PDA

View Full Version : Wick Caravan Site

corky
30-Jun-06, 12:59
Am hoping to come up to Wick in August for a long weekend and was planning on camping. Can anyone tell me if this is still possible in Wick or do you have to go further afield - Watten or Dunbeath for example.

Heard a rumour the campsite might be re-opening but the tourist info phone number is a central one who can only answer questions if they can be found on his computer and I can do that myself. I was really hoping for local knowledge not a Glaswegian in Glasgow!!

Any news?

corky

laguna2
30-Jun-06, 13:04
According to the signs along the A9 the campsite in Wick has re-opened.

corky
30-Jun-06, 13:07
any contact details?

bert
30-Jun-06, 13:31
Whippy has taken over the campsite and it should be open this summer. He lives in Ackergil you could look him up in the phone book. William Miller? is it.

BBE

Liz
30-Jun-06, 18:29
The Wick Campsite is open and the contact no is Wick (01955) 605420.:D

corky
01-Jul-06, 12:10
Thanks for that - will give them a call and see if they take tents and an army of bairns - looks like Spain is off after all!!

Liz
01-Jul-06, 12:51
Hope you have a nice time Corky. Who needs Spain?!!!:lol:

It is situated in a beautiful place and the new owners (William and Tricia Miller) have done a great job in making the site a lovely place to stay.

However, it is shocking that their business is being hampered by the fact that Mr Guest, of the Highland Council, won't allow access to a road for high vehicles (twelve potential customers were 'turned away' last week alone!) which is not only bad for the campsite but for the local economy as campers will probably use local shops and restaurants.:mad:

katarina
01-Jul-06, 14:14
this is so ridiculous! We should start a petition!

Liz
02-Jul-06, 17:52
this is so ridiculous! We should start a petition!
Quite agree. I think the owner was considering doing this but he has approached John Thurso MP to see if he can help.

Surely local people and businesses would support the new owners in their bid to get this road opened.

An online petition would be a good idea but don't know how to set this up?

dirdyweeker
02-Jul-06, 19:37
Hear, hear. I believe a large number of vans have missed out on the opportunity of living in Wick over the holidays due to bureaucracy. Too much red tape holding the new owners back. The opening of the site has lost a lot of custom this year. I do believe the locals should add support in any way they can.

Julz
13-Jul-06, 12:10
Hey Guys

Ye the site is re-opened and the more publicity the better!! I'm glad to see it's not just us that's frustrated with the denied access to the second road we've been turning away 4 to 5 people every day that are arriving and turning down bookings left right and centre

cuddlepop
13-Jul-06, 14:07
Are you keeping a record of the numbers youare turning away?I'm sure you've got a case to decrease your rental because of the restrictions.
Is it still chilly up there for camping?.We went to the borders last July and wimpy me was freezing![lol]

Liz
13-Jul-06, 14:42
Hey Guys

Ye the site is re-opened and the more publicity the better!! I'm glad to see it's not just us that's frustrated with the denied access to the second road we've been turning away 4 to 5 people every day that are arriving and turning down bookings left right and centre

Hi Julz!

Have you heard anything from John Thurso?

It would be worth contacting Tugmistress to find out how to set up an online petition which you could send to Mr Guest.

It is ridiculous that you are having to turn away so many people. No other local business has to put up with this so why should you?:mad:

Pepsi
13-Jul-06, 15:17
Hi Julz!

Have you heard anything from John Thurso?

It would be worth contacting Tugmistress to find out how to set up an online petition which you could send to Mr Guest.

It is ridiculous that you are having to turn away so many people. No other local business has to put up with this so why should you?:mad:

I have already checked this out for Mr Miller - in the early 80s when the caravan club took out their lease with HC it was thought that at that time the road was ok for caravans. The road was newer and caravans were smaller and it was not perceived to be used that often.

In 2006 things have changed - people sue at a drop of a hat!. Like you say Julz 5 or 6 people wanting to use it a day. There is already signs of subsidence in areas and it got a particular battering a couple of years ago when we had a really windy night.

The council have inspected the road and cannot honestly say it is fit for any usage of heavy vehicles. What if someone got hurt as owners of the land it would be the councils responsibility and they would be open for being sued because they allowed a road to used for something it was not fit to be used for.

Access to that area is a difficulty - open to any ideas (with minimal cost) that would make it usable. :confused

krieve
13-Jul-06, 15:21
why can't the council sort the road? then they are less likely to be sued.

Mr P Cannop
13-Jul-06, 15:40
i agree with that comment

unicorn
13-Jul-06, 15:44
I must say the two term "the council" and "fix the road" made me laugh out loud, the council want our money for council tax fast enough but are never very willing to stump it back up repairing and servicing amenities!!

