PDA

View Full Version : Manson of Thurso

tiffers
19-Jul-10, 20:27
Looking for info on Donald Manson & Jessie Bain
Donald was b c1801 Halkirk Caithness parents William Manson and Elizabeth Johnstone.
Donald married Jessie Bain dau of Alexander Bain & Jane Mckintosh. Dont know when or where they married but they were living at Brabster St Thurso 1861 and Donald was a draper children
Jane Manson 22
William Manson 21
Alexr Manson 13
Elizabeth Manson 16
John Manson 14
Bethe Manson 12
George Manson 10
Jessie Manson 7
Isabello Manson 4
Alicia Manson 4 Mo

His wife Jessie died 1868 of typhoid fever and by 1871 hes was living at Bank Street and was a Retired Merchant with three of his children Peter Manson 22 Jessie Manson 17 Isabella Manson 14 ( Isabella married a Thomas Foster Lennie in Tynemouth in 1875) I think that Thomas Lennie was from the caithness area but i am not sure where, Can anyone tell is Lennie a common name in Caithness.
Donald died 1882 at Bank st Thurso, does anyone know who any of his children married.

Skifter
19-Jul-10, 22:05
Lennie is not a common Caithness name but is quite common in Orkney.

tiffers
31-Jul-10, 14:18
Thanks for your reply , I did wonder if it could be orkney, so will try there
Tiffers

Rosemary Skea
01-Aug-10, 06:54
If you go to www.cursiter.com you will find births for Lennie - none for Thomas Foster Lennie. Foster is not an Orkney surname and it may be that Thomas's father was of Orkney origin but married in England where Thomas may have been born. GROS does not show a birth for Thomas Foster Lennie in Scotland.

My suggestion would be to try the English records to find Thomas's birth and then follow the trail back from there.

Rosemary

Rosemary Skea
01-Aug-10, 07:12
Further to my last post, Donald Manson and Jesse Bain married in Thurso on 6th July 1837.If you go to the FREEREG web site you will find the information there and also the births of their children. Jessie's name changes to Janet but Donald occupation is noted as being a merchant. If you go to FREECEN, you will find the family in all the census years from 1841-1871.

Rosemary

Rosemary Skea
02-Aug-10, 04:08
I found a Thomas F Lennie in Free BMD - died Tynemouth 1937. Also Isabella Lennie died South Shields 1938 aged 84.

Rosemary