PDA

View Full Version : I cannot believe

highland red
13-Jul-10, 21:49
My O/H and myself have not long come back from a drive and return to Inverness. We had a very good trip down (nice and steady without taking risks), until we were almost on the dual carriageway before the Bridge when a young woman in a car with a passenger came to overtake a line of vehicles on a completely blind bend..........couldn't make it and missed my back end by inches when she darted in as the oncoming vehicle braked and flashed their lights. We then got a load of finger pointing (off the rocker raving too) before doing exactly the same thing again, on an even more dangerous section.

I am not easily shocked or offended, but the level of pure AGGRESSION from this one wee lady was scary.

We were also almost home on the return trip this evening when another young woman in a grey Fiat almost ran into us doing the very same thing on a very twisty section this side of Helmsdale. This young "lady", then made the HGV brake suddenly as she did the same thing to him.

I dare say that we seem to accept that "boy racers" are a fact of life (and maybe death too), but I was shocked again by the pure aggression that this young lady showed.

I really don't get any of this.

pegasus
13-Jul-10, 23:55
My O/H and myself have not long come back from a drive and return to Inverness. We had a very good trip down (nice and steady without taking risks), until we were almost on the dual carriageway before the Bridge when a young woman in a car with a passenger came to overtake a line of vehicles on a completely blind bend..........couldn't make it and missed my back end by inches when she darted in as the oncoming vehicle braked and flashed their lights. We then got a load of finger pointing (off the rocker raving too) before doing exactly the same thing again, on an even more dangerous section.

I am not easily shocked or offended, but the level of pure AGGRESSION from this one wee lady was scary.

We were also almost home on the return trip this evening when another young woman in a grey Fiat almost ran into us doing the very same thing on a very twisty section this side of Helmsdale. This young "lady", then made the HGV brake suddenly as she did the same thing to him.

I dare say that we seem to accept that "boy racers" are a fact of life (and maybe death too), but I was shocked again by the pure aggression that this young lady showed.

I really don't get any of this.
i see you have had lots of replies:lol:

women both young an d old behaving in a disgusting or diszgraceful way is jus t a sign of the times in which we live and the lack of response on here shows that many do not understand what you are concerned about: they see notjhing wrong with it

they see very little: period

highland red
14-Jul-10, 01:35
i see you have had lots of replies:lol:

women both young an d old behaving in a disgusting or diszgraceful way is jus t a sign of the times in which we live and the lack of response on here shows that many do not understand what you are concerned about: they see notjhing wrong with it

they see very little: period

Yeah my friend, I understand about the "no replies" thing. I'm beginning to think that this is more of a " ooooooooh that must have been terrible to have spilled some milk on your hall carpet, you poor thing: it must have been very traumatic: I once did that too and I tried for 4 years every day to try and get out the stain that nobody else could see", than a REAL forum.

In the next breath they are talking about how Al Qaeda is winning the war in the middle east.;)

upolian
14-Jul-10, 08:17
This is the kind of people giving young drivers a bad name,don't tar them all with the same brush,i know plenty people who attend organised track day's to push there driving and car to the limit,not use the public highway as a race track,sounds like absolute shocking driving she should not be on the road.

lynne duncan
14-Jul-10, 09:43
why did you not take a note of her number and of the driver in front of you if they witnessed her driving and report her, that way he police could point out the error of her ways before she causes an accident

Phill
14-Jul-10, 09:49
Unfortunately this and similar acts of stupidity on the roads are witnessed every day.
Not restricted to a sex or age group, it seems to be a self centred mentality that is epidemic.

Tubthumper
14-Jul-10, 10:03
This is the kind of people giving young drivers a bad name,don't tar them all with the same brush,i know plenty people who attend organised track day's to push there driving and car to the limit,not use the public highway as a race track,sounds like absolute shocking driving she should not be on the road.
I agree. What breaks me is when there's an accident and someone (usually NOT the driver!) gets killed. Then eveyone's really sorry, don't know how it could have happened, a good lad/lass really, doesn't deserve to have their life ruined, has learned their lesson etc...

squidge
14-Jul-10, 10:11
There is a theory that children today dont get to take risks in play. We are all so worried about letting them out of our sight that we wrap them up in cotton wool and manage their time to such an extent that they dont get to frighten themselves - ever.

They never swing out on a rope swing and the rope breaks, they dont walk on a slippy log across a river and risk falling in, they dont climb trees, they dont take risks. How many of you remember the breathlessness of getting yourself into a situation that you got out of by the skin of your teeth? Heart racing and feeling shaky and never ever ever telling your mum lol. Kids dont get to do that these days.

This means they never work out for themselves the boundaries of safety and so when they get behind the wheel of a car they have never learned about calculating risks so they end up making stupid decisions when taking risks in the car.

Tubthumper
14-Jul-10, 10:18
There is a theory that children today dont get to take risks in play. We are all so worried about letting them out of our sight that we wrap them up in cotton wool and manage their time to such an extent that they dont get to frighten themselves - ever.
They never swing out on a rope swing and the rope breaks, they dont walk on a slippy log across a river and risk falling in, they dont climb trees, they dont take risks. How many of you remember the breathlessness of getting yourself into a situation that you got out of by the skin of your teeth? Heart racing and feeling shaky and never ever ever telling your mum lol. Kids dont get to do that these days.
This means they never work out for themselves the boundaries of safety and so when they get behind the wheel of a car they have never learned about calculating risks so they end up making stupid decisions when taking risks in the car.
I disagree to an extent Squidge, there are still plenty of kids who get to do the tree & swing thing, and most young folk I know are as decent (or more so) as we were when I was young. But nowadays young lassies are rightly encouraged not to be soft and squidgy, to take control of their careers and lives, to get away from girly things and to be equal to men.
So they can buy a beanie hat, fit a bucket to their exhaust, tip the seats in the Corsa right back and drive like an erse, just like the boys do.
I wonder if they cruise around the High Schools letching at the young lads?

annthracks
14-Jul-10, 11:32
Yeah my friend, I understand about the "no replies" thing. I'm beginning to think that this is more of a " ooooooooh that must have been terrible to ......SNIP........)

