PDA

View Full Version : Cook Book Bother

squidge
28-Jun-06, 10:54
I need a new cookbook

I have used Delia Smith Complete Cookery course since i first got it in 1986 as a wedding present. It now has no back cover and no front cover and half the index is missing. I have used the recipes and stolen from them and amended them and faffed about with them til i almost know them off by heart. Although I use other books this has been my favourite and the most reliable and consistent.

The thing is I now want a new cookbook. I want one i will love as much, whose recipes will stand up to "fiddling with" and whose recipes will become firm favourites. I dont want a book full of recipes with millions of ingredients or odd sorts of things that cost the earth. I also want a book with a good mix of healthy meals for my family and special smart meals for big occasions. I dont do much baking or eat much fish - Robert the Bruce is not one for a nice bit of halibut im afraid. IM happy to spend a good bit and i am looking for recommendations.

What cook books do you love and what would you recommend as my "bible for the naughties"

crystal
28-Jun-06, 11:18
i quite like to cook my self its easyer i find than buyin packed stuff. i dont use any old cook book some times i just make it up as i go along. i get it from my mum she is excelent at cooking and has her own cook book. she makes recipies up her self and they taste so good:D most of them are american style but they taste realy realy good. you should speek to my mum her user name is elenna shes cool and should b able to help you out.:lol:

squidge
28-Jun-06, 11:19
Thanks Crystal - i do that too

I love to cook but i like a book to give me inspiration sometimes so im hoing for a few recommendations - hopefully your mum will post on here and let me know what she thinks and likes

crystal
28-Jun-06, 11:21
ok hope i helped:D

dunderheed
28-Jun-06, 12:07
as a collector of cookbooks(well i used to and i know its strange for a bloke, but i was a chef for a good few years) i would recommend any of the books partaining to mrs beaton . these are fantastic recipes with loads of ingredients in them.
more modern books i would recomend gary rhodes (rhodes round britain and more roads round britain) rick steins food heroes (doesn't contain many of his recipes but recipes by people he enjoys cooking for him) and finally nick nairns wild harvest . nick nairn even gives you addresses and contact numbers for his suppliers and handy wee tips.

another good one to get if you can find it is the one by ceserani and quinten (think thats their names ) which was the course book for the old city and guilds . unfortunately i cant remember its name.

dunderheed
28-Jun-06, 12:09
books i would avoid on the other hand are anything by delia smith, or anothy wirral thomson (just ask obiron and she will explain)

Ricco
28-Jun-06, 12:56
My mother used to have a north Amercian version of Mrs Beaton. Absolutely wonderful to read through and so full of different ideas. The book was about 4 inches thick, green in colour (the dust cover had long gone) and the pages had those small black indexes.

There were the ususal recipes like scrambled eggs, eggs Benedict, Welsh rarebit and so on. There were also recipes like Brunswick stew (squirrels), squab pie (baby pigeons) and pressed moose nose.

crystal
28-Jun-06, 13:01
My mother used to have a north Amercian version of Mrs Beaton. Absolutely wonderful to read through and so full of different ideas. The book was about 4 inches thick, green in colour (the dust cover had long gone) and the pages had those small black indexes.

There were the ususal recipes like scrambled eggs, eggs Benedict, Welsh rarebit and so on. There were also recipes like Brunswick stew (squirrels), squab pie (baby pigeons) and pressed moose nose. eww baby pigeons and squirrels yuck!![disgust] i wonder if they taste nice though?:roll: funny but gross

Elenna
28-Jun-06, 14:09
i quite like to cook my self its easyer i find than buyin packed stuff. i dont use any old cook book some times i just make it up as i go along. i get it from my mum she is excelent at cooking and has her own cook book. she makes recipies up her self and they taste so good. most of them are american style but they taste realy realy good. you should speek to my mum her user name is elenna shes cool and should b able to help you out.

After that recommendation, I guess I had better reply! ;) Thanks, crystal...you're coming along as a really good little cook, yourself.

I know what you mean about having a well-used favourite cookbook, squidge. Most of my "old standbys" have seen better days. By necessity, I learned to cook family meals when I was Very young, and then with encouragement...especially from both of my grandmas who each were brilliant cooks, one with worldwide cuisine and "entertaining", and the other with baking and "home cooking"...I went on to learn more and more advanced techniques.

The two books I have used to near oblivion were passed to me by an (American) great-aunt...hence crystals description of American-style :lol:. They are Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook, and Betty Crocker's Cookbook That one is the 2nd or 3rd Edition...I think they are on the 9th now! I don't know if these are in print any more, or if you can even get them here, but they are brilliant for just about the whole range of recipes imaginable, and even give suggestions on how to vary different ones. Other than that, I have a recipe file full of favourites from one grandma, and an actual book that my other grandma had printed of her own recipe collection.

