PDA

View Full Version : Fortnightly bin collection

dozy
13-Jul-10, 19:37
The Council are up for changing our weekly service in favour of the fortnightly pick-up .

b3n
13-Jul-10, 20:03
Our bin is overflowing every week without fail!!! Dont know what we'd do if they came fortnightly :-(

Julia
13-Jul-10, 20:03
That would do me just fine as my bin only goes out every 2 - 3 weeks, it's probably to encourage recycling which can fairly cut down your rubbish by about half I've found.

bagpuss
13-Jul-10, 20:06
This may be as an alternative to cutting other services- and can be justified as going green.

Might be better to cut down on bin emptying, if it keeps other amenities open. But are they planning on shedding jobs along with bin runs?

ShelleyCowie
13-Jul-10, 20:08
I have to admit im not really great at the recycling thing :o I use my brown bin. But em my blue bin holds the OH's fishing stuff. Woops lol.

If it came to fortnightly i might have to recycle then. But i dont have as much rubbish as you would think.

Dont worry i will slap my own wrist for not recycling! ;)

Phill
13-Jul-10, 20:14
If they put the recycling collection upto fortnightly too then it may work.

Me recycling bin is often overflowing and the normal bin can easily get away with a fortnightly pickup.

But it'll be honkin'!!

Oh, they'll need to get it back to weekly over the christmas period though, with all the extra crap etc.

I still maintain that the council should put the tax up by 1 or 2% and maintain all frontline jobs and services.
Stop creating stupid waste of time jobs at £50k.

laguna2
13-Jul-10, 20:15
We have fortnightly collection of our black bin. Every other week it is our blue recycle bin. I manage fine - infact my recycle bin is fuller than the black bin!

I was actually surprised at the difference between areas concerning what can go in the blue bin. Here, we can put in plastic, any kind of paper, cardboard and clothing.

We also have a green bin for glass which goes out once a month and a brown bin for garden stuff which goes out once a fortnight from March - end October.

nightspirit
13-Jul-10, 21:37
We have it here also it alternates with the recycling bins however even recycling does not stop an over flowing bin with a toddler. i would rather see weekly collections or at least the option of a bigger bin. I would have to admit the lack of space is prolly due toi the lack of recyclates that our blue bin will accept

unicorn
13-Jul-10, 21:51
I read in a paper recently that this government were totally against fortnightly pickups and it was to be going weekly everywhere.

Dadie
13-Jul-10, 22:01
Our black bin is usually 1/2 full, but, with smelly nappies in it, its not nice!
and needs to be emptied weekly ... just to keep it from smelling.
The recycling bin could do with being emptied more often too...and I wish they would take glass as well as paper and tins!...but Lauren loves going to the glass bottle bank and hearing the crashes:lol:....mostly Euans food jars may I add!

ShelleyCowie
13-Jul-10, 22:02
We have it here also it alternates with the recycling bins however even recycling does not stop an over flowing bin with a toddler. i would rather see weekly collections or at least the option of a bigger bin. I would have to admit the lack of space is prolly due toi the lack of recyclates that our blue bin will accept

Oh how could i forget about the nappies and things :eek: Gosh if it was fortnightly could you imagine the smell! Ugh.

Come September i will have 2 kids in nappies :eek:

Why is it our recycling bins dont take as much different things as most other places? Curious...

Dadie
13-Jul-10, 22:13
I use real nappies as well as disposables...so there wont be as many in the bin as there could be with 2 in nappies!
But the smell...euwwh
Just 1 nappy festering in this heat could knock you out!

Fluff
13-Jul-10, 22:42
Shelly, the recycle bins here don't take glass either, only plastic, card & paper. It can be frustrating if the glass builds up!

Fly
13-Jul-10, 23:34
We recycle a lot so don't need to have our bin emptied every week. What does seem daft to me is a twice monthly collection of garden rubbish in the winter months!!!:confused

Lolabelle
14-Jul-10, 08:53
We have fortnightly collection of our black bin. Every other week it is our blue recycle bin. I manage fine - infact my recycle bin is fuller than the black bin!

I was actually surprised at the difference between areas concerning what can go in the blue bin. Here, we can put in plastic, any kind of paper, cardboard and clothing.

We also have a green bin for glass which goes out once a month and a brown bin for garden stuff which goes out once a fortnight from March - end October.

Is there any room in your yard/garden for anything besides all those bins LOL [lol]
recycling is good!

laguna2
14-Jul-10, 09:14

Forgot that our recycle bin also takes tins!

laguna2
14-Jul-10, 09:15
Is there any room in your yard/garden for anything besides all those bins LOL [lol]
recycling is good!

:lol: we have them snug by the garage at the side of the house :D

laguna2
14-Jul-10, 09:16
We recycle a lot so don't need to have our bin emptied every week. What does seem daft to me is a twice monthly collection of garden rubbish in the winter months!!!:confused

Our brown "garden bin" is collected fortnightly, but only March to end of October

crashbandicoot1979
14-Jul-10, 09:33
Its only at the pilot stage just now, a six month trial period on Skye to see how feasible it is.

Each household will also be issued with a recycling bin for paper, cardboard, tins/cans and plastic bottles (like what the folks in the country already have) and this will be picked up on alternate fortnights.

stekar
14-Jul-10, 09:45
We have recently moved from the country to the town. In the country our rubbish bin was only half full on collection day, and the big recycling wheelie bin was always full after the four weeks. It could have been done to be emptied fortnightly, but like others have said, I'm not keen on the rubbish only being removed fortnighly because if the smells, yuck.

Now that we're in the town, we have the silly little blue box thing. Can no longer recycle cardboard or plastic bottles. Now every week my rubbish bin is overflowing! Quite into recycling and shocked about how much I am just throwing in the bin now.

Know I could take it to the recycling centre, but this isn't always convenient and then there's all the stuff cluttering the house up until you go.

Ideally I would like rubbish collected weekly, and a recycling wheelie bin collected fortnightly. Garden waste is neligible, hardly have any!

Green_not_greed
14-Jul-10, 10:10
We could probably cope with fortnightly garbage collection as we recycle everything we can. I live rurally and the monthly recycling bin is usually full - and thats only from cardboard and plastic as I take glass, cans and paper to Reay, and the cardboard juice cartons to Thurso. As has been suggested by others on this thread, a fortnightly collection of recycling would be far better.

Tubthumper
14-Jul-10, 10:12
I use real nappies as well as disposables...so there wont be as many in the bin as there could be with 2 in nappies!
But the smell...euwwh
Just 1 nappy festering in this heat could knock you out! Apparently mint Tic-Tacs or Polos make the poops more fragrant, keeps the wheelie smelling sweeter.

kat300586
14-Jul-10, 12:08
my bins r both full in a week so if it was to be collected fortnightly god nos were id put the rubbish.

suzyq
15-Jul-10, 12:38
We’ve had fortnightly collection of household rubbish for years and, with the exception of nappies, I can’t see what all the fuss is about.

Most smells will originate from food. Simple solution to this is to exercise portion control (still can’t lose weight though!) so there is very little, if any, food waste. Any waste food we do have is sealed in a plastic bag - and, particularly during summer, if the collection is not due the bag gets popped in the freezer until collection day. We also rinse out recyclable containers - usually in waste water from washing-up etc. Result is bins rarely smell and therefore don’t attract flies.

The only time we’ve ever had a real problem with smell was when dog owners started dumping full poop bags in our bin (not very pleasant when the bags split). We soon solved that problem - but how would be off-topic.:lol: