PDA

View Full Version : "Postcode" google

Rheghead
29-Jun-06, 00:14
Has anyone tried to Google their postcode in "exclamation marks"? It's a good way of checking up on yer neighbours!;)

I just found out that my neighbour has had an extension approved.:)

dirdyweeker
29-Jun-06, 00:26
mine just revealed a list of guest houses! One near me which I already knew about.

Nello
29-Jun-06, 00:58
While youre there type in Miserable Failure and click Search the Web .. spot the first name that comes up !! .. well it might not be that much of a shock.

dirdyweeker
29-Jun-06, 01:17
yes....done that one before. Found it interesting though that such a name would appear under that heading.

George Brims
29-Jun-06, 01:46
The explanation is here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3298443.stm

This is called Google Bombing, and it is a fad that has apparently not yet passed!

I can't remember the name of the Google game where you enter a word or phrase and get *exactly* one result.

Niall Fernie
29-Jun-06, 10:31
I can't remember the name of the Google game where you enter a word or phrase and get *exactly* one result.

Googlewhacking :)

I've just started the book by Dave Gorman "Googlewhack Adventure", funny so far :)

DrSzin
29-Jun-06, 10:57
I've just Googled my postcode and one of the sites I found is CheckmyArea Postcode Search (http://www.checkmyarea.com/neighbourhood/htmpostcode.html). I entered my postcode and roughly half the description of the area and its inhabitants is inaccurate. Is this typical?

I had a bash at Googlewhacking a year or two ago. It was much easier than I expected and it only took me a few minutes to obtain a single hit.

katarina
29-Jun-06, 10:57
Living in detached houses, employed in agriculture. High users of mail order and frequent supporters of charities

UUMMM. Don't know any of my neighbours who work in agriculture. I don't use mail order although I do support charities.

Elenna
29-Jun-06, 11:07
I just had a go, and the results that came up were mostly for our business and one further down the street. I didn't know we were listed on a lot of these places, so I think I will need to check them all and see if they have our details correct....

I think just for that it was a pretty good idea to try!

DrSzin
29-Jun-06, 11:10
In my area:

... the industry sector is defined as consisting of primary industry, for example agriculture, fishing, mining and forestry, manufacturing, for example brewing, steel, petrol and car manufacture, ...

Agriculture, fishing, mining, forestry, steel, petrol and car manufacture in the middle of Edinburgh? Yeah right! :roll:

The typical property price is average

It's one of the more expensive parts of town. A flat at the back of my house is on sale at offers over £260,000.

The people living here are in general qualified to an average level

So an area containing several people with doctorates and where most of the rest have degrees is average? :roll:

crystal
29-Jun-06, 11:52
i got the same respose as elenna but it is a good thing to try out:D

Rheghead
29-Jun-06, 12:05
I've just Googled my postcode and one of the sites I found is CheckmyArea Postcode Search (http://www.checkmyarea.com/neighbourhood/htmpostcode.html). I entered my postcode and roughly half the description of the area and its inhabitants is inaccurate. Is this typical?

There is an email address to readdress the innaccuracies if you so desire.:roll:

changilass
29-Jun-06, 12:21
This is all I got back on my postcode: Find People Free.co.uk - Find People on the ectoral roll in Thurso ... (http://www.findpeoplefree.co.uk/m.aspx?c=Thurso)[disgust]

dragonfly
29-Jun-06, 12:23
I too looked at the check my area website and what a load of rubbish!

it said...

The people living here are in general qualified to a very low level and the typical employment type is classified as blue collar, semi and unskilled or long term unemployed. Unemployment stands at 55% higher than the national average, and the industry sector is defined as consisting of manufacturing, for example brewing, steel, petrol and car manufacture or the service industry, for example tourism, retail, transport/distribution and catering.

though maybe looking at some of my neighbours that may be true! :)

DrSzin
29-Jun-06, 13:15
There is an email address to readdress the innaccuracies if you so desire.:roll:Yeah, I noticed that. But I didn't think they'd pay me enough for putting them right so I didn't bite.

Rheghead
29-Jun-06, 14:38
I too looked at the check my area website and what a load of rubbish!

it said...

The people living here are in general qualified to a very low level and the typical employment type is classified as blue collar, semi and unskilled or long term unemployed. Unemployment stands at 55% higher than the national average, and the industry sector is defined as consisting of manufacturing, for example brewing, steel, petrol and car manufacture or the service industry, for example tourism, retail, transport/distribution and catering.

though maybe looking at some of my neighbours that may be true! :)

Do you live in Wick?

scorrie
29-Jun-06, 15:44
Has anyone tried to Google their postcode in "exclamation marks"? It's a good way of checking up on yer neighbours!;)

I just found out that my neighbour has had an extension approved.:)

Just bug their house instead, it's a lot more interesting and informative.

ps How many inches is he getting put on? ;o)

KitKat
29-Jun-06, 17:41
er, I think I did something wrong..... all I got was a page about SCABIES in Dutch!!

crystal
29-Jun-06, 17:42
teehee:lol: scabies lol

dragonfly
29-Jun-06, 18:45
Do you live in Wick?

No, the atomics in Thurso! :confused

George Brims
29-Jun-06, 20:02
I put in my zip code and all I got was details of all the people who have got fed up living near me and are selling their hooses.

2little2late
29-Jun-06, 22:55
Put in my previous post code and got a list of planning applications.
One is for a viewing platform and access ramp at Wick river, Southwest of Westerseat farm. The applicant is Wick Community Council c/o the one and only GRAEME SMITH. Perhaps we should all write letters of objection to the planning commitee. Maybe that would show Mr. Smith we mean business. After all he did have the casting vote for the refusal of Asda. [lol] [lol].

Rheghead
29-Jun-06, 23:09
2little, what a wonderful idea! ;)