PDA

View Full Version : Email or Snail Mail?

Rheghead
19-Jul-10, 06:21
I recently had the option to choose either an electronic newsletter or a postal newsletter for a club that I belong to. Which would be the best in terms of convenience and environment? I know that it will be cheaper for the club to send via email and I am happy with that. The problem is that I will never print it out and I will only read it on the computer but would it create more in terms of carbon emissions to read it on the computer? If I printed it out once then I could refer to it many times without any further cost and I could recycle the paper afterwards.

What would you do in my position?

gleeber
19-Jul-10, 07:37
I would leave the club. :eek:
The club, as an entity and because of it's existance, will, depending on the number of members it has, and no matter how environmentally friendly they are, create it's own carbon footprint, which, if the club didnt exist, the carbon footprint wouldnt exist.
It seems to me that clubs, of all types, whether the Masons or Greenpeace, have a lot to answer for in the environmental destruction of our planet.
I hope that helps in your decision. ;)

scorrie
19-Jul-10, 11:00
I recently had the option to choose either an electronic newsletter or a postal newsletter for a club that I belong to. Which would be the best in terms of convenience and environment? I know that it will be cheaper for the club to send via email and I am happy with that. The problem is that I will never print it out and I will only read it on the computer but would it create more in terms of carbon emissions to read it on the computer? If I printed it out once then I could refer to it many times without any further cost and I could recycle the paper afterwards.

What would you do in my position?

If this is keeping you awake at night, I would seriously suggest the following machine:-

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i237/scorrie57/getalife.jpg ;)

Rheghead
19-Jul-10, 11:23
If this is keeping you awake at night, I would seriously suggest the following machine:-

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i237/scorrie57/getalife.jpg ;)

Just sums up my attitude to your life from where I'm standing.;)

Phill
19-Jul-10, 11:51
It is a very scalable conundrum.

If you look at it in its single form it is hard to quantify which is the more beneficial solution, possibly the posted newsletter may seem slightly greener.

A lot could be defined by how you live / work your life around computers.

My view (based on my circumstances) is that an 'e' newsletter would be far more eco friendly. If it turns out that it is a particularly interesting communication that you feel you would need to pour over it time and time again you could then elect to print out a copy, on recycled paper naturally.