PDA

View Full Version : drastic council cut-backs

Fran
28-Jun-06, 23:17
Apparently, due to lack of funds, the council are proposing to uplift wheelie bins once a fortnight instead of weekly. The pavement sweeper is to alternate between wick and thurso, instead of each town having their own.
Also bad news for the elderly and disabled people who have their grass cut by the council as this service is to cease.
Can things get any worse?:mad:

Tattie B
28-Jun-06, 23:27
theres enough rubbish lying about without them just lifting the bins once a fortnight .

willowbankbear
28-Jun-06, 23:28
aye, they just might not lift wur wheelie bins at all:eek: Is this true Fran? coz its absolutely shocking if it is,the mess will be bad as big families fill their bins every week with extra bags usually beside the bin.
So how much garbage if its every 2 weeks? the mind boggles. The skorries will have a field day going in wur rubbish bags, I just hope its not true

connieb19
28-Jun-06, 23:30
Maybe it's to encourage us to recycle more. :confused

Foxy
28-Jun-06, 23:30
What do the council do with all the council tax we pay them. I get my wheelie bin lifted once a week, I don't have a street light outside my house as I live in the country, our road needs resurfaced but the council said it would go on the list but it would probably not happen for about 3 years and on Wednesday I was informed that the school my son attends will no longer be entitled to a music or PE teacher who came in once a week to teach them.

willowbankbear
28-Jun-06, 23:31
I dina mind cycling[lol] [lol]

Fran
28-Jun-06, 23:32
Maybe it's to encourage us to recycle more. :confused

how can we recycle when the "blue boxes" will be too full to put any more papers into, and we will then have to start filling black bags again.....which the scorries and rats will love. i think it will cause more work for the council, not less.

MadPict
28-Jun-06, 23:33
Fortnightly collection is the norm down here. One week its the green compostable material bin, the next the household rubbish. Every second week we also get our recyclable bin emptied.
Not sure how many bins you have lined up outside your home?

You could make the pavement manny redundant by using the litter bins...:D

And whatever happened to neighbourliness and cutting the old folks grass for them?

willowbankbear
28-Jun-06, 23:34
how can we recycle when the "blue boxes" will be too full to put any more papers into, and we will then have to start filling black bags again.....which the scorries and rats will love. i think it will cause more work for the council, not less.

Thats my sentiments exactly, its quite unfortunate news fran

changilass
28-Jun-06, 23:37

Think yourself luck, we only have the one wheelie bin in Castletown. It is gonna stink, especially in nice weather. Yeeeuuuuukkkkk

connieb19
28-Jun-06, 23:37
how can we recycle when the "blue boxes" will be too full to put any more papers into, and we will then have to start filling black bags again.....which the scorries and rats will love. i think it will cause more work for the council, not less.Your blue bin only gets picked up once a fortnight anyway and I'm pretty sure most of us could recycle a lot more..:roll:

Foxy
28-Jun-06, 23:40
We don't have the recycling boxes but surely the people in town can take there boxes and empty them in the paper skip which is located at the supermarket.

lassieinfife
28-Jun-06, 23:40
Here in Glenrothes we have different bins for different items.....blue bin ..all wastepaper cardboard etc,that is lifted every 2 weeks, brown bin is for all garden items, though not veg waste from kitchen, that is lifted every 2 weeks,and lastly big Grey bin emptied every 2 weeks,we are sorting the rubbish for the council, but I must admit the system seems to be working fine, maybe that is what they have planned for Caithness

Oh and they gave us labels to stick on bins to remind us what bin goes out which week

Cedric Farthsbottom III
28-Jun-06, 23:41
Your blue bin only gets picked up once a fortnight anyway and I'm pretty sure most of us could recycle a lot more..:roll:

No wit it is oor Connie,they want us to become artistic and go paper mache crazy.I could make ye aw a rare Nessie!!!!:lol:

dirdyweeker
29-Jun-06, 00:06
Here in Glenrothes we have different bins for different items.....blue bin ..all wastepaper cardboard etc,that is lifted every 2 weeks, brown bin is for all garden items, though not veg waste from kitchen, that is lifted every 2 weeks,and lastly big Grey bin emptied every 2 weeks,we are sorting the rubbish for the council, but I must admit the system seems to be working fine, maybe that is what they have planned for Caithness

Oh and they gave us labels to stick on bins to remind us what bin goes out which week
we (in Wick) have the same colours for the same waste but our grey bin is collected every week and the other 2 alternate weeks. I would like to see plastic being recycled in Wick. I have a lot of empty milk carton bottles which mainly fill my bin.

MadPict
29-Jun-06, 00:20
I had heard that the plastic bottles etc which are recycled are actually shipped to China.

Where they are burnt....

dirdyweeker
29-Jun-06, 00:24
I had heard that the plastic bottles etc which are recycled are actually shipped to China.

Where they are burnt....
Why all the way to China just to be burnt?? We could maybe send them to the Gala night bonfire then!

clash67
29-Jun-06, 00:44
this is a terrible state of afairs, having rubbish laying around espescialy in hot weather like today will stink up the place and will attract rats and other vermin, they won't be happy until we are living like they did in victorian times, the council has already put a serious strain on the incomes of the average family so where is all this money going, they seem to have a problem getting that into their thick heads.
Why are we paying £6 more in council tax than the national average, yet we seem to be living in second rate conditions compared to eveywhere else?
I am continualy sickened by the way we are being treated up here, I have had a few dealings with the local council and I get the feeling that they realy could't care, oh certainly they nod and agree and empathise.."yes I know you are so right, isn't it terrible however our hands are tied, there is no room in the budget " or " yes I know the bill outways the service but it's like that for everyone " meanwhile the average family struggles to keep the wolf from the door as they have days out in Inverness, holidays abroad, new cars, own their own houses,SWEDISH HOT TUBS!!!
a cut in services is simply unexceptable.
Surely this is going to have to come to an end , they are clearly in over their head, its about time some resignations were forth coming.
How much longer are we expected see our money being used to revamp Inverness while Caithness struggles like this.
I run a small business (which the council seems to want to bleed to death) but I can't expect to get payed if I provide a poor sevice so why should they?
I currently pay £25 pounds a week roughly in council tax, all I realy see for my money is that my bins get emptied once a week, now they are apparently saying that they will be emptied evey two weeks and I still get charged £25 a week!
I challenged Tom jackson about this and he told me that the tax we pay goes towards things like the upkeep of the swimming pool and the tennis courts! Firstly has anybody seen the entrance prices for the swimming pool! and as for the tennis courts well its like stepping back to the fifties, if we are being charged for these things through local taxes AND being charged entry fees then we are being charged twice for the use of these amenities, I say if they can't sustain themselves then we should get rid of them and replace them with amenities that will sustain themselves.
If for example if the tennis courts doesn't raise enough funds though public use to stay open then lets stop throwing money at it as it is clearly not popular enough, instead use the space for something that would be self sustaining like an open market perhaps, any other establishment that wasn't creating enough income would and indeed have gone to the wall.
The swing parks for children are a joke, they haven't improved since Bill Hailey was still rockin' around the clock! they still have that bare, dreary, bland boring look about them, but the council think that we are a simple people that are easily pleased and we are still living 30 years behind the rest of the country.

willowbankbear
29-Jun-06, 00:51
Great post Clash67, theres a lot of stuff I agree with there mate,especially the wee bit about the kiddies parks, in Wick the parks are miles behind what the folk in Thurso have & then Watten & all the wee places are behind Wick so yer right, they try to pull the wool over our eyes all the time