PDA

View Full Version : Rubbish Satellite Signal

ducati
21-Jul-10, 12:55
I've had a problem for a while and wondered if anyone has any suggestions.

Reception is constantly interrupted and signal breaks up. It is at its worst in this weather: Breezy and drizzly rain.

The dish is pointing at a small tree but I can't believe the signal is so feeble it can't cope with this, or am I wrong? The dish is only about 6 ft above ground level as the satellite gagee who fitted it wasn't allowed to climb a ladder or some such H & S cack.

I can't even get the freeview channals through the arial as it lost these presumably because of the switchover and the tele has no facility to retune.

Any suggestions before I give up on television completely. :mad:

annthracks
21-Jul-10, 13:00
It's not the size of the tree but whether it's blocking the signal, I frequently (yearly) have to lop a lump out of my parents tree because it blocks their signal.

Phill
21-Jul-10, 13:03
You really do need line of sight, anything in the way will impair the signal (including rain, snow and passing UFO's etc.)

Always worth a check it is still aligned correctly, the tiniest misalignment will throw the reception out. I've got a little sat finder that plugs in to help align things up, you can get 'em from lidl.

I binned my sat dish as no matter what the wind always won. Strangely though I got a huge improvement in signal when I pointed the dish at my garage, that's how I know THEY are here, there hidin' in me garage......

ducati
21-Jul-10, 13:05
Cheers, so if I prune the tree it might be better.

Another one chalked up to its better Digital but it's not Analogue :eek:

ducati
21-Jul-10, 13:06
Phill, where is you garage? I'll try pointing it at that :cool:

annthracks
21-Jul-10, 13:09
and if you're closer to Thurso than Lybster, I've got one too :)

ducati
21-Jul-10, 13:11
Cheers Annthracks I am. I'll try lopping the tree then give you a shout :)

yorkshire lassie
21-Jul-10, 19:15
We moved to Kirtomy at the end of last year. There was a rusty old Sky dish at the property. Throughout winter we sometimes got broken signal but it has been much worse recently. We were still registered with Sky at the old house and last week I thought I'd ring them, tell them we'd moved and explain about the quality of signal. I started off by saying I was thinking of cancelling our contract due to the poor signal we were receiving in our new property and I saw no point in paying for something we could not use. I explained about the old dish and how the signal strength had been poor since we moved. They immediately said they would send someone out to look at the dish and replace it if necessary for free as I had been a customer for 8 years. They came today and did just that! Maybe threatening to cancel is the way to go!

Moonboots
22-Jul-10, 16:07
It just sounds to me that the dish needs re-aligned. If the dish is about 6ft from ground level and the tree is only small then i dont think the tree would be the problem. Mind you it depends on what you call a small tree lol...

The line of sight for the dish is not elevated horizontal. The beam comes down in an angle. Thats why the dish is there to reflect the signal to the LNB.

Sometimes if you contact Sky and threaten to cancel then yes they might send someone out for free.

I also do Freesat and Sky, Service charge is £39, This is for re-alignments/fault finding etc.. Additional costs for any required parts.

badger
22-Jul-10, 16:18
I don't have a dish, just Freeview, but it was fine until switchover. Now the pic. breaks up/freezes, sound cuts out, one of them it loses it completely and can be seconds before it comes back. Oh for the good old days [disgust]

ducati
22-Jul-10, 16:45
I don't have a dish, just Freeview, but it was fine until switchover. Now the pic. breaks up/freezes, sound cuts out, one of them it loses it completely and can be seconds before it comes back. Oh for the good old days [disgust]

Yep. More "progress" :roll:

Phill
22-Jul-10, 19:06
Yup, I gotta say bring back analogue!

Very rarely had a problem with analogue, did what it said on the tin.

Digikul, well..... pixelating everytime a rabbit farts three fields away, freezes at the hint of moisture in the air and frequent signal loss because......well because they can I think.

(new aerial, line of site etc. etc.)

Whoopie doo, I can receive* 45,786,892 channels including various rabbit ones (didn't think the wabbits would actually receive much signal at all in their burrows) and not one of them can I watch without it going to crap. All I want is the News at Ten, not HD, red buttons and endless channels of crap and interactive bilge brother or other such poo.

You know, I even think it was better with the old black and white telly's, the ones where you had to get up to change the channel (or train your dog/kids). Only 3 channels to worry and none of this 24 hour nonsense.

ducati
22-Jul-10, 19:28
Yup, I gotta say bring back analogue!

Very rarely had a problem with analogue, did what it said on the tin.

Digikul, well..... pixelating everytime a rabbit farts three fields away, freezes at the hint of moisture in the air and frequent signal loss because......well because they can I think.

(new aerial, line of site etc. etc.)

Whoopie doo, I can receive* 45,786,892 channels including various rabbit ones (didn't think the wabbits would actually receive much signal at all in their burrows) and not one of them can I watch without it going to crap. All I want is the News at Ten, not HD, red buttons and endless channels of crap and interactive bilge brother or other such poo.

You know, I even think it was better with the old black and white telly's, the ones where you had to get up to change the channel (or train your dog/kids). Only 3 channels to worry and none of this 24 hour nonsense.

Let's start a movement :eek::eek::eek:

badger
22-Jul-10, 20:02
Let's start a movement :eek::eek::eek:

Yes please - I'll join and maybe we can stop the digital radio nonsense before it goes too far. Man the barricades !

Phill
22-Jul-10, 21:04
Let's start a movement

Or a broadcasting organisation!