PDA

View Full Version : Caithness man receives MBE

Happy Guy
14-Jul-10, 11:37
Pat Kieran, of Reay went to London to Recieve his MBE from Her Majesty the Queen. The award was for his work promoting science, especially to young people. Pat is the Chairman of The Caithness Branch of The British Science Association, Chairman Melvich Gaelic Choir and Secretary of The Caithness Astronomy Group. His comment after was - "We had a GREAT day!"
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4119/4792475689_6bafdab9be.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4139/4792476563_a6288e5c86.jpg

Well done Pat, much deserved!

The Pepsi Challenge
14-Jul-10, 11:38
Pat's a good man. Thoroughly deserved.

annthracks
14-Jul-10, 11:39
Yay! Well done him!!

Leanne
14-Jul-10, 11:44
Well done - and long may the tradition of recognising greatness continue.

Tubthumper
14-Jul-10, 11:49
Well done Pat, you deserve it. And the dog blanket scrubbed up OK for the day.

gollach
14-Jul-10, 12:49
And the dog blanket scrubbed up OK for the day.

I think the secret is to get them dry cleaned instead of using the wool cycle on your washing machine. :)

wifie
14-Jul-10, 13:44
Many congratulations Pat - not awarded for services to surfing then? ;)

Rheghead
14-Jul-10, 14:10
He should have a knighthood for keeping the best peatstack in Britain

viking
14-Jul-10, 15:04
I've had the pleasure of working with Pat on many occasions. He is an inspiration to children and nothing is too much trouble for him - a great ambassador for Caithness in science and music. Well Done Pat.

Tubthumper
14-Jul-10, 15:06
I've had the pleasure of working with Pat on many occasions. He is an inspiration to children and nothing is too much trouble for him - a great ambassador for Caithness in science and music. Well Done Pat.
He's an inspiration full stop. :)

Happy Guy
14-Jul-10, 16:49
He's an inspiration full stop. :)
So true!
Go to www.caithness-science.org (http://www.caithness-science.org) to see more about Pat and his contributions to science in Caithness

Tugmistress
14-Jul-10, 19:25
Well done Pat :D

Dog-eared
14-Jul-10, 20:00
Pat's a lovely hardworking man. Well deserved. :)

Behind every good man there's a good woman. Well done Annie for looking after him !

Kodiak
14-Jul-10, 21:15
Congratulations Pat you really do deserve this award, we are so happy for you

TudorRose
15-Jul-10, 13:52
Many Congratulations to Pat. A well deserved honour. To a truly decent, hard working and nice guy. :)

Welcomefamily
15-Jul-10, 19:28
Well done Pat.

Tubthumper
15-Jul-10, 19:57
Holyrood Cutlery Mystery - Queen ‘Not Amused’
Reuters//Edinburgh07/15/201019:15 BST
Royal security in Scotland is being stepped up after an unexplained disappearance from Holyrood Palace in Edinburgh last week.

Queen Elizabeth, with Prince Phillip in attendance, used the Palace to present honours and host official receptions and a garden party during the week, before her annual trip to Balmoral.

During public access to the ancient complex, which was closely guarded by members of the Royal Protection Detail, a large amount of cutlery disappeared.

“It appears that while the official presentations were under way, a member of the public removed valuable antique silverware from the Royal dining room,” said the Queen’s equerry, Col. Beaufort Cholmondley-Whipps. “CCTV footage of the area is blurred but shows a furtive figure in a ragged kilt entering and leaving the area.”

The haul allegedly includes Prince Phillip’s personal boiled egg top-remover, gifted to him in 1943 by the then King of Bulgaria Maximum III. A palace insider says that the Prince had to be forcibly restrained from pursuing a dodgy-looking suspect up the Royal Mile when the loss was revealed.

A Lothian & Borders Police spokeswoman said, “We have reports of a short Scouser with a stuffed and jingling sporran legging it towards the Waverley Station whilst slavering to himself in Gaelic. Intelligence reports say he may be headed for the highlands.”

iain
15-Jul-10, 22:10
You know him so well :)

Happy Guy
16-Jul-10, 12:41
Pat Kieran, of Reay went to London to Recieve his MBE from Her Majesty the Queen. The award was for his work promoting science, especially to young people. Pat is the Chairman of The Caithness Branch of The British Science Association, Chairman Melvich Gaelic Choir and Secretary of The Caithness Astronomy Group. His comment after was - "We had a GREAT day!"
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4119/4792475689_6bafdab9be.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4139/4792476563_a6288e5c86.jpg

Well done Pat, much deserved!
Sorry Pat and everyone, it was at Holyrood Palace Edinburgh, NOT Buckingham Palace London - MY MISTAKE - apologies to all!

Bazeye
16-Jul-10, 13:52
Makes a pleasant change, someone getting the award who actually deserved it.

pat_kieran
25-Jul-10, 10:27
Thanks to ALL of you for your kind comments, and CHEEK!

Tubthumper, I know where you live and me and me mates are comin round to give yous a good kickin'

Seriously, thanks to all for the help and support for the work we do towards promoting science and engineering in the county.
It's all great fun and all really needed if Caithness is going to continue to be the fantastic, energetic, beautiful place that it is just now