PDA

View Full Version : Orange marches do we ban them or let them carry on

cuddain
12-Jul-10, 13:37
Once again the orange march season is here and once again it has started violently do you think it is time to ban them country wide once and for all

Corrie 3
12-Jul-10, 14:20
Once again the orange march season is here and once again it has started violently do you think it is time to ban them country wide once and for all
I dont mind either way but if they are banned then so should the "Gay Pride" marches.
Both of them are made up of Folk who have something to prove to the rest of society, God knows why they feel the need to do it but if one is banned then so should the other IMO.
:confused

DeHaviLand
12-Jul-10, 15:06

Yes, ban them, and as many football matches are also marred by violence, lets ban all football matches too. Outbreaks of violence also occurs at boxing events too, ban them! Theres always been fighting at music festivals too, ban them! And I've seen plenty of fights in school playgrounds, lets ban schools too! Now, thats got that sorted out, are there any more sensible answers?:roll:

Incidentally, how many arrests were there at the Caithness Orange March?

The Pepsi Challenge
12-Jul-10, 15:09
I dont mind either way but if they are banned then so should the "Gay Pride" marches.
Both of them are made up of Folk who have something to prove to the rest of society, God knows why they feel the need to do it but if one is banned then so should the other IMO.
:confused

You are totally backward. Gay Pride celebrates tolerance, acceptance and peace. Orange marches celebrate slaughter, hatred and oppression. See the difference? Didn't think so. Back to your cave, pal.

DeHaviLand
12-Jul-10, 15:12
You are totally backward. Gay Pride celebrates tolerance, acceptance and peace. Orange marches celebrate slaughter, hatred and oppression. See the difference? Didn't think so. Back to your cave, pal.

Actually Orange Marches celebrate freedom from oppression. See the difference? Didnt think so. back to your Republican cave, pal.

regalkings
12-Jul-10, 15:28
Incidentally, how many arrests were there at the Caithness Orange March?

Theres an Orange March in Thurso from The Park Bar to Top Joes everytime The Gers beat seltic;)

No arrests but a few punches have been thrown!

Mind you, there was nearly a serious incident when a certain "Black" chap fired a 'Mortar Shell' towards top joes but the firework blew up before lift off, burning his new Gers top in the process.:lol::lol:

philupmaboug
12-Jul-10, 15:32
[QUOTE=regalkings;735127]Theres an Orange March in Thurso from The Park Bar to Top Joes everytime The Gers beat seltic;)

No arrests but a few punches have been thrown!

Seltic! who are they then? not many marches for that result.

Saveman
12-Jul-10, 15:34
"Oh ayeee.......1960.... the Battle of the Boing.....when King Billy defeated the Pope....."

History has so many lessons to teach us......we don't learn so well.....

regalkings
12-Jul-10, 15:37
Seltic! who are they then? not many marches for that result.

some team from ireland, lol

The Pepsi Challenge
12-Jul-10, 16:14
Actually Orange Marches celebrate freedom from oppression. See the difference? Didnt think so. back to your Republican cave, pal.

Aye, right. An Orange march then: To commemorate a battle which saw a gay Dutchman defeat an Englishman who spent most his life in France. The gay Dutchman was an ally of the Pope who wanted him to defeat the Englishman who was too pro-French. lol!

Tubthumper
12-Jul-10, 16:20
When I was at school a guy in my class had 'King Billy 16%' scrawled in big letters on his schoolbag.

I asked him what it meant and we got in a fight. It took me 10 years to find out that it actually said 'King Billy 1690'. We both got in trouble but he came off worse.

I always wondered though - if the Protestant side are 'loyal' to the queen/ flag/ UK etc , why doesn't the queen tell them to stop mucking about and causing trouble?

Bazeye
12-Jul-10, 16:29
I'd rather see Islam4UK or Muslims against the Crusades or whatever they're calling themselves this week banned.

Anfield
12-Jul-10, 16:33

Aye, right. An Orange march then: To commemorate a battle which saw a gay Dutchman defeat an Englishman who spent most his life in France. The gay Dutchman was an ally of the Pope who wanted him to defeat the Englishman who was too pro-French. lol!

Is there a link here?

The Pepsi Challenge
12-Jul-10, 16:37
Is there a link here?

Finally, someone spots the subtle irony. Well done, Anfield :)

Phill
12-Jul-10, 16:39
Hey what!

Were having a crusade? !!

Yeah, let's ban some stuff. Bring back the Empire and all that.
Tally ho!