Never mind the lack of replies, how many views did it actually have in the last 2 hrs of Sunday night? LOL :)

Tubthumper
14-Jul-10, 11:45
Two 18 year old girls killed and a third seriously injured near Troon (BBC report). Their car was in a head on collision with that of an 80-year old man who had apparently turned into the wrong carriageway off a roundabout.

So it's not just daft wee lassies.:(

jeremyjester
14-Jul-10, 11:49
I nearly had an accident last night aswell, in Leicester going round a round about, taking it nice and steady and for no reason at all the back end just started comming round.
Had to get out of the car to check the tyres for a puncture, I was sure I must have one.
The car will have to go in the garage it obviously has a major problem.
Otherwise I just hit oil.
Back end feels very loose.

Leanne
14-Jul-10, 11:49

I know what you mean...

There is also some research that links level of aggressiveness to forward facing pushchairs - from a very young age we are exposed to things coming towards us so lose the fear. The study showed that rear facing pushchairs resulted in more cautionary drivers.

I like rear facing pushchairs anyway because their allow eye contact between mother (or father) and child :)

OP - I am not surprised either - some diriving I have witnessed makes my bum clench!

jeremyjester
14-Jul-10, 12:00
Leanne dont you find that push chair handles are too short.

Leanne
14-Jul-10, 12:37
Leanne dont you find that push chair handles are too short.

Wouldn't know... lol

highland red
14-Jul-10, 12:53
Two 18 year old girls killed and a third seriously injured near Troon (BBC report). Their car was in a head on collision with that of an 80-year old man who had apparently turned into the wrong carriageway off a roundabout.

So it's not just daft wee lassies.:(

I wasn't for one minute suggesting anything about the merits or lack of them as a gender issue.

What I was trying to explain that (as an old fa*t) I was shocked by their aggression.

I'm just an old fashioned fellow when it come to ladies etc, and am still a bit surprised sometimes.

Oh yeah: an aunt and uncle some years back hit head on by a 17 year old boy that had his license three weeks and with eight other teenagers in a Land Rover on the wrong side of the road.

My Uncle was killed outright and my Aunt died in hospital six weeks later.

Just one accident that has claimed MANY lives in our family. So it's never far from my mind when we have any really close calls. I just don't want to die in an accident surrounded and sometimes gawped at by strangers as we sometimes see.

annthracks
14-Jul-10, 13:02
I nearly had an accident last night aswell, in Leicester going round a round about, taking it nice and steady and for no reason at all the back end just started comming round.
Had to get out of the car to check the tyres for a puncture, I was sure I must have one.
The car will have to go in the garage it obviously has a major problem.
Otherwise I just hit oil.
Back end feels very loose.

Roundabout?... could be a diesel spill from a lorry or that rain that's just started after weeks of dry...

squidge
14-Jul-10, 18:19
But nowadays young lassies are rightly encouraged not to be soft and squidgy, to take control of their careers and lives, to get away from girly things and to be equal to men.

Oi tubs -nothing wrong with being squidgey lol

Seriously - true equality between the sexes only comes with choices and with a celebration of our differences - Equal but different. We seem to have turned equality into a contest... who is the rudest drunkest orfoulest andthats NOT what its about. Being equal shouldnt mean getting as far away from femininity as possible. It should be about men being men and women being women and having equal rights and opportunities and the chance to make choices with our lives regardless of our sex. We seem to have turned it into some sort of horror show. Im sure those of us who had to fight to be treated equally roll their eyes and are as despairing of that as I am

Fran
14-Jul-10, 23:52
On my return from Inverness last night I was shocked at 2 boy racers in small cars chasing each other down the road and at the dangerous bends at the old. Cambusavie Hospital by Golspie.. i'm surprised there was no serious accident

David Banks
15-Jul-10, 01:34
In Toronto area, I had noticed an increase in e.g.: tailgating by female drivers for years.

Now in Halifax for three or four years, it is not quite so pronounced, but the drivers down here are more courteous generally.
We have our share of young guys with modified cars - lowered suspensions, noisy mufflers and booming hi-fi's - full of sound and fury . . .
As long as they work for the money they spend, so be it.

Tubthumper
15-Jul-10, 10:43
...As long as they work for the money they spend, so be it.
And as long as they drive in a considerate and mature manner, and don't kill themselves (or anyone else!)

Leanne
15-Jul-10, 13:00
full of sound and fury . . .

...signifying nothing ;)

annthracks
15-Jul-10, 17:28
And as long as they drive in a considerate and mature manner, and don't kill themselves (or anyone else!)

I have no problem with idiots killing themselves and cleaning the gene pool a bit, but it seems a lot of the time it's not the stupid ones that get the worse of it :(

Bazeye
15-Jul-10, 17:35
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming and in terror like his passengers.