PDA

View Full Version : roof tiles de-mossing

plutonio
20-Jul-10, 14:10
any know of a good company which can de-moss roof tiles and then treat?

wickblast
20-Jul-10, 20:37
any know of a good company which can de-moss roof tiles and then treat?give wickblast a ring 01955603454

2little2late
22-Jul-10, 23:56
Then when it has been de-mossed, buy some copper plates that fit on the roof apex. These will prevent moss from forming. Has something to do with electrolites in copper.

sweetpea
23-Jul-10, 00:08
Anyone know who will put the roof tiles on first. I've got a few missing and trying to get them replaced.

Nacho
23-Jul-10, 00:33
stay away from Aquashield, tell the wee weegie guy that you're a tennant and he'll immediately lose interest.

i'm amazed at the amount of houses with their adverts on around Thurso.

basically if your roof is mossy ... clean and paint it yourself/hire a local firm to clean and paint it for you.

do not pay a firm who mosey into town, chap your door and do the job for you at an extortionate rate.

ask yourself this ... how can a reputable firm tour around scotland, pay their staff a decent wage and pay for them to stay in the weigh inn ?!

answer - THEY ARE RIPPING THE EYES OUT OF YOU !!

get a quote from any of these guys and you'll see ...

http://www.caithness-business.co.uk/category.php?cat=8

apologies to the householders who proudly display Aquashield's adverts ... :lol:

wickblast
23-Jul-10, 11:45
stay away from Aquashield, tell the wee weegie guy that you're a tennant and he'll immediately lose interest.

i'm amazed at the amount of houses with their adverts on around Thurso.

basically if your roof is mossy ... clean and paint it yourself/hire a local firm to clean and paint it for you.

do not pay a firm who mosey into town, chap your door and do the job for you at an extortionate rate.

ask yourself this ... how can a reputable firm tour around scotland, pay their staff a decent wage and pay for them to stay in the weigh inn ?!

answer - THEY ARE RIPPING THE EYES OUT OF YOU !!

get a quote from any of these guys and you'll see ...

http://www.caithness-business.co.uk/category.php?cat=8

apologies to the householders who proudly display Aquashield's adverts ... :lol:people are being charged £3000 fof a small roof u could nerly put new tiles on for that thay r getting ripped off for sure

ele21
23-Jul-10, 13:13
Well aquashield are doing my neighbours roof and all the moss is all over my garden and my windows are filthy im not a happy bunny[evil]

Amy-Winehouse
23-Jul-10, 17:05
Id use Wick Blast before Aqua shield, Ive seen both firms efforts & the local lads win evry time, cheaper in price, better effort in cleaning the work surroundings up after wards + nothing is a problem for Wickblast`s team

Ricco
23-Jul-10, 20:19
We get ours done free - company called Mag Pies.

lol

Amy-Winehouse
23-Jul-10, 21:46
We get ours done free - company called Mag Pies.

lol

Aye but your in Canada if memory serves me right :confused[lol]

lagertops
23-Jul-10, 23:25
people are being charged £3000 fof a small roof u could nerly put new tiles on for that thay r getting ripped off for sure

I retiled my roof cheaper lol

stewart4364
24-Jul-10, 07:26
We have Redland concrete roof tiles which were in need of cleaning. As the rep was up at Allans Gillock at the time I asked about power washing the tiles to remove the moss and algae but was advised not to do it as the power washing could make the tiles porous. He advised using mechanical means such as a scraper and wire brush with lots of elbow grease ( Allans Gillock sell bottles of elbow grease) or using a chemical. Power washing was definately a no no.

ducati
24-Jul-10, 09:22
I didn't know what a big issue it was untill I bought my last house. My solicitor insisted it was demossed before we could complete.

2 1/2 years later and it's back. :eek:

Phill
24-Jul-10, 10:04
Cut the trees down!

Mosses & lichens occur more often on roofs that have trees near or overhanging, the leaves and stuff break down on the roof and this allows the moss spores and seeds to get a grip. North facing shallow pitched roofs are more susceptible.

Copper, as has been mentioned, is the answer, strands of wire fixed across the tiles will help as a long term solution. Anything else only lasts 2 to 3 years.

Scraping is not advised as this damages the tiles, a moss killing solution applied to the roof is the best way forward, then wash away the debris with a LOW pressure jet down the roof.

Either way, keep an eye on yer roof and keep it maintained, it can cause masses of damage inside yer hoose from a wee leak on yer roof (and if yer don't have accidental damage cover on yer insurance yer wont be covered).

So, cut the trees down.

Ricco
26-Jul-10, 10:55
Aye but your in Canada if memory serves me right :confused[lol]

Nope - sunny Reading, Berks.

:D

ducati
26-Jul-10, 11:39
So, cut the trees down.

Or demolish your house :eek:

sutherland87
06-Aug-10, 20:16
hi i know someone who does all roofing works from cleaning to tiling if you pm me i can give you there number! they dont take the eyes out of you either!xx;)