Bazeye
12-Jul-10, 17:47
Hey what!

Were having a crusade? !!

Yeah, let's ban some stuff. Bring back the Empire and all that.
Tally ho!

Its what Islam4UK changed their name to when they were banned.

Anfield
12-Jul-10, 18:49
I'd rather see Islam4UK or Muslims against the Crusades or whatever they're calling themselves this week banned.

If the BNP, EDL, Orange Order and other odious groups are allowed to march, then why should'nt Muslims be able to protest against a war which they see as a war on their religion?
Not every UK Muslim supports the Taleban or Al'Qaeda

BillyEspie
12-Jul-10, 18:52
i say we should keep them, after all it isnt the protestants that were fighting it was actually the catholics that started it and they do that all the time i say we should have the 12th in Caithness one year then you'd see it for its full glory and it is very entertaining to watch, i know i'll be downloading it later to watch cause it was held today in my old hometown in N.Ireland. if people dont like the 12th then they dont have to watch it or go to it, nobody forces them to go to it either but hey for all the loyal brothers and followers of the 12th i hope you all had a brilliant day today marching up the 2nd widest street in great britain

glaikit
12-Jul-10, 19:22
I say keep the Orange Marches but only on condition that they adopt pink as their signature colour and have to dress up in drag. That'll give us all a laugh as they whistle their way along the street.

ducati
12-Jul-10, 19:24
I've no idea what it's all about. :confused Before anyone enlightens me, I'm not interested :lol:

Bazeye
12-Jul-10, 20:03
If the BNP, EDL, Orange Order and other odious groups are allowed to march, then why should'nt Muslims be able to protest against a war which they see as a war on their religion?
Not every UK Muslim supports the Taleban or Al'Qaeda

Ironic isnt it that the BNP are the only party who would remove the troops from Afghanistan pronto. You'd have thought the muslim extremists would be joining up in their thousands. Extra bonus point for you for getting the "buzzword" odious in there.

Corrie 3
12-Jul-10, 21:33
Now this backward cave dweller would like to know....How much does this parade of pink pansies cost the taxpayer? Could you also tell me what is actually achieved by this pink spectacle?

:eek::eek::eek:

Phill
12-Jul-10, 21:39
Interesting the reference to pink, especially pink pansies.
http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/s/sex-rb.gif

dessie
12-Jul-10, 22:35
thw twelth what a glorious day and has been for hundreds of yrs.they are trying to march through the routes thay have for yrs and now crowds of trouble makers just want it to stop.if you notice when the hibernians march there is never as much trouble..also the 11th night bonfiresd if anyone qwas at them there was mixed crowds.enough said.

theone
12-Jul-10, 22:42
I agree with some of the previous comments that we should not ban orange marches outright any more than we should ban gay pride or any other displays.

I do wonder though if it would be better to allow them only in the areas where they are appreciated? Although some might say it's historical, and therefore tradition, to walk through the mainly catholic areas surely they must acknowledge that it only fuels the fire and provokes a negative response?

I suspect that is the reason so many attend, to provoke 'the others' rather than satisfy any personal need to display pride.

To me this is similar to the IslamUK or whoever wanting to march through Wootton Basset. They don't want to do it for their pride, or any other reason, they want to provoke a response.

The Pepsi Challenge
12-Jul-10, 22:48
Now this backward cave dweller would like to know....How much does this parade of pink pansies cost the taxpayer? Could you also tell me what is actually achieved by this pink spectacle?

Bigoted and a Homophobe. Surely not. Gee, you nearly blinded me there with you Amnesty International badge.

pegasus
12-Jul-10, 22:51
here we go again with the usual slaging people off.

to answert the question: No i dont think that peoples right to march or to demonstrate shouild be interfered with

Corrie 3
13-Jul-10, 09:47
Bigoted and a Homophobe. Surely not. Gee, you nearly blinded me there with you Amnesty International badge.
Cant you just answer the questions?

[disgust][disgust][disgust]

Anfield
13-Jul-10, 10:07
Ironic isnt it that the BNP are the only party who would remove the troops from Afghanistan pronto. You'd have thought the muslim extremists would be joining up in their thousands.

Thousands of muslim extremists? Did not have you down as a red top reader

John Little
13-Jul-10, 10:12

I cannot answer the question as to how how the Gay Pride Parade costs the taxpayer. The answer may well be nothing; or it may be that it gets grants/subsidies from various bodies. I would think if you search for the funding bodies you could find them.

