PDA

View Full Version : Saudacoes da Madeira ( Greetings from Madeira)

_Ju_
30-Jun-06, 08:46
Dear Orgers,

I am having a lovely time on the Island of Madeira. Before you think of me as a sad orger who is buried in an internet cafe, getting her daily fix, let me clarify.
It is 08:45 am on a clear day that promises to be "brioling" hot (In the time I have been living in Caithness I have become unacustomed to 95% humidity at 28 degrees centigrade). I am sitting on a splanade (?), imbibing of the best coffee in the world, with the fruity smells of the market wafting over the square, brought on no wind at all ( read that again, Caithnessians: sea side with no wind!)Directly in front of me are some fishing boats and the sea, as calm as a mirror. In the distance we have the Desertas, islands which belong to Madeiras arquipelago but that are uninhabited.
Madeira has come a long way from when I was growing up. Before, where I am exactly, infact, was where we had our outdoor scout meetings and activities. Computers (never mind wi-fi: wireless connections) were science fiction. Now here I am in one of the most lovely places where I have ever typed, outdoors and listening to the sea.
I am going home in a while to fetch my camera and I promise to (finally) figure out how to get a picture on this board.

Take care all and I'll be back soon,

Ju

golach
30-Jun-06, 08:57
Ju, the memories of sailling up to and anchoring off Funchal on the RMS Windsor Castle have just come flooding back, and the laddies diving for coins thrown from the ship by the passengers, sadly we as crew were never allowed ashore as it was just a short stop on the way back to the UK.
Have a great time

Ann
30-Jun-06, 09:01
Ju. sounds absolutely wonderful; looking forward to the photos!
Cheers, Ann

candyfloss
30-Jun-06, 09:10
Sounds a lovely place Ju, your making us all jealous,enjoy the rest of your holiday,i'd love to see your pics too:)

Elenna
30-Jun-06, 09:54
It sounds completely beautiful, Ju! Enjoy the rest of your gorgeous morning, and the remainder of your holiday, too!

crystal
30-Jun-06, 11:52
sounds absolutly stunning enjoy the rest of your holiday ju:lol:

janette
30-Jun-06, 12:15
Have you been to the Lido, or up on the Chairlift? Are the old girls and the children still flogging crochet?