Pepsi
13-Jul-06, 15:47
why can't the council sort the road? then they are less likely to be sued.

The road I believe needs to be widened and is some areas it is too narrow to widen.

Even if it could be fixed where is the council to get the money from? The schools? Do without upgrading other roads? Put up the council tax?

contrary to belief the council the council have no spare money. They had to find 7million pounds worth of cuts this year and over the next couple of years the Scottish Executive giving them £20million pounds less money - so where would you take the money to upgrade the road?

krieve
13-Jul-06, 16:27
The council has no spare money lol, it not like we are talking about them sorting the A9, it's only a little road but yet the council won't pay out what a surprise. yet the council are quick enough when it comes to us paying council tax.

unicorn
13-Jul-06, 17:34
Maybe they should ask Thurso council for help because they obviously have too much money as pointed out with the paying overtime to lay chips on a road on a Saturday!!

Royster1911
13-Jul-06, 17:43
Now that the police have underspent by £100,000[disgust] , that is a start for the road fund at least. But, as we all know, that money will not leave Inverness. Funny they never have problems with lack of money for road works[evil]

Liz
13-Jul-06, 19:52
Why on earth would the Council lease a business which can only operate at less than half capacity?

Surely the onus is on the council to repair this road. As Krieve said it is not the A9!!!!

Also this business will benefit the local community so surely is worth this small investment?

connieb19
13-Jul-06, 19:57
It seems ridiculous that the council don't have money to fund this..:(

footie chick
13-Jul-06, 19:59
Maybe they should ask Thurso council for help because they obviously have too much money as pointed out with the paying overtime to lay chips on a road on a Saturday!!

Its the only day of the week you see them working :lol: or driving at breakneck speed back to the depot for 4.30 dont know where they hide out in between times.

What about Case? couldn't they help out?

ice box
13-Jul-06, 22:04
It seems ridiculous that the council don't have money to fund this..:(
The answer to that is to pay them less in wages and cut all the expenses as there are getting far to much at the moment

chris
13-Jul-06, 23:51
Rates Keep Going Up So What Do You Do With It! Never See The Roads So Bad In Caithness Just Take A Look At The South Road For One, Also Anyone Starting Up A Business In A Deprived Area Deserves All The Help Possible,why Not Ask The Police For Some Money A 100,000 Would Help To Improve The Road

Julz
14-Jul-06, 23:24
I can see what ur all sayin but if the council know they dont have the money to renew the road then why on earth would they keep plastering in the papers that they want to encourage more tourists to the area when the know there is no facilites/places in the area for them to stay! Just take a look at the bowling green what a state! I totally agree with Liz why lease a site if they know it can only be used to half capacity! Lord Thurso believes the road is in excellent condition but his problem is there is no pavement for pedestrians to use, this has never been a problem in the past so why should it be a problem now i have to ask?

katarina
16-Jul-06, 21:39
People power please! If public opinion can get us ASDA, surely it can help keep the caravan site functional! How do we start a petition?

riggerboy
17-Jul-06, 17:12
i dont think the council want the campsite they probably have another use for it, MR smith from the council has the answers to the questions however as he is at this moment in time playing GOD to the county we will never know his reasons for all the upset and restrictions he has put on the campsite, we know he wants to shut it down because its not suitable, if that was the case then why let MR & MRS miller take on the lease?

corky
20-Jul-06, 11:47
time to bring this back to the front page - glad to see the original post not only answered my question but kick started a major discussion.

new question - where is the site these days and will the road take a Kia Sedona with roof box?

cuddlepop
20-Jul-06, 15:10
When they say they wouldnt allow highed sided vehicles,just exactly how high?there's no mention of the restrictions on todays front page of the org:confused

Julz
20-Jul-06, 21:34
The height restriciton is 2.89metres between 9'3" and 9'6"

dragonfly
20-Jul-06, 23:19
Julz, just seen photos of site on front page and can only say Well Done, the site looks fantastic! good luck in your venture and hopefully the red tape and beaurocracy gets sorted out

cuddlepop
22-Jul-06, 20:04
Going to bring this back up this needs further discussion.
Been on to the web site and you can clearly see time and money have been spent on this.Hopefully not for it to be closed down because of lack of use.
Simple points which i think need to be considered.

Who owns the road? Is it private, then under the Roads (Scotlald Act) the roads authority, this case THC, can compel the ownere to remedy the matter as to it being safe to use. Perhaps Mr Guest could help?

If it is a council owned road, ie repaiable at public expense under the Vehicles Excise act 1971, then why is it not being done?