As to what it achieves- it is an affirmation of community that is very British. I have a growing collection of vintage film and some of them are by Mitchell and Kenyon. Parades were a very common feature of British life before the First World War. The films I have feature Catholic parades, Temperance parades, Church Lads and galas of all sorts. One memorable one has a street with dozens of stilt walkers - dressed as men and women - but all are men. That's from 1905.

The purpose was to show the strength of the group in society, to encourage others of like mind to join in, and to foster a sense of identity, community and purpose.

I regret your phraseology.
There are Gay people on this forum.

And I believe it is incumbent upon users of community forums to show a sense of respect towards the other users. They are, after all, similar to parades in that they are meant to foster a sense of community - not of division and exclusion.

John Little
13-Jul-10, 10:27
As to the Orange parades, there is room for compromise.

The Orange Order has its roots in the 1790s when gangs of Catholic Defenders and Protestant Peep o Day boys used to regularly battle it out with clubs and knives such as in the Battle of the Diamond in 1797. The marches started then - and they followed the routes that, by tradition, the Protestant's forefathers followed to join King William in 1690. The routes may or may not have been accurate as the stories were already 100 years old.

The purpose of the march was to remind the Catholic community that the Protestants were the majority, as a show of force, and that the Protestants were in charge. And they were - since the Test Acts of the early 18th century banned Catholics from power. The marches were also partly a result of fear, after the massacres of Protestants during the 1798 rebellion. Considering that hundreds of Protestants fought bravely for Irish independence, whilst further south their co-religionists were being slaughtered, their position is understandable.

The marches have become a tradition- a focus of Protestant identity and an affirmation of community. There are few people today, in the changed atmosphere of Northern Ireland, who would assert that Protestants are superior to Catholics.

The problem as I understand it, is that the parades still, in some cases, follow their 'traditional' routes- and that is interpreted as triumphalism by the Catholics, who do not like it. That too is understandable.

If the march were re-routed to streets that were 'neutral' which could be done in consultation with both sides of the religious divide, then there is no reason why Orange Parades should not continue.

From being triumphalist they then become what they can be - an affirmation of community identity, reinforcement of a sense of belonging, and an outpouring of community spirit with many beneficial spin offs.

Banning would simply create resentment and anger.
Orange parades should continue but for the 21st century they should be like a Gala- about carnival, enjoyment and fun, not bashing catholics.

The Flea
13-Jul-10, 13:18

It's such a complicated situation. You ban it then there would probably end up being violence anyway. I do know it from the Catholic side and am surprised about the hatred towards it but I'm not involved in it so its hard for me to understand.

Corrie 3
13-Jul-10, 13:24
I regret your phraseology.
There are Gay people on this forum.

And I believe it is incumbent upon users of community forums to show a sense of respect towards the other users. They are, after all, similar to parades in that they are meant to foster a sense of community - not of division and exclusion.
So John,its ok for some to call others backward and a cave dweller but its not ok to call someone a pink pansy ??
I woudnt be surprised that there are Homosexuals on the Forum, I have no argument with them as long as they leave me alone and dont try to "convert" me.
There are two things that I dislike about Homosexuality, I dislike it being shoved down my throat and the throats of my kids as though it is something normal. I also detest the Homosexual who accosted me in public toilets when I was a schoolboy, the Guy who scared me to death and has left a permanant scar on my life.
Myself, I just cant see where the pride fits into Gay pride!!

Green_not_greed
13-Jul-10, 13:33
Looks like a good few backs are up from this thread!

Surely if a ban is to be considered then it should be for any religious marches, and not just for specific ones.

And as for "gay" marches then IMO that's a completely different topic.

ducati
13-Jul-10, 13:39
After seeing news footage of the riots, admittedly there seemed to be a very small core of people actually attacking the police, I am full of admiration for the restraint shown by the police. Although I'm quite sure when arrests are made a fair few will be "helped" down the stairs.

And that, would be fair enough.

The Drunken Duck
13-Jul-10, 13:59
After seeing news footage of the riots, admittedly there seemed to be a very small core of people actually attacking the police, I am full of admiration for the restraint shown by the police. Although I'm quite sure when arrests are made a fair few will be "helped" down the stairs.

And that, would be fair enough.

They were only restrained because we cant afford another multi million pound inquiry. Haven't paid for the last one yet. Should have just had a copper mention that the Para's were coming then sit back and watch the streets empty.

As for the Marches, well its just typical Republican behaviour isnt it ??, they get their knickers wound up whenever they dont get their way.

