PDA

View Full Version : caithness historians???

weegie
15-Jul-10, 19:23
are there any serious local(or otherwise) historians in the caithness area???

gollach
15-Jul-10, 19:25
There are some at Thurso Heritage Society.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Thurso-Heritage-Society/377535305216?ref=ts

Duncansby
15-Jul-10, 20:01
Ian Sutherland is a name that springs imediately to mind. Have you been to the Wick Heritage Centre? If not it's well worth a look.

Thumper
15-Jul-10, 20:33
Isnt Thirsaloon on here a very good historian? x

bagpuss
16-Jul-10, 00:49
Ian is brilliant- if its something immediately local you need to find out ,try Joan Henderson at the heritage centre in Wick.

Val Hewison of THS is really good on the history of Dounreay- her pupils wrote the book on it.

Sage
16-Jul-10, 11:58
There are quite a few :D
Thirsaloon knows everything there is to know about Thurso
Ian Sutherland really knows his stuff
There's Thurso Heritage, Mary Anne's Cottage volunteers, Caithness Family History Society.

There are others I havent mentioned here. It depends what sort of historian you're looking for.

trinkie
16-Jul-10, 13:06
Although I know you are all trying to be helpful, I think names etc should be passed on by Private Mail, as the people named are busy folk who wish to remain Private.

Good luck
Trinkie

achingale
16-Jul-10, 16:37
Weegie, what are you wanting a historian for? Just curious. :)

sandyr1
16-Jul-10, 16:57
Although I know you are all trying to be helpful, I think names etc should be passed on by Private Mail, as the people named are busy folk who wish to remain Private.

Good luck
Trinkie

Gosh, Caithness.org itself has labelled Ian Sutherland as one of the best Historians etc. Even the Scotsman calls him that, and Thursaloon has also been mentioned on here...Unless you have a personal connection....... I didn't think it was a secret!

Moira
17-Jul-10, 22:00
Trinkie has a valid point here. Not all of our dedicated local historians would wish to be named on this thread. They just beaver away in the background and get the job done. Private Message is the answer. :)

ginger
18-Jul-10, 16:51
i have to agree with moira and trinkie, some things should be kept private.i am merely a guide at the heritage centre, nothing more nothing less, dont know how bagpuss thought otherwise ? regards joan henderson

Rheghead
18-Jul-10, 22:48
I've read some 'historical research' of a particularly prominent 'local historian' and it was just pure fantasy in order to bolster his legacy and that of his father who had a very minor role and there is some doubt he actually did. It was total self promotion instead of historical accuracy.

Green_not_greed
18-Jul-10, 22:57
Ian Sutherland certainly the man to speak to for the Wick side.

There are many who've contributed to the Thurso side over the years but Colin Punler has probably got one of the best grasps on Thurso history from about 1900.