If the road is dangerous, then quite simply it should be closed. It is or it isn't. It cannot be a wee bit dodgy or almost alright. It is fit to use or it is not.

Order can be brought in to restrict the movemenys of HGV (except for access).

A car on average, even a 4x4 with a caravan at most will weigh at the most 5kg, whivh the average road shgould be able to carry.

All sorts of issues here. It strikes me that the council saw a way to get rid of a burden and then left the new sit owners to get on with it, probably in the full knowledge that the road was falling apart.

as to what budget to get cut, thats the members privelage. But what must be borne in mind is the legal obligation to maintain the road as well as educate children, provide social services. I accept the council has no money but that really is the councils problem. Perhaps they should go cap in hand to the Scot Exec, Please Sir can i have some more?

Jemima
29-Jul-06, 10:02
As an interested party in the caravan site when offers were being invited for the lease, I'd like to add my tuppence worth.

Any business plan submitted to the council for the site should have considered access, and this should have been a major part of lease negotiations. Mr Miller was well aware of the problem prior to signing the lease and it was him that said he did not consider it a major problem.

Obviously he has now revised this view, but I'm sorry, this just smacks of poor planning. If this access is much sought after now, why not take the council up on their suggestion - they can have the access if they are willing to cover the costs of the Public Liability Insurance.

Yes, the caravan site looks nice, and well done on getting this far (eventally, surely it could have opened before July).

But I happened to pass a few sites in the county over the weekend and Wick is not fairing well in comparison. A website would be nice and a marketing plan would be great. Handwritten and gramatically incorrect signs posted in stupid places is actually detrimental.

And I'm at a loss to why the council gave the site to someone who does not comply with current legislation regarding disabled access, after all this was half the reason the Caravan Club bowed out of Wick.

Julz
31-Jul-06, 23:35
When the lease for the Wick Caravan and Camping Site was drawn up the access down the riverside road was included and rightfully so, but due to smaller errors in the lease such as spelling mistakes, and the council wishing to controll shop opening and closing hours and the season months in which we could stay open, all of which were not satisfactory, the lease had to be returned to be amended. You could clearly see that members of the council had never been near a caravan site to see the purpose of a shop being open early and late for the camper's benefit and the correct seasonal months. (no disrespect to the council for this as they admitted that their judgement on the matter was wrong and the errors were corrected) The council asked us if we would be willing to get public liability insurance for the access road, if we would create signs to be put down the road to alert campervans and motorhomes of a 5mph speed limit and also if we would tell them when they came to collect the keys to stop their vehicles if a pedestrian was walking on the road to let them pass. All of which we agreed to and we also got a quote on public liability and the insurance company informed us that as soon as the lease was complete they would organise the insurance. The council said they were happy with this and we awaited further contact. Just 2 days before the lease was due to be signed the council returned it to us denying access down the road, to us this came as a great shock because the road access had been present in the lease from day one making us question the sudden change of heart. Roughly about a month before the lease was signed the council gave us keys for the gates of the site as they knew there was a great deal of work to be done for the site to be opened any time this year, in this month money had to be spent in tidying the site up in all that we did, the council knew that a great deal of money was spent in doing this and knew that we would not pull out of the lease because of the access road due to the amount of money that had been spent! Perhaps this was a bit foolish on our part but can you seriously blame us for wanting the site up and running this year in time to make some money. after the site being closed already for a year and a half if it was closed for much longer tourists would eventually give up hope on it ever being reopened.

In answer to your comment, could we have opened earlier than what we did, i'm sorry to say made me laugh! If as you say you were an interested party in the site you would have seen the state of the site and how run down it was. (it did not take an interested party of the site to see this as anyone walking around the site could see that for themselves!) The toilet block was condemned and unfit for use, paint was flaking from the walls and the plumbing and electrics were also out of action. ( if anyone wishes to see photographs of this before it was done up please ask and i will be glad to send them on) There was also a great deal of vandalism done to the site such as fencing being knocked down toilets being broken into, toilets and sinks smashed, spray paint on walls etc the list goes on. Just because the outside work was completed does not mean that the inside was anywhere near ready! Just because the grass was cut and broken/dead trees were cut down does not mean the site was automatically ready for reopening. I personally am proud at how quickly the site was brought back to a respectable standard and fit for use, and i must say that without the amazing help from family and close friends the site would not have opened this year!

This site does comply with the current legislation regarding disabled access! At the moment the legislation does not state that a disabled toilet and shower must be provided but just to inform you we have plans being drawn up at the moment to build a disabled toilet and shower cubicle which will be in place by the start of next season! The Caravan Club did not bow out because of this they bowed out due to the toilet block becoming condemned and the council refusing to provide them with money to do it up to a suitable standard this is why the Caravan Club handed over their lease.