The Pepsi Challenge
13-Jul-10, 15:09
How many Orangemen does it take to change a lightbulb? None; they all live in perpetual darkness.

I don't actually mind them walking the Queen's highway - let them walk the M8 and see how they get on :)

wickblast
13-Jul-10, 15:27
How many Orangemen does it take to change a lightbulb? None; they all live in perpetual darkness.

I don't actually mind them walking the Queen's highway - let them walk the M8 and see how they get on :)
try marching past my door i will shut ma curtins prety sad

DeHaviLand
13-Jul-10, 15:38

For someone who always seems to come down on the side of "minorities" and advocates equal rights, you are astonishingly bigoted! Luckily I still have a copy of comments you posted some time ago, and which were removed by the mods, that show you up for what you really are :roll:

John Little
13-Jul-10, 16:00
So John,its ok for some to call others backward and a cave dweller but its not ok to call someone a pink pansy ??
I woudnt be surprised that there are Homosexuals on the Forum, I have no argument with them as long as they leave me alone and dont try to "convert" me.
There are two things that I dislike about Homosexuality, I dislike it being shoved down my throat and the throats of my kids as though it is something normal. I also detest the Homosexual who accosted me in public toilets when I was a schoolboy, the Guy who scared me to death and has left a permanant scar on my life.

I did not say it was ok for anyone to call you anything.

That bit of the conversation is between you and Pepsi Challenge. I am sure you are quite capable of answering.

What I regret is your reference to a whole march of people in a way which can only be seen as derogatory. That is not between you and Pepsi Challenge.

Nobody is shoving anything down your throat. I have nothing against Gay Pride marches - I do not go to them and they are not for me - but I am fine with them. You cannot "convert' someone to be gay. They just are.
If one of your kids turns out to be gay then I express the hope that you would recognise that they are still yours and that you would love them as you do now and without preconditions. But if they are, then I do assure you that it is not because of 'conversion'. Being gay is not a religion.

As to normal - well it is normal. It might not be your particular normality but I think you will find that its occurrence in human societies is widespread and so commonly found as to be normal by any definition of the word.

Whatever normal may be.

The homosexual who accosted you as a schoolboy was a paedophile and by rights should have been arrested and charged for what he did. Your experience highlights every well why society is concerned so much about paedophiles living amongst us. It was a nasty experience for you and I am sorry for it.

However, he was an individual, and not representative of a whole group of people numbering millions of the human race. I hope you do not take him as such. Among gay people are many selfless and dedicated people holding down good and worthy jobs, playing a full part in society. Among their number are soldiers, nurses, airmen, sailors, firemen, police- and perhaps they deserve better than 'Pink Pansies'.

As to where 'pride' fits into Gay Pride, it is simply that they are affirming their right to be proud of themselves, their identity and their belonging to a large community in society. It's a statement that they are happy with what they ar and they are glad that they no longer have to hide but can be themselves.

They are a sign that our society has become more open, more tolerant and accepting of difference.

And on that basis I see no reason whatsoever why Greens, Oranges, Gays, Civil rights, Mums against windfarms and people against pink spotted hankies cannot march if they wish to- and without hate.

If they want hate and tribalism then they should go to a football match.

The Pepsi Challenge
13-Jul-10, 16:13
"Our message is simple. Where our music is welcome, we will play loud. Where it is not welcome, we will play louder." Orange/ Loyalist slogan

Could be a rock band, eh?

tiger woods
13-Jul-10, 16:35
Dislike what being 'shoved' down your throat?

scorrie
13-Jul-10, 17:21
There are two things that I dislike about Homosexuality, I dislike it being shoved down my throat and

There is no need for the "and", I accept your first reason as being sufficient!! ;)

tiger woods
13-Jul-10, 17:40
Narrow minded and not very tolerant.
You seem to think all gay's main objectives in life are to 'convert' people.
By the way, being gay is normal for gays.
Before you ask, I'm not gay, just broad minded and tolerant, unlike you.

rich
13-Jul-10, 17:54
The Orange Order in it's glory days (1850-1923) was no worse an influence on politics than was rhe Ancient Order of Hibenians, the Gaelic Athletic League, the Irish Volunteers, the Irish Citizen Army the Irish Language revival, the Irish Parliamentary Party or the Irish Co-Operative Movement.

However, the Orangemen were quite a bit better at smuggling guns than their Nationalist equivalents.

They were also better organized.

Amy-Winehouse
14-Jul-10, 00:22

If the Irish republicans are allowed to walk the streets of Scotland with their marches then so should the Orange order.

