eek:

John Little
24-Jul-10, 10:12
Well Tesco do sell local produce.

Bet you can't get Benenden Sauce up there - but my local Tesco has it.....