PDA

View Full Version : Asda News Update

Tugmistress
28-Jun-06, 11:06
Had an email this morning from someone at the beeb in inverness who works on the website part of the news.

keep your eye out for our online petition making the site ;)

Rubha_an_Tuir
28-Jun-06, 11:25
Excellent news. I contacted a few individuals in the press yesterday telling them to sniff out a story....BBC were keen but STV weren't sure because it was north of Perth!!

Mr P Cannop
28-Jun-06, 12:03
Had an email this morning from someone at the beeb in inverness who works on the website part of the news.

keep your eye out for our online petition making the site ;)

what was said in your email ??

DrSzin
28-Jun-06, 14:17

keep your eye out for our online petition making the site ;)It's here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/5121826.stm), and with a slant that you might not much care for.

Mr Smith has nailed his colours to the mast. But whose ship is it on, and is it sinking?

Tugmistress
28-Jun-06, 14:26
Cheers for the link Dr Szin :D
i was expecting to read worse than i did when you posted, but i am actually quite pleased with it. I most certainly am aware that bogus names will appear as in the councillors ones, but hopefully i am keeping on top of that with the help of some orgers who spot what i miss (am seeing in quadruple vision not just double vision when checking this lot!).

i wonder if anyone from ASDA themselves has seen it :lol:

rollerboy
28-Jun-06, 14:35
Power To The People

DrSzin
28-Jun-06, 14:40
Note that the petition is currently the top story in the Highlands and Islands section (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/) of the BBC News website.

MadPict
28-Jun-06, 15:24
Not exactly the headline you would wish for. I guess "Local Residents Launch Pro ASDA Petition" is just not as juicy as " MP targeted in Asda petition hoax".................

SandTiger
28-Jun-06, 16:13
Not exactly the headline you would wish for. I guess "Local Residents Launch Pro ASDA Petition" is just not as juicy as " MP targeted in Asda petition hoax".................

The headline is a tad over the top it must be said - But then that's the press industry for you, anything to sell a story. The petition has only had 4 spoiled entries out of 1580 odd entries, which is pretty good for any petition. As you say a headline about hoaxers is far more dramatic.

The other thing the article got wrong was saying that the petition was "running on community website Caithness.org" which is not strictly correct but hey, tis only the BBC :roll:

DrSzin
28-Jun-06, 16:51
Not exactly the headline you would wish for. I guess "Local Residents Launch Pro ASDA Petition" is just not as juicy as " MP targeted in Asda petition hoax".................That's interesting. The original(?) headline was entitled "Asda petition targeted by hoaxers", and it began "Councillors' names are removed from an internet petition backing store plans after they appear without permission." The associated photo was of an ASDA supermarket. I guess a hoax (sic) involving an MP's name is bigger news than one involving a few councillors that no-one's heard of.

I see they've already corrected the article to say that the petition is "linked from community website Caithness.org".

Mr P Cannop
28-Jun-06, 17:00
when will the ASDA Petition finish

changilass
28-Jun-06, 17:16
Cheers for the link Dr Szin :D
i was expecting to read worse than i did when you posted, but i am actually quite pleased with it. I most certainly am aware that bogus names will appear as in the councillors ones, but hopefully i am keeping on top of that with the help of some orgers who spot what i miss (am seeing in quadruple vision not just double vision when checking this lot!).

i wonder if anyone from ASDA themselves has seen it :lol:

I sent an email to Asda, suggesting that they look at the Caithness Org and the link to the petition, not had a response so far.

robbain
28-Jun-06, 17:58
I have noticed in the local newspaper, one of the councillors, who voted against Asda, is trying to save his skin, by trying to get an appeal and bring it to the main highland councillors, so that they can vote yes or no to Asda.

Gogglebox
28-Jun-06, 19:46
i think the councillor who is trying to get the decision set aside voted FOR asda
if you mean Macdonald

clash67
28-Jun-06, 20:12
I thought Donnie Mackay voted for Asda , am I wrong?

Loafer
28-Jun-06, 20:14
I thought Donnie Mackay voted for Asda , am I wrong?

That numpty voted AGAINST Asda!

The Loafer

clash67
28-Jun-06, 20:32
That numpty voted AGAINST Asda!

The Loafer

Well then he is a muppit! I have seen him filling the boot of his car with groceries in Inverness, what is the bets that it was on a day when he was attending an IMPORTANT meeting there. Mmmmm...
I would love to see the outcome of a private investigation into the goings on with our official representitives!

Gogglebox
28-Jun-06, 20:35
Voted Against the Application -
Thurso West - Roger Saxon
Thurso Central - Donald Mackay
Thurso East - Tom Jackson
Wick Councillor - Graeme Smith (also used his casting vote against the application)
Voted To Accept the Planning Officers Recommendation To ACCEPT the Application
Wick West - Bill Fernie
Caithness Central - David Flear
Caithness North East - John Green
Caithness North West - Alistair MacDonald
Two Councillors Were Unavailable
Pulteneytown - Katrina MacNab
Caithness South East - William Mowat
The way the vote went
The vote was split 4 for and 4 against and chairman Councillor Graham Smith used his casting vote against the application. The paper with the proposals can be found HERE

willowbankbear
28-Jun-06, 20:39
They are corrupt of course, all through time it has gone on so why get so miffed?

bigpete
03-Jul-06, 11:21
whoops too many