PDA

View Full Version : Are you a child of the Eighties ??

Nello
29-Jun-06, 18:59
You were a true child of the eighties if...

You remember "Now" compilations that had the pig on the front cover.

You never questioned why the A-Team was always imprisoned in places that had sufficient tools to build an armoured tank.

Dungeons & Dragons was your favourite cartoon

Your lunch times were spent perfecting swan dives and backspins.

You've ever said "bright light, bright light" in a strange high-pitched voice.

You know the theme tune and the names of all the actors and characters in Dallas & Dynasty.

You ever wished your hair/clothes/lifestyle resembled the above (or they actually did!)

You fell out with friends during heated arguments about the relative merits of Matt & Luke.

You owned, or wanted a "Frankie says..." T-shirt.

You have ever danced (or even worse cried) to Kylie & Jason.

Cerise pink, electric blue and banana yellow have ever featured in your wardrobe or make-up collection.

You ever did the top toggle of your coat up around your neck without having your arms in the sleeves, and knew you looked like a super-hero.

You remember when the AHA video was the pinnacle of modern technology,and you can still sing all the words.

Parachuting Action man was your favourite toy.

(Girls) Your best party dress was either a ra-ra or puff-ball skirt.

(Boys) You ever owned a thin, black leather tie (and were proud of it), or worse it was patterned like a piano!

You wondered why a popular kids TV programme told you to "Turn off your TV set and go and do something less boring instead".

You wanted to be either Nancy Drew or the Hardy Boys.

http://www.worldofkitsch.com/features/articles/images/20031128spacehopper.gifYou have ever po-goed or space-hopped.

You remember when Keith Chegwin & Maggie Philbin were the hottest romantic couple... And when Keith was associated with Cheggers Plays Pop rather than Cheggers Drinks Alcopops.

You wondered why your walkie-talkie didn't have the same range as those in the Red Hand Gang.

You were shocked by the controversial plot lines in Degrassi Junior High.

You remember watching a house inhabited by a jester, a pantomime horse, and a woman who sneezed, and thinking that this was perfectly normal.

You know who Joey Deacon was.

You thought ABBA were cool, the first time round.

You tried to convince your Dad to fit a strip of red lights on the front of his Capri so it looked like KITT.

"Ca-vey Wa-vey!" means anything to you.

You've ever had more than 10 sweets in a 10p mix-up.

Not only did you wear luminous clothing, but they were mismatched finger-less gloves and towelling socks.

When Yoda said "There is another Skywalker"... you wished he was talking about you.

Wearing your hair like buns on the sides of your head seemed like a good fashion statement.

You remember when Betamax was at the cutting edge of technology.

You hid behind the sofa whenever you heard the word Exterminate.

Vimto or Dandelion & Burdoch ever featured in your diet.

http://www.worldofkitsch.com/features/articles/images/20031128pacman.gif (http://www.worldofkitsch.com/interactive/games/pacman.html)You were really pleased when Pacman got a girlfriend.

You grew up believing that filing cabinets and telephone boxes possessed magical powers of transformation.

After ET, you wanted a Speak & Spell even though you were top of your class.

You remember when PC had one meaning, rather than three.

(Girls) You owned a pair of Pixie Boots, generally worn with leg warmers!

(Boys) You owned a pair of pale grey slip-ons, generally worn with white toweling socks!

Shiny grey flecked suits.

You grew up in Trumpton, Chigley or Camblewick Green.

You've rolled the sleeves of your suit jacket up.

Ooh, you could crush a Grape!

You've ever held a chicken in the air, or stuck a deckchair up your nose.

You went to school with Pogo Patterson, Gripper Stebson, and Ro-land.

Long scarves, K9, and a time-travelling police box ring any bells.

Giant Haystacks and Big Daddy have ever featured on your Saturday afternoon.

You wore legwarmers, tried to do the splits while jumping in the air, while singing you were going to live forever.

Finger mouse.

You were proud of your picture appearing in the Gallery, just before watching a lump of plasticine who couldn't speak English.

You fantasised about those girls from that Robert Palmer video.

You know all the words to Hey Mickey (well nobody knows past the first verse anyway.)

You remember Look In magazine, and when it was only 20p.

You can remember what Quatro tasted like.

Your best mate had a soda stream at home and you were jealous.

gee
29-Jun-06, 19:11
cringing reading that, good giggle as well

do you remember these "top" bands and singers

wham
duran duran
aha
adam and the ants
jam
madness
bad manners
toyah
spandau ballet
king
queen
prince
morrisey

these are just a few that come to mind

ooohhhh cringe worthy

taylor.4
29-Jun-06, 19:13
Wow!!! That bought back alot of memories, but very interesting to read, was laughing at most of it. Good one. :lol:

golach
29-Jun-06, 19:35

(Boys) You ever owned a thin, black leather tie (and were proud of it),
Thin ties as above, where worn by all well dressed Mods along with our Italian suits, with 16 inch pegged trousers with vents and no turnups, short lapeled jackets, three cloth covered buttons, button down collared shirts, AND wait for it " Winkle Picker boots with Cuban heels" and that was circa 1960, you 80's children did not know the half of it

obiron
29-Jun-06, 19:37
its terrible how so much of that list is familiar.
the a-team was compulsive viewing along wi the dukes of hazzard, starskey and hutch, the professionals, the equalizer, miami vice. not forgetting metal mickey, he man, ghostbusters, dirty dancing, la bamba and the lost boys.

Nello
29-Jun-06, 19:40
Forgot to mention that you would also remember that Michael Jackson wasnt always white .. :roll:

Anyone remember that Snickers was once called Marathon ??

Those pink WHAM bars that could remove teeth ??

Spangles and Texan Bars ??

When Blonde Hair Streaks were all the fashion ??

When the order of bicycles went .. Boxer .. Strika .. Grifter .. Chopper.

Thundercats (Thundercats Ho !!!!) and He-Man (By the Power of Grayskull) ??

When Flares came back into fashion ??

Gotta stop now .. feeling so old !!

Ricco
29-Jun-06, 20:10
Snakeskin print trousers, kaftan top, thin leather thong tie (round the neck, ladies!), Jesus sandals, side burns, snakeskin friendship band (not a nasty rubber thing!) and flowers - millions of them! Great days!:D

porshiepoo
29-Jun-06, 22:21
O.M.G ..... Rentaghost! Is it sad that I actually remember the name??? Worse still, I can still hum the tune.
Eek.. I believe the other programme was 'Why don't you'! Not only did it tell you to turn over and watch something less boring but also instructed you to go, go go. lol.

As for Matt & Luke, God I was the ultimate Brosette! I remember the day that my now husband (Then boyfriend) gently told me that maybe I had outgrown them and I burned all my piccies, letters etc on the bonfire 5th November. :~(

And wasn't Dr Who soooooooo scary. It's blinking laughable now! Hubby says the cybermen were the scariest but I'm afraid it was the daleks who had me peeking from behind my hand or a cushion.

What about Knight Rider! Streethawk (The man, the machine, streethawk) or Airwolf. Yep I loved em all! Even had a crush on Hannibal in the A team at one point. Yuk!

Blakes 7 - How cool was that!
Then there was Captaaaainnn cavvveeeee maaaaaaaaaaan.

Back to the future and MJF.
Star wars.
Black Beauty.
Little House on the prarie.
Mars Bars at 12p.
1/2 penny sweets.
50pence pocket money meant being loaded.
Bright pink or bright yellow shoes.
Polyvelts.
Hair that looked as though you'd had a finger in the electric socket.

candyfloss
29-Jun-06, 22:54
Remember soooo... many of those things:eek: i used to have a blue space hooper and i thought it was great, loved Metal Mickey he was really cute, i was a big fan of Duran Duran and had posters all over my bedroom my favourite was John Tayor. Now i feel really old, must go and get my drinking chocolate and go to bed:(

taylor.4
29-Jun-06, 22:55
How about saturday mornings Swap Shop! Trying to swap your toys you got for either your birthday or christmas for something better!:lol:

taylor.4
29-Jun-06, 22:59
Remember soooo... many of those things:eek: i used to have a blue space hooper and i thought it was great, loved Metal Mickey he was really cute, i was a big fan of Duran Duran and had posters all over my bedroom my favourite was John Tayor. Now i feel really old, must go and get my drinking chocolate and go to bed:(My favourite was John taylor too. Always said if my first kid was a boy i'd call him after my hero. Well i married a Taylor and my first born is called John, How weird is that.

pink
29-Jun-06, 23:05
When the order of bicycles went .. Boxer .. Strika .. Grifter .. Chopper.

O.M.G A strika was my first bike hahaha it was green!!

Bingobabe
29-Jun-06, 23:07
How about saturday mornings Swap Shop! Trying to swap your toys you got for either your birthday or christmas for something better!:lol:I remember doing something like that hahahahahahah[lol]

taylor.4
29-Jun-06, 23:09
I remember doing something like that hahahahahahah[lol]I remember my dad nearly catching me on the phone trying to swap stuff! He'd laugh about it now, but probarbly not at the time.:lol: