PDA

View Full Version : Shop Closures

Fran
19-Jul-10, 01:26
I have been informed that Mcallans in wick and the Sports shop in wick are both closing later this year, dont know if this is true or not.
Also is it the Halkirk indian restaurant that has taken over the indian takeaway in Bridge Street,wick.

The Flea
19-Jul-10, 09:14
I have been informed that Mcallans in wick and the Sports shop in wick are both closing later this year, dont know if this is true or not.
Also is it the Halkirk indian restaurant that has taken over the indian takeaway in Bridge Street,wick.

Oh heck!!! This place is just going to become a ghost town.

telfordstar
19-Jul-10, 09:29

Im suprised mcallans have lasted so long!

Amy-Winehouse
19-Jul-10, 10:41
Mr Ella who owns the sports shop is retiring, well thats what he told me at the tail end of last year.

Ebay & online ordering will have a lot to do with any clothes shop closing down- more selection & cheaper prices

telfordstar
19-Jul-10, 12:04
Mr Ella who owns the sports shop is retiring, well thats what he told me at the tail end of last year.

Ebay & online ordering will have a lot to do with any clothes shop closing down- more selection & cheaper prices

Must admit thats where i do alot of my shopping now.

Kodiak
19-Jul-10, 15:41

I simply have to buy online as it is the only way I can afford anything. The shops here in Caithness are just too expensive.

Invisible
19-Jul-10, 15:48
I simply have to buy online as it is the only way I can afford anything. The shops here in Caithness are just too expensive.

Totally agree Mr Kodiak, ebay has helped me through many a Christmas

ShelleyCowie
19-Jul-10, 15:50

Your right Kodiak. Went into mackays the other day, £14.50 for a babygrow! I thought it was a typo :eek: got a nice wee t-shirt in the sale for Athrun but thats it. Gosh i miss woolies for the ladybird range!

Not my style of clothes they sell in there for me anyways. So will pass on that..

Then you go to Mcallans where you need a bank loan just to buy a pair of jeans and a top [disgust]

Online it is then! :Razz

LMS
19-Jul-10, 15:58

I quite agree, particularly when it comes to McAllan's. They serve a very niche market - small sized, very fashionable teenagers (early-twenties at the most) who have more money than sense. I always try to shop locally but McAllan's stuff is just far too expensive. Also, not everyone wants clothes plastered in logos. What about Mr or Mrs Average?

Anyway, let's face it, McAllan's historically had a very good slice out of the pay-packet of anyone over 30 in Caithness for many years. Think back to when we didn't have eBay and Next, and Inverness wasn't such an easy or affordable drive away! We were paying £30/£40 for a pair of jeans in the place twenty years ago. They held Caithness to ransom for years. When the customers started to shop elsewhere, did they diversify or adjust to go with the times - no they didn't - they just kept trying to flog over-priced stuff and went into selling chav tat.

Buttresses in Thurso are also slightly expensive but at least they try and keep up with more mainstream fashion. They also accommodate people who aren't stick insects. It is always worth a look.

bettedaviseyes
19-Jul-10, 16:22
i have said for many year Mcallans take the pee out of folk cos it's the only good shop about for clothing not shocked if it closes i mind well back in 90's lol showing my age here :lol: when they where selling techno jakets and they where no cheap then the more store got them in so much cheaper so my mum got me one then the owner from Mcallans went over till the more store complaining about selling the same jackets cheaper i no that cos my mum used till work there the cheek of them!!!

WICKER10
19-Jul-10, 16:40

Having just spoke to the Owner of McAllans Clothes shops he has Confirmed that this is UNTRUE and the shops are NOT to close.
This is Just a Wick Rumour .
It is a pity the person who First Posted this did Not check it out before posting to save Distress and Worry to the staff of the Shops Involved.

Amy-Winehouse
19-Jul-10, 16:58
Oh Fran, you ve done it again [lol] Wait til Hamish gets a had o ye !!!!!

im behind you
19-Jul-10, 18:17
yes fran. cant really see squeezing into a pair of firetrap jeans.

gunnlass
19-Jul-10, 21:13
Have to say Macallans branded clothing is the same price as doon the line unless there's a sale on or it's not the latest stuff then I suppose you can get it on line cheaper sometimes, also Macallans are pretty good they let you take stuff on approval and you can pay it up not many places you get that, interest free too! And no I don't work there, just sticking up for a local shop they' re not all bad.

bagpuss
19-Jul-10, 23:29
If the sports shop is closing- due to the retirement of the owner, no-one will take it on if it hasn't been making money. The Scapa Property chap who had planned to build the retail park next to tesco had had interest from JJB sports- but remember that development was mothballed due to the developers' concerns about the state of the town centre, now if someone could persuade JJB to take over Woolies in Wick square?

and as for the usual rumours- repeat them often enough and they do eventually become truth- sadly

Why are you saying Mackays is expensive?

