PDA

View Full Version : Help please - German mystery

badger
20-Jul-10, 15:26
In Thurso HomeAid shop this morning and they have something they don't know what it is so I said I'd post on here as am sure someone can help. Pic. attached but I should have got a better angle. The metal ring is attached to a double chain which hangs from a pulley at the top and can be unhooked where it joins the 3 chains attached to the ring. A friend has translated the German label attached to one leg for me but it is all safety warnings so not much help and that's all they know. For what it's worth it says:

Achtung. Keinen Spiritus, kien Benzin oder vergleichbare. Flüssigkeiten zum Anzünden und Wiederenzünden verwenden.

and even I know what Achtung means ! Anyone near the shop would get a better idea having a proper look (and they're having a half price sale :) ).

Shabbychic
20-Jul-10, 15:38
Maybe it's a garden swing for someone with bad hemorrhoids? :confused

Metalattakk
20-Jul-10, 15:41
For what it's worth it says:

Achtung. Keinen Spiritus, kien Benzin oder vergleichbare. Flüssigkeiten zum Anzünden und Wiederenzünden verwenden.

Google Translate gives this: "No alcohol, gasoline or similar kien. Fluids for igniting and Wiederenzünden use."

Seems heat is involved somewhere.

tiger woods
20-Jul-10, 15:42
A cooking tripod. Sits over the top of an open fire and holds pots in the ring in the centre. I think!!!

badger
20-Jul-10, 17:41
Isn't it rather tall for that? It has three longer bolts that go through the frame near the top - what would they be for? Still hoping someone will look at it and come up with an answer :roll:

tiger woods
20-Jul-10, 17:52
Have a look.
www.amazon.com/.../dp/B0011ZRJEI (http://www.amazon.com/BrandsOnSale-Camping-Cooking-Tripod/dp/B0011ZRJEI)

Kevin Milkins
20-Jul-10, 20:58
That looks like a very useful bit of kit and I may pop over tomorrow and buy it.:Razz

It would be a great present for the mother in law to put her cauldron in.;)

badger
20-Jul-10, 22:30
Have a look.
www.amazon.com/.../dp/B0011ZRJEI (http://www.amazon.com/BrandsOnSale-Camping-Cooking-Tripod/dp/B0011ZRJEI)

Well I think you must be right :) . The chain is not as strong as some of those but probably strong enough and it dismantles easily. How interesting. I'll tell them tomorrow - thanks.

Kevin - you'd better get there quick. Might be a queue ;)

pegasus
21-Jul-10, 00:07
.:Razz
It would be a great present for the mother in law to put her cauldron in.;)

MIL a good cook then? ;)
Here is hoping the mistery will soon be solved cauldron or cooking pot?

sakthi
21-Jul-10, 07:47
hi,
i am new to this forums!!!!

badger
21-Jul-10, 11:09
I've pass the info. on to the shop now so, since this is such good weather for camping and campfires [disgust] , I'm sure there will be a long queue.

squidge
21-Jul-10, 11:48
I use one for cooking at re enactments - and I have a cauldron ( cackle cackle cackle ) Although this one in the pic looks like the metal is coated with something and I am not sure why there would be a ring rather than a hook to hang your cauldren from.

Could it be a jelly bag holder for making jams and jellies? Although its a bit big lol. The jelly bag would have to attach to the ring somehow - does it come undone

highland red
21-Jul-10, 11:57
It is for cooking..............In fact they had them for sale in Lidl in the fairly recent past.

Tatbabe
21-Jul-10, 13:53
a garden bbq grill ... you put your meat / sausages on it and let it slightly spin around to assure every piece of meat gets grilled evenly ...

I am German so I know :D

badger
21-Jul-10, 18:48
Maybe I should have sent Homeaid a link to this thread instead of just giving them the answer and the link to Amazon.

I'm beginning to think it sounds like a good idea - wonder how much it is?

Raven
21-Jul-10, 19:07
Yep, its a Schwenkgrill! You can make delicious grilled meat on there!

Alan16
21-Jul-10, 21:02
Google Translate gives this: "No alcohol, gasoline or similar kien. Fluids for igniting and Wiederenzünden use."

Seems heat is involved somewhere.

You seem to have solved the mystery, so this is just for the extra info: "Wiederenzünden" should be "Wiederanzünden" I believe, and just means re-igniting.

badger
21-Jul-10, 21:09
You seem to have solved the mystery, so this is just for the extra info: "Wiederenzünden" should be "Wiederanzünden" I believe, and just means re-igniting.

Dear me, so it should (having Googled it) - and I thought I'd copied it so carefully. Or maybe it was a misprint on the label - it was made in China ;) . Did Latin at school, not German, so it's all Greek to me.

Alan16
21-Jul-10, 21:11
Dear me, so it should (having Googled it) - and I thought I'd copied it so carefully. Or maybe it was a misprint on the label - it was made in China ;) . Did Latin at school, not German, so it's all Greek to me.

Haha, well I did French at school I just happen to have a German best friend/flatmate. :)

And the fact that it was made in China would also explain why the German in general isn't very good (apparently).

Puzzled
22-Jul-10, 07:57
Translation:

Attention: Do not use kerosene, petrol or similar liquids to ignite or reignite.

Metalattakk
22-Jul-10, 11:35

Cheers. I knew something was wrong as googling "Wiederenzünden" comes back with nothing. Well except a link to this thread. :)

golach
22-Jul-10, 12:27
Haha, well I did French at school I just happen to have a German best friend/flatmate.

I never did any languages at school, but I have a Canadian best friend, but that does not mean I can understand all Canucks.
I also have Caithness best pals, I understand their spoken words, just not the words written by some.
I have lovely Polish barmaids in my local, but that also does not mean I speak perfect Polish, I know more about Mansion, Kiwi and Mr Sheen [lol]

Alan16
22-Jul-10, 12:33
I never did any languages at school, but I have a Canadian best friend, but that does not mean I can understand all Canucks.
I also have Caithness best pals, I understand their spoken words, just not the words written by some.
I have lovely Polish barmaids in my local, but that also does not mean I speak perfect Polish, I know more about Mansion, Kiwi and Mr Sheen [lol]

Haha, a bit of confusion perhaps - I told him to read it and tell me what it says, I haven't managed to pick up the language. :)

badger
22-Jul-10, 16:16
Thanks to all you helpful people it is now correctly assembled and re-united with its barbecue base so looks much better. No use for witches as the ring was really part of the frame so forget cauldrons.

Bobbyian
22-Jul-10, 18:06
I Think it should be that the grill part hangs on the chain from the top and dish with the foot part is for putting the charcoal fire so that you don`t destroy the ground underneath.... ie start peat fires... whoever buys it enjoy it it is a great piece of kit.. i give full marks for all of you for solving that one

badger
22-Jul-10, 18:23
I Think it should be that the grill part hangs on the chain from the top and dish with the foot part is for putting the charcoal fire so that you don`t destroy the ground underneath.... ie start peat fires... whoever buys it enjoy it it is a great piece of kit.. i give full marks for all of you for solving that one

Oh help - wonder if there will be any more suggestions. Hopefully whoever buys it will know what to do. Think we're getting there ....