PDA

View Full Version : Faux silk

porshiepoo
14-Jul-10, 21:24
This may sound like a silly question but I'm hoping someone can answer it anyway.

Is Faux silk bedding slippy????
There's a bedding range I want from the tinternet called 'Rosina' and as well as being my middle name it's made up of lovely deep plums and creams.
Thing is I don't want to buy the entire range if it's the sort of thing I'm going to be fetching off the floor every night cos it slips off the bed. :eek:

Like I said, may sound like a silly question but hopefully someone knows.
Here's a link to the bedding in question so that anyone who knows their material might take a looksee and let me know.

http://www.yorkshirelinen.com/product-details/2/13/737

cheers

Dadie
14-Jul-10, 21:31
Is the whole duvet cover faux silk?
Or does it have a cotton side?...i.e. just the topside you look at in the silk?
If it has a cotton side ...it should be ok!

porshiepoo
14-Jul-10, 21:46
This is a description from Ebay:
Means nought to me though

Material: Front 100% polyester faux silk with 100% polyester taffeta top cuff.
Reverse 50% cotton 50% polyester

George Brims
14-Jul-10, 21:51
First you said:

Is Faux silk bedding slippy???

And then:

Thing is I don't want to buy the entire range if it's the sort of thing I'm going to be fetching off the floor every night cos it slips off the bed. :eek:

To be honest the second question surprised me. I was thinking more along the lines of you ending up on the floor if it was too slippy.

Dadie
14-Jul-10, 22:00
Shouldnt be slippy then!
The polycotton side will be next to you so you wont actually have the silk side next to you....its just a posh front to the duvet cover!
Iff you get the throw and want to use it as an extra layer, it, may slip off though.... I have one and it doesnt get a chance as I hog/hug/wont let go of it :lol:

Angela
14-Jul-10, 22:06
Hi Porshie,

I have a duvet set which looks similar and is made as you describe - the top of the duvet cover and the tops of the pillowcases are 100% polyester with a silky look (I know, 'faux silk' does sound nicer! :lol:), the undersides are 50% polyester, 50% cotton.

The duvet doesn't slide onto the floor, but I don't really like the feel of the cover - I like to snuggle up with it round my neck ;) and it feels slippery and synthetic (which it is of course) and not cosy at all. I can't sleep on the pillows for the same reason, so just have them for decoration and take them off the bed at night.

My cat likes the fabric a lot and especially enjoys clawing it :roll:......overall not one of my best buys........!

Tubthumper
14-Jul-10, 22:10
I have this vision in my mind
Not kinky though, the funny kind
Of Porshiepoo prepared for bed
In negligee all clad
And as she minces through the door
And pouts across the bedroom floor
Prepared for hug it must be said
(And here it gets quite baaaaaadddd....)

Porshie jumped onto the bed
Prepared for lusty rumble
But skidded cross the sheets instead
And took a nasty tumble

She landed with a force that stuns
And lay there with her firm wee buns
A-pointing at the sky and quite
Immobilised by error
A witness took a dodgy track
And asked her 'Porshie, what's the crack?'
And as she rose quite pale and white
They ran away in terror

Porshie jumped onto the bed
It was all made up neat
But faux-silk offers little grip
She shouted out 'Oh Sheet!'

So strange the way that romance turns
Poor Porshie now has carpet burns
Her negligee is ripped and torn
And romance off her mind
And now she's thinking safety first
In case she once again gets burst
In bed a belt gets always worn
And not suspender kind

Porshie takes more care these days
As she climbs on the bed
With ropes and crampons she's decked out
A helmet on her head

Kodiak
14-Jul-10, 22:11
Just a suggestion........Why do you not ask the company......here is a link to their query form, just fill it is and ask and I am sure they will be able to answer your question :-

http://www.yorkshirelinen.com/got-a-question.html

Dadie
14-Jul-10, 22:13
I just turn the pillows over on my bedset as I cannot sleep on the shiny side as they have little beaded bits on them, which, leave an interesting pattern on my face.... not a good look in the morning:lol:
My just out of bed look is bad enough!
But my girls love the feel of the shiny side of the duvet cover and if they end up in our bed will rub it between their finger and thumb as they doze off...Euan is starting to do the same!

porshiepoo
15-Jul-10, 09:33
Tubthumper: "minces"???? "MINCES"???? :lol: Haven't a clue what mincing through the door would look like but it don't sound exactly sexy. lol.
However the term "firm wee buns" has more than made up for it. How fickle am I! lol.

Angela: I hadn't thought about the feeling of the silky side when trying to sleep on it. Can't say as the thought appeals to me either.

Kodiak: I'm always dubious that these places will give an honest description so I always prefer to get an opinion from Joe public.

George Brims: Tubthumpers little ditty does give me a take on it that I'd not thought about. lol. I never thought it would be me falling off the duvet rather than the duvet falling off the bed. Have to say I don't fancy carpet burns or buns in the air - no matter how firm or wee. lol.

Dadie: Hadn't thought about the beads causing interesting patterns either. I now have visions of all kinds of eye injuries being caused by the pillows. lol.

Thanks for all the replies and help guys however I'm thinking I may have to re-think the entire bedding situation. Shame cos I really like that bedding set.

ashaw1
15-Jul-10, 21:31
Saw some Faux Silk curtains today in Homebase and they are very similar to Raw Silk. They are almost like a thick cotton appearance, can't see you having any problems.

wicker8
15-Jul-10, 21:42
i have a faux silk bed set ,only the top as said before is silky he under is cotton ,really nice

bagpuss
16-Jul-10, 00:46
Faux silk is essentially polyester- and duvet sets are usually poly/cotton 50/50 on the reverse (ie the side you sleep on)

Your fitted sheet and under pillows will be either polycotton or cotton- that won't slip.

A good idea is to have the fancy pillowcases on pillows used for 'show' and have at least one pillow under that.

another option is to go for the comforter quilt option-and take that off at bdtime-have an ordinary duvet set that you sleep in.

Do watch out for pets trying to get on the bed- paws and claws play havoc with embroidery. And given you are buying off the internet, be careful with washing instructions- internet sellers don't refund if you wash things at the wrong temperature and the colour runs.

Vistravi
16-Jul-10, 18:15
This is a description from Ebay:
Means nought to me though

Material: Front 100% polyester faux silk with 100% polyester taffeta top cuff.
Reverse 50% cotton 50% polyester

Its not slippy. Just the top will be. If you buy it you'll have no loss of the covers ;)

Vistravi
16-Jul-10, 18:17
I just turn the pillows over on my bedset as I cannot sleep on the shiny side as they have little beaded bits on them, which, leave an interesting pattern on my face.... not a good look in the morning:lol:
My just out of bed look is bad enough!
But my girls love the feel of the shiny side of the duvet cover and if they end up in our bed will rub it between their finger and thumb as they doze off...Euan is starting to do the same!

My brother is like that with silk. My son is like that when it comes to my fleecy dressing gown ;)