Can't cheap babygros be had in Tesco or New Look?

2little2late
20-Jul-10, 00:00
The only reason Macallan's are surviving is because veryone buys their clothes on tick.

Duncansby
20-Jul-10, 09:13
Yes, lets run our local businesses down, get a whole load o faceless chain stores to move in and we'll be like every either high street in the country. Marvelous :(

telfordstar
20-Jul-10, 10:07
Yes, lets run our local businesses down, get a whole load o faceless chain stores to move in and we'll be like every either high street in the country. Marvelous :(
Theres not much left to run down tbh, and as for chain stores, not a chance!

Duncansby
20-Jul-10, 10:10
Theres not much left to run down tbh, and as for chain stores, not a chance!

That was kinda my point, sorry perhaps sarcasm doesn't translate well on a message board.

2little2late
20-Jul-10, 11:48

And you can tell us all on here you support your local traders by not shopping at Tesco and all the other big retailers at all.
Unfortunately it is a sign of the times.

Duncansby
20-Jul-10, 12:17
And you can tell us all on here you support your local traders by not shopping at Tesco and all the other big retailers at all.
Unfortunately it is a sign of the times.

Where I can (and choose to) use local traders I do, I can't say I never use larger retailers because that would be a lie. What I don't do is whinge about shops which I would never use in the first place. Obviously enough people do because they are still here!

What is the obsession on here with running down the county? :confused

2little2late
20-Jul-10, 21:21
Where I can (and choose to) use local traders I do, I can't say I never use larger retailers because that would be a lie. What I don't do is whinge about shops which I would never use in the first place. Obviously enough people do because they are still here!

What is the obsession on here with running down the county? :confused

Who is running the county down? I know it is hard for the small retailer, but let's face it we have been getting ripped off for many years. I have been here for 12 and a half years. Where I come from a sack of tatties would cost about £1.50 then, imagine my disbelief when I went into a butcher and asked how much the sack of tatties were and was told they were £6.50. 12 years ago that was extortionate. Although, having said that supermarkets are no cheaper for tatties now. Until the council drops it rates/rent, unfortunately not many new businesses are going to want to come to Caithness. So don't always blame Tesco.

pentlander
20-Jul-10, 21:55
Who is running the county down? I know it is hard for the small retailer, but let's face it we have been getting ripped off for many years. I have been here for 12 and a half years. Where I come from a sack of tatties would cost about £1.50 then, imagine my disbelief when I went into a butcher and asked how much the sack of tatties were and was told they were £6.50. 12 years ago that was extortionate. Although, having said that supermarkets are no cheaper for tatties now. Until the council drops it rates/rent, unfortunately not many new businesses are going to want to come to Caithness. So don't always blame Tesco.
£1.50 for a sack of tatties. Where you from Estonia? Even 12 years ago that is pure nonsense.

Duncansby
20-Jul-10, 22:10
£1.50 for a sack of tatties. Where you from Estonia? Even 12 years ago that is pure nonsense.

lol was just thinking something similar!

2little2late
20-Jul-10, 22:36

'fraid not mate. That is the truth.

pentlander
20-Jul-10, 22:48
'fraid not mate. That is the truth.

6 pence per kilo sure you weren't making potcheen out of them.

from the grocer mag 1999

'Prices of new potatoes have been rising steadily in The Grocer 33 weekly shop since November and are now 39p to 49p/lb.'

http://www.thegrocer.co.uk/articles.aspx?page=articles&ID=48015

You actually got a bargain at £6.50

bagpuss
20-Jul-10, 22:52
Was 2little2late a potato roguer in Angus by any chance?

bagpuss
20-Jul-10, 22:56
potatoes can be had more cheaply if you pick them yourself

scorrie
20-Jul-10, 23:32
potatoes can be had more cheaply if you nick them yourself

Correction made ;)

pentlander
20-Jul-10, 23:33
You couldn't nick them for 6p a kilo.