PDA

View Full Version : Live Aid 25 years on

neepnipper
13-Jul-10, 21:37
Can't quite believe it's 25 years since Live Aid.

I was 17 at the time and what I remember most is the amazing performace by Queen and the Cars 'Drive' with the video, stirring stuff.

Have things changed that much since then, not too sure...........

ciderally
13-Jul-10, 23:32
oh ells bells they have changed so much....was trying to think the other day how i ever survived without a moble pone...eh? can u imagine life without it ..ummmmmmmmmmmm

ciderally
13-Jul-10, 23:34
oh yes and it was madona that i remember, hardley known then....

Amy-Winehouse
14-Jul-10, 00:15
Simple Minds were there & Status Quo at Wembely both were superb.

I remember we had a live aid at the Hangar in Wick that summer as well, it was not a bad night iirc :cool:

Metalattakk
14-Jul-10, 01:11

I remember we had a live aid at the Hangar in Wick that summer as well, it was not a bad night iirc :cool:

Fair dues, as I remember it The Quo were woeful on the day. Out-of-tune and hung-over to hell.

Seeing Led Zep reform with Phil effing Collins (of all people :eek:) on drums was a sure-fire let-down for me too.

it was Queen's day though, no doubt.

fender
14-Jul-10, 07:21
There was a documentary on BBC4 last night about the organising of the Live Aid Concert. Very funny in bits. Sir Bob got a phone call at 2.00am on the day of the concert to say that U2 were pulling out because they were not getting to do a sound check. His reply in his normal manner F..K THEM!

Green_not_greed
14-Jul-10, 08:58

My band played at the Hangar gig that summer and it was pretty good indeed. If I remember correctly British Standard were the band which took the headlines in the Groat with a big front page photo.

As for Live Aid, the date was announced some months after we had agreed to play with Runrig at the Golspie Festival. So my memories of the day were watching Status Quo kick off (Rockin' all over the world) on a black and white portable telly in the sound equipment van. We played and then stayed down. The only part of Live Aid I saw was from a 4 hour video tape which I'd set up to capture U2, Queen and whoever else was on around that time. I think I was lucky to get the best part of the day. Its only about 2008 that I finally saw the whole thing when I bought the DVD set.

CFM
14-Jul-10, 18:06
You may be interested to know that Bob Johnson and Richard Bradley will be presenting a three hour Live Aid remembered show this Thursday on Caithness Fm from 9pm to midnight