I dont personally care because theres neither in Caithness but some poor unfortunates have to have the rabble which follow either side passing their doorsteps every now & again. Its culture & its part of scottish life.

Amy-Winehouse
14-Jul-10, 00:30
For someone who always seems to come down on the side of "minorities" and advocates equal rights, you are astonishingly bigoted! Luckily I still have a copy of comments you posted some time ago, and which were removed by the mods, that show you up for what you really are :roll:

Well said, any chance to have a dig at the O.O or Rangers FC & its fans & Pepsi is yer man. Hes been rather quiet of late but as soon as Orange marchers are mentioned hes on quicker than a rat up a drainpipe.

The B word fits

wickblast
14-Jul-10, 08:47
Well said, any chance to have a dig at the O.O or Rangers FC & its fans & Pepsi is yer man. Hes been rather quiet of late but as soon as Orange marchers are mentioned hes on quicker than a rat up a drainpipe.

The B word fitsnice to see ur back ban marchin childish noncence[lol]

The Pepsi Challenge
14-Jul-10, 10:42
The thing that Amy, DeHaviLand, and other supporters of the OO can't seem to grasp is that Protestant/ Unionist/ Loyalist/ Orange culture and ideology is, by definition, rooted in hatred and opposition to the Catholic faith and Irish free state. Because the culture they celebrate is founded on principals of domination, hatred and rejection of another faith, it should come as no surprise to them that they find themselves being marginalised by decent, right thinking people. But that's what happens when you dwell in the 17th century.

Anfield
14-Jul-10, 10:45
They were only restrained because we cant afford another multi million pound inquiry. Haven't paid for the last one yet. Should have just had a copper mention that the Para's were coming then sit back and watch the streets empty.

As for the Marches, well its just typical Republican behaviour isnt it ??, they get their knickers wound up whenever they dont get their way.

If the people involved in Bloody Sunday had told the truth to the initial inquiry investigating this incident, and Government not covered up the "whitewash" then there would have been no need for the £200M + Saville Inquiry.

"..typical Republican behaviour" etc.
When will people realise that the majority of people in N Ireland, both Nationalists & Unionists, just want to have an ordinary day to day life similar to what we enjoy on the mainland.
Not every catholic supports the armed extremists, just like not every protestant take part in Lodge marches.

Crackeday
14-Jul-10, 10:53
The thing that Amy, DeHaviLand, and other supporters of the OO can't seem to grasp is that Protestant/ Unionist/ Loyalist/ Orange culture and ideology is, by definition, rooted in hatred and opposition to the Catholic faith and Irish free state. Because the culture they celebrate is founded on principals of domination, hatred and rejection of another faith, it should come as no surprise to them that they find themselves being marginalised by decent, right thinking people. But that's what happens when you dwell in the 17th century.
If you know your history Pepsi you would know that the orange order is NOT rooted in Hatred. It is rooted in pride for a culture and a way of life. If you dont like the OO does that mean you have a hatred for them? (And are as bad as they are in your eyes??)There is a difference between pride and prejudice, all it takes is a little understanding to see the facts and not be blinkered by Nationalist propoganda.

Tubthumper
14-Jul-10, 10:55
It's rooted in two sets of people who like a ruck and need an excuse.

Crackeday
14-Jul-10, 10:57
Maybe I am wrong but all the trouble in Belfast the last couple of days are from "organised" rioters attacking the police. Are they just as bad if not worse than the peaceful marching Orangemen?

The orangemen are blamed for not being tolerant but yet they parade peacefully but get attacked by Nationalists who complain about being tolerant, confused?????????
I suppose it depends what side of the fence your on but for the nationalist to complain about tolerance and then riot it smacks of rules for one rules for another.

Tubthumper
14-Jul-10, 11:00
That's Northern Ireland for you!

Anfield
14-Jul-10, 11:12
The orangemen are blamed for not being tolerant but yet they parade peacefully but get attacked by Nationalists who complain about being tolerant, confused?????????

Can you see the Orange Order displaying "tolerance" if there was a march by Nationalists down Shankill Road?

annthracks
14-Jul-10, 11:18

I've just got a Blakes7 badge :) can I join in?

The Pepsi Challenge
14-Jul-10, 11:20
If you know your history Pepsi you would know that the orange order is NOT rooted in Hatred. It is rooted in pride for a culture and a way of life. If you dont like the OO does that mean you have a hatred for them? (And are as bad as they are in your eyes??)There is a difference between pride and prejudice, all it takes is a little understanding to see the facts and not be blinkered by Nationalist propoganda.