All signs currently being displayed are of great benifit to the site due to the council signs being hard to recognise on the road because tourists were used to seing the ones which stated that the site was closed, we constructed our own signs to say we were open once more under new management, at present i can see no gramatical errors but if i am mistaken please inform me and we will have them changed and updated. Majority of the tourists we have staying on the site at the moment have stated that it was due to our own signs (not the council type) that they knew we were open and came to stay!
I can assure you that the places where our signs are situated is not stupid and are in fact catching the eye of most passers bye! (after all you noticed them Jemima if you did not you wouldn't be able to discuss the matter!) One of the council signs which we put up, had to be placed just before the traffic lights at the top of the cliff, but i'm afraid that due to most drivers concentrating on the lights and not other signs around them, (rightly so for their own safety) the sign is a bit of a waste as most people are unaware of it's presence.

Due to such a great expense on refurbishing the site it has been difficult to adveritse as i can assure you it is not cheap. Due to the hold back on the lease being signed we missed the begining of the camping site season and so missed the opportunity to adveritse with many magazines and information centres, including visit scotland, but all will have the wick caravan and camping site advertised for next year, including our own website!

I hope this answers all your questions, queeries and corrects any misunderstandings.

katarina
01-Aug-06, 10:15
Well for one I applaud the millers for their efforts in getting the caravan site open, and, sorry jemima, but you comments sound like sour grapes to me. And it would be nice if a councilor could comment on the reasons why they changed their minds on the access road.

SNOWDOG
01-Aug-06, 15:49
Its Strange That The Council Won't Allow A Camper Van Down The Riverside Access For Safety Reasons. Last Week I Noticed The Bonfire Being Prepared By All Sorts Of Vehicles!! (vans, Pickups, Lorries, Tractors, Jcb's, Etc) Odd That Isnt It?

Whitewater
01-Aug-06, 19:52
Is it OK for the council to lease a site without access?? particularly when use and type of site is entirely dependent on the road. It seems strange to me that that they have done this, and then blocked entrance to larger vehicles and mobile homes. But I guess nothing this council does surprises me.

I think Julz that you should look deeper into this, perhaps even hire a good lawer, expensive, but may be worth it in the long run. If I were in your situation I would not be paying the lease on a site they had banned the access to, and I don't think you should be either. (it's useless without a road)

Good luck, you are brave taking it on.

cuddlepop
02-Aug-06, 22:20
Just back after a few days staying at the caravan park.It is a lovely site and well worth a visit.
Thank you to the Millers for making our stay an enjoyable one.Hope you got the result you were looking for today.:Razz

Julz
03-Aug-06, 21:41
After a meeting on wednesday morning with Mr Flear and Mr Hargrave my dad was told that the council have agreed to tidy up the access road, extend the narrow areas and pay for public liability, giving us the access we've longed to have. We want to thank them for their help and we look forward to having the road opened in April of next year at the start of our new season!

Thanks to everyone for your support it's nice to know that everyone feels the same as we once did before the result we've been waiting for came through.

Wish
03-Aug-06, 21:45
Excellent news:cool:

We stayed at the campsite about 2.5 years ago, its a lovely spot:D

cuddlepop
03-Aug-06, 21:51
Once again its a credit to the community fot highlighting the short comings of the site and making the powers that be sit up and listen.
Caithness.org rules ok!:lol:

Julz
03-Aug-06, 23:14
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay cuddlepop and i hope you'll consider coming back again on another holiday! It was a pleasure having you on site!

Liz
04-Aug-06, 14:02
That's great news Julz!!!

Better late than never!:D

stekar
04-Aug-06, 20:37
Brilliant news, at last the council has come to their senses!

We wish your parents every success running the site. We stayed there a couple of years ago and it was a lovely site.

bosco
16-Aug-06, 13:52
As i was up in caithness staying at loch watten, on holiday fae fife i thought i would go and pay a visit to wick caravan site to see what it was like as the last time i was their was 10 year ago,As the wardens were on there day off when i arrived ,there friends who were their made me very welcome to have a look around and we had a good chat, So when i buy my own tourer for next year i will certainly be paying a visit. So i wish you all the luck as you have done a good job of the site:D

Julz
24-Aug-06, 21:55
does anyone have any old pics of the old wick caravan and camping site?????

dragonfly
05-Sep-06, 16:02
Julz,

would you be considering using part of your site for storage of caravans in winter?

I (and many others) are trying to find somewhere suitable but no-one in caithness seems to do it - could be an earner for you in the off season?!?