PDA

View Full Version : Stray cat and 3 kittens found

babybunt
19-Jul-10, 09:57
Stray cat and her 3 kittens found up in the Henderson St/Ormlie area of Thurso. She is grey and white. She is living in my neighbours garden shed, cat protection are unable to catch them as he is away working at the mo and the cannot just go into his shed.

Called the SSPCA and they cannot help as they only deal with sick and injured animals, not stray cats.

Is she anyones cat?? I have been feeding her a little as I feel sorry for her and the little ones but don't want her to depend on me for food either.

What to do???

Liz
19-Jul-10, 12:54
Aw the poor wee cat!:~(

How long is the person whose shed she is in away for? Does he have any relations etc who could give CP permission to access the shed?

Please, please do keep feeding her as you have very kindly been doing as she really needs food since she is feeding her babies.
You won't need to keep doing this as, eventually, CP will be able to take her and her babies away.

aurora32
19-Jul-10, 14:57
Stray cat and her 3 kittens found up in the Henderson St/Ormlie area of Thurso. She is grey and white. She is living in my neighbours garden shed, cat protection are unable to catch them as he is away working at the mo and the cannot just go into his shed.

Called the SSPCA and they cannot help as they only deal with sick and injured animals, not stray cats.

Is she anyones cat?? I have been feeding her a little as I feel sorry for her and the little ones but don't want her to depend on me for food either.

What to do???

I thought their policy (SSPCA) was to rescue and rehome Scotland's abandoned, neglected and defenceless animals, surely the above animals fall into at least 2 of the above catergories. Hope someone can help them shortly poor things.

purplelady
19-Jul-10, 22:40
It is a joke the sspca not being able to help poor wee things surely they are in need x

attidude9464
19-Jul-10, 23:25
The SSPCA have over 60 cats and kittens in the Centre and cannot find a space for any more cats or kittens, until some have found new homes. They are past their maximum capacity and just dont have any more cages, space or cattery spaces that they can use.

spaceddaisy
20-Jul-10, 13:19
Thank you to the above poster.

People just assume that there's no limit on the number of animals that Balmore can take in.

As mentioned above they are well over their capacity and simply cannot take in any more cats.

The people who work at Balmore are seriously dedicated to their job. If they are physically able to help then they will, unfortunately in this case it simply isn't possible.

Liz
20-Jul-10, 13:38
I don't think people realise the terrible strain that charities and rehoming centres are under with the huge number of stray and unwanted animals.

I think Caithness should be ashamed of the fact that Balmore and Cats Protection are always full to capacity with stray and unwanted cats.
Also, that our dog warden has to work so hard to find homes for other people's dogs who have been abandoned![evil]

It is time that people started taking responsiblity for their pets and top of the agenda should be neutering!

I do realise that there are exceptions and people have to give up much loved pets for genuine reasons. However, these are in the minority.:(

Bradcon
20-Jul-10, 13:58
Both my female cats were neutered when they were old enough. I feel that it was a responsible thing to do. Both are getting on in years now. I cant believe how many unwanted cats and kittens there are this year. Seems like every time i look there are more kittens free to good homes. Must admit I have thought about another, but not sure that my 2 girls would be too happy.

evo4
20-Jul-10, 14:21
was in balmore at the weekend and they are packed to the rafters they do a great job and they were ran of thier feet when i was in its a shame there are so many unwanted animals there no way possible they could take in more animals unless there were volunteers who would foster these animals untill they had space or found new homes

puffin croft
20-Jul-10, 20:55
would pictures of the cats on the org help re-home some? often people fall in love and can t help themselves!

BalmoreSSPCA
20-Jul-10, 22:57
Yes thats a good idea Puffin Croft and we have been doing that with animals that have been with us for sometime. We havent managed to put more animals on the org yet but have a few of our cats on the SSPCA website - www.scottishspca.org. Alot of the cats and kittens that are with us just now are not on the website as they aren't ready to be rehomed but as soon as they are the website will be updated. :D