PDA

View Full Version : Youth today

pultneytooner
29-Jun-06, 13:34
When the good news came there were many among the respectable majority who breathed a deep sigh of relief. It was not before time. The town has fallen into a swamp of moral apathy. Drunkenness was rife and it was no longer unusual to find the Sunday morning promenades littered with delinquent young men, most of them well under the influence, swearing, blaspheming, jeering at honest folk and generally scandalising decent society. Parties out strolling along the Esplanade had been insulted by gangs of idlers, whose boisterous carry-ons disgraced a civilised country. Sabbath afternoons were little better. Boys had been seen trespassing on the gasworks site, throwing stones and swinging on a yard crane there in defiance of the Lord’s Day ordinances.
It wasn't like that in your day, kids nowadays, no respect for anybody or anything, they invented bad behavour.
Well the above quote is dated 1876 when the Prince and Princess of Wales of the time were due to visit Thurso, seems like young people today haven't got the patent on bad behavour after all.;)

Yvonne
29-Jun-06, 19:08
I do think conscience has a large bearing on good or bad behaviour. A well developed conscience will in turn produce respectful behaviour, but individuals with little or no conscience do not really care about their negative behaviour on themselves or others.I do agree loutish behaviour is not a sign of the times, but it is more common these days and steadily getting worse! :(

Loafer
29-Jun-06, 19:24
It wasn't like that in your day, kids nowadays, no respect for anybody or anything, they invented bad behavour.
Well the above quote is dated 1876 when the Prince and Princess of Wales of the time were due to visit Thurso, seems like young people today haven't got the patent on bad behavour after all.;)

Aye, mibbees, but I bet the wee beggers got the birch for their troubles!!

The Loafer