PDA

View Full Version : Tattie probs

porshiepoo
18-Jul-10, 07:48
Is it too early for Potato blight?

I've never had a problem with it before so don't really know what to look for and I'm kinda thinking my problem is more to do with a mould but could it be blight?

It's mainly the younger plants that aren't in flower that are suffering. The stems seems to have gone soft and rotten looking all over the from top to bottom in various different places and there is what looks like Botrytis mould on some of the leaves.
I'm assuming all the rain and the warm conditions has caused it despite the fact that wind has kept them well ventilated.

I've cut them right back and they seem to be shooting back up and then any odd mouldy leaf I find I cut out.

Does this sound like Blight or just Botrytis????

porshiepoo
18-Jul-10, 07:58
No probs. I've just found the answer. lol.

It's ruddy blight!!!! Hopefully I've stopped it going any further but I'll be keeping a close eye on the plants and I think I'll lift a few and see if it's damaged the tubers.

Funnily enough the plants that are affected are the ones that I didn't get around to earthing up.

Have to make sure of Blight resistant varieties next year. The King Edward are the ones still blight free and the Maris Piper are the ones infected - should have done my research before planting the Maris Piper.

Dadie
18-Jul-10, 18:53
Dont put the leaves on the compost heap.
Burn them or put them in the bin!

Hogfather
19-Jul-10, 17:04
Aaarrgghhh!!!! Will have to rush out with my Bordeaux mixture!!!! Had to chop the maris pipers down at the end of July last year, don't want to lose them again this year!!!!! Hate blighty weather[evil]

porshiepoo
20-Jul-10, 09:18
This is the first time I've ever had the problem. Definitely won't be planting Maris Pipers again.

I have the King Edward in the same and although I know they're blight resistant as such I figured they'd succumb simply from the contact but so far nothing.
I think I'll have to start lifting them soon though just to make sure.

Ricco
23-Jul-10, 20:24
Porshie,

If you catch it early 'nuf you can simply cut the tops off at ground level trying to avoid spores landing on the ground. Might be an idea to spread newspaper on the soil around the stems. Then burn the lot - thoroughly! The spuds may well be OK as long as you keep the spores off them.

I stopped growing tomatoes for the same reason. Touch wood - no problems with the spuds.