PDA

View Full Version : Paypal scam?

Fluff
20-Jul-10, 21:26
I normally pretty alert to scams, but I have been sent an email and I can't decide whether it's genuine. It doesn't ask me to do anything, but with all the scams going around I thought I would get people's opinions. It was sent to me (addressed) and has a reference no. It reads;

As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the PayPal system.
During a recent screening, we noticed an issue regarding your account.

We have reason to believe that your account was accessed by a third party.
Because protecting the security of your account is our primary concern, we have limited access to sensitive PayPal account features.
We understand that this may be an inconvenience but please understand that this temporary limitation is for your protection.

Reference Number: xxx

We've limited access to your account temporarily .We'll review the limitation once you respond with the information we've requested.

To respond and remove the limitation,
go to the Resolution Centre.
If you'd like clarification on the limitation, please let us know by going to the Help Centre and clicking Contact Us.

Thank you for helping to resolve this problem.

Yours sincerely,

PayPal Account Review Department

Please do not reply to this email.
This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response.
For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and click the Help
link in the top right corner of any PayPal page.

Anfield
20-Jul-10, 21:29
It is a scam.
Surprised the Org's new resident ScamSpotter has not jumped down your throat yet.
Must have gone for a game of golf

neepnipper
20-Jul-10, 21:30
I would ring Paypal and ask if the e-mail is correct, you can find their number on their website, I had ring them about something once and they were really helpful.

Kodiak
20-Jul-10, 21:40
It is a SCAM. When PayPal write to you they always start the letter off with:-

Dear (Your Real Name)

They always use your real name at the start of any e-mail. This is a security measure as they should be the only one who know the real name of your account.

So if you receive a e-mail from someone claiming to be from PayPal and it does not have your real name at the start then it is not from them

What to do is to forward the WHOLE of the e-mail to :-

Spoof@paypal.com

They will answer and will advise you if it is a spoof e-mail or not.

Fluff
20-Jul-10, 21:47
That's the thing, the email did start with my full real name. This is why I decided to post, I can't decide whether it is real or not. As it says my name and does not ask me to do anything I want to believe it, but I want to be cautious.

poppett
20-Jul-10, 21:51
I would follow up Kodiak`s good advice, and put the ball firmly in their court.

gillsbay
20-Jul-10, 22:13
surely if you log into your paypal account and go to the resolution centre as requested in the e-mail, then if there is a problem you will be told and if not you can assume the e-mail is false; by logging into paypal and not using a link then you will not be scammed

badger
20-Jul-10, 22:24
gillsbay is right - I would say this is definitely not a scam (and I can usually see them a mile off!). If they use your name and suggest you log into your account, which you will presumably do by going onto their website in the usual way and not using any link in the email, you will soon find out what is wrong. If it was a scam they would not be asking you to use the Paypal website but would ask for information or give you a dodgy link.

Fluff
20-Jul-10, 22:26
I have logged in via google, it came up straight away saying my account was limited and asked me to put in my card number. I am going to email Spoof 1st, something doesn't feel right. I might just be being over cautious.
I will let you know what they say!

Happy Guy
20-Jul-10, 22:30
It is a SCAM. When PayPal write to you they always start the letter off with:-

Dear (Your Real Name)

They always use your real name at the start of any e-mail. This is a security measure as they should be the only one who know the real name of your account.

So if you receive a e-mail from someone claiming to be from PayPal and it does not have your real name at the start then it is not from them

What to do is to forward the WHOLE of the e-mail to :-

Spoof@paypal.com

They will answer and will advise you if it is a spoof e-mail or not.

Kodiak is absolutely right!
But you don't say HOW it was addressed to you - was it with your name? Also SCAM e-mails usually ask you to 'click on a link' to go to the site, which will take you to a bogus site. If however you LOG ON to Paypal and go direct, you are unlikely to have a problem. BUT I would still agree, it is most likely to be a scam!

EDDIE
20-Jul-10, 22:37
I have logged in via google, it came up straight away saying my account was limited and asked me to put in my card number. I am going to email Spoof 1st, something doesn't feel right. I might just be being over cautious.
I will let you know what they say!

When ever your on websites its important that you pay attention to the web address at the top of the page and read it properly so you no you are on the correct site
The link below is for pay pal

http://www.paypal.co.uk/uk

Geoff
20-Jul-10, 22:54
I say 100% a scam

Dog-eared
20-Jul-10, 23:06
I spoof ALL paypal communications first.

Metalattakk
20-Jul-10, 23:19
I spoof ALL paypal communications first.

I delete them all. I don't have a PayPal account. :D

annthracks
20-Jul-10, 23:42
fluff - it's NOT a scam!! you don't say whether it was addressed "dear (your name) but I bet it was.

it's a right pain in the ears (anag)

I went through it with paypal a month or so ago and lost something I was buying because of their incompetence and delay in reinstating my account!

"it's to prevent fraud" - bollox - my security measures leave me in no fear of fraud or ID theft, and them getting me to go to their resolution centre and confirm who I am by them RE-sending me a code to my phone/bank... grrrrrr!!!

annthracks
20-Jul-10, 23:49
and in 3 or 4 days when you've jumped through their hoops and changed your password (again), you'll get an email along the lines of

Dear XXXXXX

We have completed our review and have restored your account.

Thank you for your patience during this process and for helping to make PayPal the safest and most trusted online payment solution.

Yours sincerely,

PayPal Account Review Department

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and click the Help link in the top right corner of any PayPal page.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright © 1999-2010 PayPal. All rights reserved.

PayPal (Europe) S.à r.l. & Cie, S.C.A.
Société en Commandite par Actions
Registered Office: 5th Floor 22-24 Boulevard Royal L-2449, Luxembourg RCS Luxembourg B 118 349

PayPal Email ID PP20

annthracks
20-Jul-10, 23:51
It is a scam.
Surprised the Org's new resident ScamSpotter has not jumped down your throat yet.

Maybe the reason is IT'S NOT A SCAM! ...

pentlander
20-Jul-10, 23:53
A simple rule is to ignore all e-mails unless you personally know the person sending you it.

Serenity
21-Jul-10, 00:52
I don't see the problem? Log into paypal through the correct address and you will soon find out?
As for logging in via google *headdesk* this is the thing I hate most about my job. People who think url entry bar equals google and vice versa. Try getting them on the correct website or router page even after patiently explaining the difference in a 100 different ways. I am nice at work, customers often say I have the patience of a saint but I am nearly dying inside.
On another note how many times do we need the support call warning? Sure that thread must have been the 5th or so about it recently.
I do feel bad when I get elderly etc customers who have fallen for it or similar but dearie me, none of this is to do with computer literacy. It is basic common sense.

Serenity
21-Jul-10, 01:04
Maybe the reason is IT'S NOT A SCAM! ...
Agreed.
There are a lot of scams around but I do not understand why so many people said this is one. Unless it links to a website to enter data or asks you
to reply with it, it should be ok. If it asks you to login your normal way fair enough. No problem with the OP asking to check of course and e-mailing the spoof/phishing teams is always a good idea if you are unsure.
But to reiterate, google is not the blooming address bar and using it that way can lead to other problems including other phishing websites.

John Little
21-Jul-10, 11:50
Oi thinks it's them there Catholics again!

http://ozatheist.wordpress.com/2008/08/16/papal-or-paypal/

tiger woods
21-Jul-10, 13:46
It is a scam.
Just off the golf course and I can confirm that it is indeed a scam.
Next time you pay for something via Paypal you will be informed if there is a problem with your account.
You should log into your Paypal account via the Paypal website and check if you have purchased anything you don't know about. I'll wager your account is fine and you will see that this is a scam.
P.S. Dont even open these type of emails in case of viruses, trojans etc. Just dump them and or report them.

annthracks
21-Jul-10, 14:44
Just off the golf course and I can confirm that it is indeed a scam.
Next time you pay for something via Paypal you will be informed if there is a problem with your account.
You should log into your Paypal account via the Paypal website and check if you have purchased anything you don't know about. I'll wager your account is fine and you will see that this is a scam.
P.S. Dont even open these type of emails in case of viruses, trojans etc. Just dump them and or report them.

Stick to playing around or golf, pal, you obviously haven't a clue about this :)

tiger woods
21-Jul-10, 14:54
Stick to playing around or golf, pal, you obviously haven't a clue about this :)
The only reason these unscrupulous scamsters survive is because idiots like you get caught out every once in a while. You lash at it and watch your bank account dwindle in the process. You obviously know more about this than me because I 'haven't a clue about this,' You'll learn, probably the hard way, but you'll learn.

annthracks
21-Jul-10, 17:27
The only reason these unscrupulous scamsters survive is because idiots like you get caught out every once in a while.

Don't call me an idiot, you troll

You lash at it and watch your bank account dwindle in the process.

Never has done in 30 yrs of being online.

You obviously know more about this than me because I 'haven't a clue about this,'

Please, tell me something I don't know.

You'll learn, probably the hard way, but you'll learn.

Whereas, you, apparently, won't!

tiger woods
21-Jul-10, 17:34
Don't call me an idiot, you troll

Please, tell me something I don't know.

Whereas, you, apparently, won't!
You're the troll.
These are my opinions, like them or lump them.
Heaven help us if we all had the same opinions as you.

gillsbay
21-Jul-10, 17:48
A simple rule is to ignore all e-mails unless you personally know the person sending you it.

probably good for security, but I think that would make it very difficult to do any business online, most of my e-mails are from people I do not know personally but with whom I am doing some form of online transaction

badger
21-Jul-10, 18:59
Why is this going round in circles? If it was a scam they wouldn't be advising to log into account - they would supply a link to something phoney or ask for personal details to be emailed back.

If Fluff logged into his/her account in the usual way and found the problem advised, then it has to be genuine. Unless Paypal has been hacked in which case we'd all know about it.

As to ignoring all emails you don't recognise, that's ridiculous. It's usually easy to spot spam or phishing and if you've got a good spam filter that will weed most out (not all).

Kodiak
21-Jul-10, 19:09

I think you will find that the public use of the internet has not been going for as long as 30 years.

tiger woods
21-Jul-10, 19:42
I think you will find that the public use of the internet has not been going for as long as 30 years.
I think the 'online' is a typo, it was meant to be 'on wine'

M R
21-Jul-10, 20:10
If you look at the web address these links take you to, there clearly FAKE. Not rocket science folks...

eg.

Fluff
21-Jul-10, 20:54
I have decided to lock the thread for the moment until I find out for definite. Thank you for everyone's advice and help, it is not worth fighting about and falling out!

group hug <3