Of the recent books available, I agree with dunderheed...I thought both Open Rhodes Around Britain and Nick Nairn's Wild Harvest are two of the best. I'm not actually a great fan of Delia Smith, myself, but I definitely think Nigella Lawson's How to Be a Domestic Goddess is NOT worth the money.

I don't know if this has helped much! Maybe the best idea for you would be to browse the cookbooks available in a book shop or two, or even borrow a few from the library, until you find something you really like.

dunderheed
28-Jun-06, 14:18
i've got to admit to having a couple of strange ones in my collection
the two that spring to mind are faye levi's international jewish cookery book and belive it or not "the inner taste" hari krishna cookbook. the latter was bought from some krishna guys in london for the grand price of £1 it has a good few vegetarian recipes in it that are very unusal and certainly make conversation if i ever cook them for guests (or part of my city and guilds course many moons ago).
betty croker elena i have had the priveledge of owning a copy of that a few years ago (think it was the 4th or 5th edition) and would also recomend that .

squidge
28-Jun-06, 14:36
Thats great you guys - ill look for the betty Crocker one Elenna. I have been browsing the bookshops - borders - a BIG coffee and an even bigger pile of cookbooks has been my regular haunt this last few weeks. Both you and dunderheed mention Gary Rhodes and i have been drawn to his keep it simple book recently, ITs so confusing though all these books there are loads of them. I'll keep slogging at it and any other suggestions would be welcome.

sassylass
28-Jun-06, 15:36
The Betty Crocker cookbook has been collecting dust on my shelf for years. I always reach for the Joy of Cooking by Irma Rombauer when I need a good basic recipe to launch my creativity. Also, it's got the Whys and Wherefores answered.

Good luck cooker lass!

DrSzin
28-Jun-06, 15:52
The two books I have used to near oblivion were passed to me by an (American) great-aunt...hence crystals description of American-style :lol:. They are Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook, and Betty Crocker's Cookbook That one is the 2nd or 3rd Edition...I think they are on the 9th now! I don't know if these are in print any more, or if you can even get them here, but they are brilliant for just about the whole range of recipes imaginable, and even give suggestions on how to vary different ones.Lol, I remember people making fun of me when I lived in the States because I didn't know who Betty Crocker was. It never crossed my mind that she didn't actually exist.

dunderheed
28-Jun-06, 16:03
another gem of a book is "the scottish kitchen" by christopher trotter which was produced for the national trust for scotland , you can pick this one up in the local libraries (just don't try in thurso library for a couple of weeks ;) )its jam packed with recipes from different scottish regions

Sporran
28-Jun-06, 18:19
Well, I have collected quite a number of cookbooks over the years. I got my first introduction to Betty Crocker when my mother-in-law bought me Betty's "new and revised" edition in 1979. I've just been looking at the well-worn book, which my mother-in-law had signed with wishes for "happy cooking", stating that she'd gotten good use out of her older edition. Likewise, I got good use out of the edition she gave me - it was my "cooking bible" for many a year! :) But since the late 90s, my favourite has been The Joy of Cooking by Irma Rombauer ( I have her 1997 edition.) As sassylass says, it answers the "whys and wherefores", and that's one of the reasons I like it so much. It has a good variety of recipes, and the directions are easy to follow. There are no glossy, mouthwatering photos, but sketched pictures and diagrams where appropriate. The hardback book is also a convenient size - about 6 x 9 inches, and is 2.5 inches thick. Another useful feature is the built-in ribbon bookmarker, so you don't lose your place! :cool:

Ricco
28-Jun-06, 18:41
Speaking of cooking, well... recipes. I once enjoyed some excellent bannocks on Orkney, made with spelt flour. Now, I can get the flour buut don't knnow how to make the bannocks. Anyone got a recipe? Thanks. :D

George Brims
28-Jun-06, 18:50
I have an old edition of Mrs Beaton that my mum inherited from my granny, and my aunt re-bound (handy to have a person in the family who takes up book-binding as a hobby!). It's fascinating to just sit and read, never mind cooking anything!

Squidge, I assume you still live in Inversnecky, so don't forget to browse all the thrift shops for cookbooks. There's also that funny used book shop at the bottom of Church St., but to be honest i have never found much to inspire me in there.

George Brims
28-Jun-06, 18:55
Ricco, I thought spelt was a kind of fish. Fish flour? That doesn't sound attractive. 8^)

squidge
28-Jun-06, 18:58
I have an old edition of Mrs Beaton that my mum inherited from my granny, and my aunt re-bound (handy to have a person in the family who takes up book-binding as a hobby!). It's fascinating to just sit and read, never mind cooking anything!

Squidge, I assume you still live in Inversnecky, so don't forget to browse all the thrift shops for cookbooks. There's also that funny used book shop at the bottom of Church St., but to be honest i have never found much to inspire me in there.

Leakeys you mean - was there yesterday and had a good look around might go back if IM still around after Robert the Bruce has finished all the english off this weekend - we shall see

orkneylass
28-Jun-06, 19:14
I've got a download file of Jamie Oliver's latest cookbook but don't know how I would get it to everyone via this forum????

canuck
28-Jun-06, 19:25
It seems that the "Joy of Cooking" is a North American experience. I've really appreciated that book over the years. I also use Betty Crocker. My copy was a gift when I was in High School many, many, many moons ago.

Ricco, concerning the bannock, I have a "Highland" recipe adapted for the Canadian prairie by Selkirk Settlers. What I remember is the repetition of the line "and a sip of rum for the cook." Once I finally get moved in and unpacked I will search it out for you.

Happy cooking squidge.

Ricco
28-Jun-06, 19:31
Ricco, I thought spelt was a kind of fish. Fish flour? That doesn't sound attractive. 8^)

No. no - those are smelts.:roll:

Ricco
28-Jun-06, 19:32
Ricco, concerning the bannock, I have a "Highland" recipe adapted for the Canadian prairie by Selkirk Settlers. What I remember is the repetition of the line "and a sip of rum for the cook." Once I finally get moved in and unpacked I will search it out for you.

Happy cooking squidge.

That would be great, Canuck. I also have a North African cookbook that I picked up at a jumble sale.

obiron
28-Jun-06, 19:36
i have a really old one that they used to use at the high school years ago. gives old fashioned recipes even has a bit for cleaning and what you should use for spills etc.

neepnipper
28-Jun-06, 22:06
Try Prue Leiths Cookery Bible, everyday recipes and the more exotic, even tells you what wine to serve with each recipe. The only cookery book you'll ever need!

Cedric Farthsbottom III
28-Jun-06, 22:15
My favourite Cook Book was done by the publishers of the Kama Sutra.Cos' its got the best recipe for souffles that never drop.:lol: :lol:

Fran
29-Jun-06, 00:12
there was a Delia smith cook book in the Wick hospice shop, i dont know if it is still there. the charity shops have some good recipee books, some from years ago and some good old scottish recipees.

dunderheed
29-Jun-06, 07:41
Try Prue Leiths Cookery Bible, everyday recipes and the more exotic, even tells you what wine to serve with each recipe. The only cookery book you'll ever need!

forgot i had this one as "her who should be obeyed " has got it round at her workplace

sassylass
01-Jul-06, 04:17

Spelt is a type of grain, similar to wheat.

Ricco
01-Jul-06, 07:21
Spelt is a type of grain, similar to wheat.

..and Caithness spelt is probably one of the best! :D

squeezy
01-Jul-06, 11:19
I recently got "The new classic 1000 recipies" by Wendy Hobson, and it's great. It seems to have all your basic recipies, and I've quite happily teaked them to my own taste.

I would also rate the Better Homes and Gardens cookbooks. Everything I've tried out of them has been delicious!

P.S. orkneylass - your Jamie Oliver book is a hoax.

rockchick
01-Jul-06, 11:48
...The thing is I now want a new cookbook. I want one i will love as much, whose recipes will stand up to "fiddling with" and whose recipes will become firm favourites. I dont want a book full of recipes with millions of ingredients or odd sorts of things that cost the earth. I also want a book with a good mix of healthy meals for my family and special smart meals for big occasions. I dont do much baking or eat much fish - Robert the Bruce is not one for a nice bit of halibut im afraid. IM happy to spend a good bit and i am looking for recommendations.

What cook books do you love and what would you recommend as my "bible for the naughties"

Squidge,

The best cookbook I can recommend for what you're asking for (and I have half a bookcase full of them!) is Julia Child's "The Way to Cook". She teaches techniques, and then gives you variations on the basic techniques, and so encourages you to try your own variations cuz you know what you can change without screwing up the basic recipe. It's absolutely brilliant - I wouldn't be without it!

Margaret M.
01-Jul-06, 13:02
I would also highly recommend both Betty Crocker and Better Homes and Gardens -- have used both for years. I have a weakness for cookbooks but always seem to use these two more than any others. The recipes are really tasty and don't take a lot of effort.