PDA

View Full Version : Time..

cherokee
12-Jul-10, 18:27
Just curious as to how others on here perceive time...

Does it go too slow for you; are you really looking forward to something?

Does it go too slow for you; are you wishing that it goes faster for you, or maybe cos you're dreading something and would love to have it over and done with?

Would you love it to go quicker; are you desperate for that "day" to happen "now" ?

Or maybe you're very happy with how "time" just plods along and you love what each day brings ?

Maybe, even, you'd like to "go back" in time and relive the "good days" ?

How do you perceive "time"......?

Cape Crusader
12-Jul-10, 18:41
Dunno, but I have often pondered on if it is possible to hear a clock stop.

When you hear the last 'tick', you do not know at that time that it is the last 'tick', and at that point the clock is clearly still going.

But when the the next 'tick is due and it does not appear, the clock has already stopped.

At what point did the clock stop?

Or should I get a life?

The pure and simple truthy is rarely pure, and never simple. (Oscar Wilde)

cherokee
12-Jul-10, 19:06
Well a stopped clock shows the right time twice a day ....... ;)

DeHaviLand
12-Jul-10, 19:08

Not if its digital ;)

cherokee
12-Jul-10, 19:19
So, what is time, what does it really mean to you ?...

Are you desperate for it to go faster or would you love it to go slower ...??

Tugmistress
12-Jul-10, 19:45
I'm happy with it how it is :)
when i was younger (before hitting 30) it went too fast for me, i dreaded that big '30' birthday, but now i am over 40 i'm more than happy with time as it is :)

ShelleyCowie
12-Jul-10, 19:46
Well right now i want time to slow down for the reason that i dont want to be 22 on wednesday. Im not ready for it! But i want it to go fast so that i wont be Shelley Bain anymore...will be Shelley Cowie next Tuesday. Also baby in September so im pretty ready for that too because this heat is just draggin me down.

So a mixture of both slowing down and speeding up would be grand if ya could :) xx

highland red
12-Jul-10, 19:48

An old Danish saying goes: "when you have a clock you know what the time is: but when you have a lot of clocks you are never sure" (or words to that effect).

EDDIE
12-Jul-10, 19:55
Its true what they say the older you get the quicker time travels i never used to understand it when i was a teenager but i do now

cherokee
12-Jul-10, 20:18
Its true what they say the older you get the quicker time travels i never used to understand it when i was a teenager but i do now

You're so right there Eddie..... many days I wished I could just "STOP" time........mmmmm ..

Anyone else wishing to say something about "time" ?

George Brims
12-Jul-10, 20:56
Prof Einstein once said "Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute."

Moira
12-Jul-10, 21:04
Prof Einstein once said "Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a really, interesting guy (who doesn't try to put his hand on your leg) for an hour, and it seems like a minute."

I'm with George Brims. He was a few years ahead of me in High School. :D

onecalledk
12-Jul-10, 21:57
time is merely a man made illusion. I pay little head to time as we can speed it up or slow it down at will as your description shows in your original post.......

cavemen didnt sit around in caves thinking oh its 2pm best go and hunt something for lunch ........

:)

Whitewater
12-Jul-10, 23:29
Have to agree with Eddie, since I retired time just seems to fly past. I often wonder is it just because I'm relaxed and having a good time doing all the things I enjoy and get pleasure from?

Fran
13-Jul-10, 00:13
I'm grateful for all the time I get, but there are never enough hours in the day for me.
Weekdays I wish they would hurry up so that Saturday comes, i love the weekends.
But then i wish time would slow down as I have to go to the dentist soon to get a tooth cut out and stitches yuk.
I am wishing time away again for my holiday in November, so looking forward to it.
So i am for time and against time!!!!!!!

gleeber
13-Jul-10, 08:43
time is merely a man made illusion. I pay little head to time as we can speed it up or slow it down at will as your description shows in your original post.......

cavemen didnt sit around in caves thinking oh its 2pm best go and hunt something for lunch ........

Time exists just like space exists. It's something that can be measured. Its as real and as necessary to a human being as is oxygen.
All man did was to package it into segments and build instruments to measure it.
Look at the stars and we look back in time. Travel to the stars and time slows down. It's all too weird for me but it's real.

John Little
13-Jul-10, 09:25
Yes - the Einstein idea is very intriguing - that as mass approaches the speed of light, then time approaches infinity. So it slows down.

I wonder what happens past light speed.

There are particles that go faster than light.

Or if an object were to get to light speed- would it freeze at that moment, stuck for ever, caught in time like a fly in amber?

Or if I were to get on a ship and fly away from Earth for 3 months and then return - would 600 years have gone by on earth?

Must be some physicists out there - after all you've got Dounreay.....
Come on guys...........

onecalledk
13-Jul-10, 10:21
Time exists just like space exists. It's something that can be measured. Its as real and as necessary to a human being as is oxygen.
All man did was to package it into segments and build instruments to measure it.
Look at the stars and we look back in time. Travel to the stars and time slows down. It's all too weird for me but it's real.

Time exists for man because man needs to slot things into boxes and made order out of perceived chaos. Remember in quantum physics that as soon as something is observed it exists. If you dont observe time then it wouldnt exist would it ? There is the idea that time is holographical, that time stretches out in all directions at the same time. It is the human mind and its need for order that insists that time is the past, present and future. They all exists at once .......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7SDrj4Tjvk

:D

gleeber
13-Jul-10, 11:05
If you dont observe time then it wouldnt exist would it ? :D
Well yes it would still exist. Time is real. you are getting confused with mans use of time.
If you were in a room with a cat and put him into a box and then I came in. I couldnt see the cat but would he still be in the box?

onecalledk
13-Jul-10, 12:12
Well yes it would still exist. Time is real. you are getting confused with mans use of time.
If you were in a room with a cat and put him into a box and then I came in. I couldnt see the cat but would he still be in the box?

something only exists if it is observed. The constant observation of clocks would make time exist as "real" to people. Time is man made. Man somehow needs the concept of time to define his existence and what he does all day. Time is a concept that man dreamt up. Scientist can measure time because they have observed it causing it to become "real" to them.

If time is real to you then so be it, its your reality after all. I cannot deny you the existence of time in your reality as I dont have your reality, only YOU have it ......

The Flea
13-Jul-10, 13:10
Definately would like time to go slower. Getting to the stage I aint looking forward to birthdays anymore ha ha