PDA

View Full Version : Charity Shop Bargains

bagpuss
21-Jul-10, 20:24
Charity Shop Bargains

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

of the local charity shops, which do you think gives good value for money and why?

On a trip north with husband, we returned home with an antique desk (which he later sold on at a profit) and a set of edinburgh Crystal (which he gave as a wedding present)

Both were purchased for under £100 (combined total)

So which outlet gives best value for money and what has been your best buy?

tiger woods
21-Jul-10, 20:32
Charity Shop Bargains

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

of the local charity shops, which do you think gives good value for money and why?

On a trip north with husband, we returned home with an antique desk (which he later sold on at a profit) and a set of edinburgh Crystal (which he gave as a wedding present)

Both were purchased for under £100 (combined total)

So which outlet gives best value for money and what has been your best buy?

Kenn
21-Jul-10, 20:59
A black fruit dish that turned out to be silver, purchased for 50p, several items of designer knitware , never paid more that £2.50, eight large black sacks of pure wool, silk and cotton yarns, £25.00 the lot.
Locally just the right colour and style lamp shade that I had been searching for, 50p.

Home Aid Thurso for the lampshade, designer knitwear "Second Chance," Golspie..not sure if it still goes under the same name but is directly across from the car park.

bagpuss
21-Jul-10, 21:03
and which charity shop? Our desk came from Home Aid, and the crystal from the Cancer Research shop in Wick.

Are any of the charity shops outpricing themselves? I spotted prices in one shop that were more in line with Dornoch antiques shops.

unicorn
21-Jul-10, 21:25
I got an air conditioner from home aid for a tenner, bargain :D

Dadie
21-Jul-10, 21:52
A coatstand that is childsized with a parrot on the top from homeaid for £2.
Great for the kids dressing up stuff.
A small pink beanbag chair for £5
Various emergency changes of clothes(you know what I mean..explosive nappy...to a near naked soaking wet child after a visit to the beach) for the kids from 25p in the red cross shop to about £5 for a whole outfit in the cancer research shop.

bagpuss
25-Jul-10, 00:18
I was at a wedding today- the bride had the most gorgeous wedding dress with a 1920's theme- and the bridesmaids were in lovely vintage dresses too- at the speeches it turned out that the weddiing was conducted on a shoestring- and all the outfits- including mother of the bride had come from a branch of Oxfam that is dedicated to 'dress up' ocassions in Oxford.

Has any orger worn a charity shop bargain to a special event?

cazmanian_minx
25-Jul-10, 08:37
Yup - pure silk Karen Millen halterneck dress to a wedding, £10.50 from a British Heart Foundation shop in Croydon. Also have a lovely Austin Reed shift dress, £4.50 from the same place.

Kevin Milkins
25-Jul-10, 09:36
My best ever charity shop bargain was bought in Cheltenham, many years ago.

I bought a Christian Dior gents suit for four pounds, it was my favourite suit for years,( until i grew out of it:(), and I passed it onto my son, who still has it now. :Razz