PDA

View Full Version : Cheap car tax

shazzap
20-Jul-10, 23:03
Just got myself another car, and after a lot of research managed to get one that costs £30 per year.
A friend asked me if i know which cars come under this category. I said i know some diesels are cheaper then petrol cars to tax and its all to do with emissions but i couldn't say go for this or that car, if you know what i mean.
Does any one know of a web site that if you type in car ved bands, or cheap cars to tax, or whatever.

Kodiak
20-Jul-10, 23:15
Here is a chart that shows the Road Tax Rate for Cars Registered after 2001. The lower the emmissions the lower the Tax.

So if you are going to buy a car check the emmissions and then look up the chart.

http://i29.tinypic.com/33dgjrr.jpg

shazzap
20-Jul-10, 23:19
Here is a chart that shows the Road Tax Rate for Cars Registered after 2001. The lower the emmissions the lower the Tax.

So if you are going to buy a car check the emmissions and then look up the chart.

http://i29.tinypic.com/33dgjrr.jpg

Thanks for your reply Kodiak, but i have seen that.
I was thinking more on the lines of for example Ford so and so and Vauxhall so and so £30 per year tax or VED band A, B, C, D etc etc.
Am i making sense

Beat Bug
21-Jul-10, 09:35
We've ordered a Kia Strike, should have it soon. First year is FREE, after that it's £30 a year.

ducati
21-Jul-10, 09:48
If you buy a new low emission car you get cheap or free tax which is great.

But do not be fooled, (or be smug) that you are doing anything for the planet. New cars being built, create more pollution and use more resources than they ever will in their lifetime on the road.

Yet another con by the greenist politicians and business leaders.

So if you want to be green, run an old car ;)

Phill
21-Jul-10, 10:33
Drifting the thread slightly....

The road tax system should be abolished, it must cost millions to manage and in these austere times that money could be better utilised than on an out dated system as this.

Abolish this nonsense and just add .25p per litre to fuel and they'll more than make up the revenue.

If someone can afford to fuel and run a 'gas guzzler' do you think the option of £30 annual tax is going to sway them! No I don't think so either.

carasmam
21-Jul-10, 10:42
THIS (http://www.roadtaxprices.co.uk/Road_Tax_Band_A_Cars.htm) was the site I used when getting my new car. You can look by band or by manufacturer on this one :D

badger
21-Jul-10, 12:01
THIS (http://www.roadtaxprices.co.uk/Road_Tax_Band_A_Cars.htm) was the site I used when getting my new car. You can look by band or by manufacturer on this one :D

What a useful site - thanks for the link.

buffy
21-Jul-10, 12:23
We've ordered a Kia Strike, should have it soon. First year is FREE, after that it's £30 a year.

Ooh that's interesting! Which Strike you getting?> The Rio or the Picanto?
Is yours diesel or petrol?

shazzap
21-Jul-10, 20:41

But do not be fooled, (or be smug) that you are doing anything for the planet. New cars being built, create more pollution and use more resources than they ever will in their lifetime on the road.

Mines not a new car, It's a Y reg Renault clio.
I am not doing it to be green but to save money.

Beat Bug
22-Jul-10, 00:07
Just know it's a Strike! But I also run a 1970 MG Midget, (which I've had for 24 years) and get over 40 mpg. And free tax to boot!

Green_not_greed
22-Jul-10, 09:28
Yes, get an old car! As Beat Bug says, cars over a certain age are road tax exempt. I can't recall how old - about 25 or 30 years.

ducati
22-Jul-10, 10:01
Yes, get an old car! As Beat Bug says, cars over a certain age are road tax exempt. I can't recall how old - about 25 or 30 years.

"Any car built (as opposed to registered) prior to Jan 1 1973 qualifies to be a Historic car in the eyes of DVLA, and as such qualifies for zero rated road tax."

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/classic_car_article12.htm#2

Lots of other benefits too. Cheap insurance, low cost servicing and most British cars of this age have a very healthy parts supply chain.

Plus STYLE and you can't put a price on that. But for instance; fancy a Rolls Royce /Bentley /Jaguar/Mercedes/Lotus/Ferrari / Maserati for the price of a second hand Mondeo?

Or an MG/ Triumph TR or Stag/ Mini/ Hillman Imp/ Riley/Woolsley the choice is endless :D

Go on..you know you want to.

annie bowyer
23-Jul-10, 23:49

How nice to hear someone talking sense for a change;
vested interests are misleading the world- anyone with a bit of sense can see that repairing is better than making new vehicles- I speak as the owner of a 25 year old landrover which has done more than 500,000 miles

ducati
24-Jul-10, 08:52
Mines not a new car, It's a Y reg Renault clio.
I am not doing it to be green but to save money.

Well you are being green, and saving money :D

shazzap
24-Jul-10, 09:30
Well you are being green, and saving money :D

Yes i suppose so.
Was pleased and surprised to get a diesel with low tax for the price i paid.

Phill
24-Jul-10, 09:47
I speak as the owner of a 25 year old landrover which has done more than 500,000 miles

Barely run in.