I don't hate them; I pity them. Neither am I a Republican or interested in Republican marches. However, the reason Republicans are free to embrace their Irish Catholic culture is because, by definition, it is the exact opposite. The tricolour they (OO) find so offensive, the flag of a nation, encompasses the colour Orange as a message of peace towards a section of people who wanted the Irish free State liquidated.

I've lived in the Central Belt for 15 years, and I've experienced enough of the OO's archaic 'traditions' to have an opinion. They're trashed and peed all over my friends and families gardens; awoken me at 7am umpteen times on a Sunday morning; I've seen them hit an OAP with a mace because she had the audacity to cross the road to the shop to buy bread and milk; I've had first-hand experience of these clowns attempt to intimidate me verbally and physically.

The truth of the matter is that they are bitter people, because they've been fed lies about the glory of being British and Protestant and Proud, and that really the march only stems from a severe inferiority complex, and one that only perpetuates the bitterness in a vicious cycle.

The Pepsi Challenge
14-Jul-10, 11:21
I've just got a Blakes7 badge :) can I join in?

Of course, fire in. Bring a candle, though - it's very, very dark in here.

DeHaviLand
14-Jul-10, 11:22
Can you see the Orange Order displaying "tolerance" if there was a march by Nationalists down Shankill Road?

What you're missing, and what your republican friend pepsi is missing, is that the Orange Order is not involved in any way in this violence. they are merely the target for the violence perpetuated by republican/nationalist scum who think they have a divine right to achieve change through disorder and rioting.
Incidentally the Orange Order in Scotland have never tried to halt any of the numerous Republican marches in Scotland, no matter where they've been held, and no matter what guise they were held under. So, show me now what side is displaying intolerance?

gleeber
14-Jul-10, 11:23
There was a time when if I was asked my religion I would have said Protestant. I was aware there were catholics around because during school assemblys or end of season church services they had to go to another room and do whatever it was they did. There was never any sectarianism in Caithness when I was growing up.
O how things have changed. This thead is a disgrace and is no more representative of Caithness than vineyards or sunshine.
Those protestants amongst you who have such pride in your culture would be best ing off back to where your pride is appreciated and leave caithness to it's own difficulties.

The Pepsi Challenge
14-Jul-10, 11:23
What you're missing, and what your republican friend pepsi is missing, is that the Orange Order is not involved in any way in this violence. they are merely the target for the violence perpetuated by republican/nationalist scum who think they have a divine right to achieve change through disorder and rioting.
Incidentally the Orange Order in Scotland have never tried to halt any of the numerous Republican marches in Scotland, no matter where they've been held, and no matter what guise they were held under. So, show me now what side is displaying intolerance?

For the record, I'm not a Republican.

DeHaviLand
14-Jul-10, 11:29
For the record, I'm not a Republican.

Previous posts from you would likely deem otherwise.

The Pepsi Challenge
14-Jul-10, 11:31
Previous posts from you would likely deem otherwise.

I assure you I'm not.

Anfield
14-Jul-10, 11:39

So what you are saying, is that the Orange Order are paragons of virtue and that they never instigate violence against Nationalists...

DeHaviLand
14-Jul-10, 11:59
So what you are saying, is that the Orange Order are paragons of virtue and that they never instigate violence against Nationalists...

I must thank you for twisting my words yet again. But, I'll indulge you and your stupidity. Show me one example where the Orange Order have instigated violence, please.

Anfield
14-Jul-10, 12:13
I must thank you for twisting my words yet again. But, I'll indulge you and your stupidity. Show me one example where the Orange Order have instigated violence, please.

Your starter for 10 (http://www.allianceparty.org/news/001614/video_shows_orange_violence__ford.html)

annthracks
14-Jul-10, 12:35
Of course, fire in. Bring a candle, though - it's very, very dark in here.

But...but... the adverts said "The future's bright..." so how come it's so dark? ;)

tiger woods
14-Jul-10, 12:35
'Blinkered' and 'naive'

Crackeday
14-Jul-10, 12:48
There was a time when if I was asked my religion I would have said Protestant. I was aware there were catholics around because during school assemblys or end of season church services they had to go to another room and do whatever it was they did. There was never any sectarianism in Caithness when I was growing up.
O how things have changed. This thead is a disgrace and is no more representative of Caithness than vineyards or sunshine.
Those protestants amongst you who have such pride in your culture would be best ing off back to where your pride is appreciated and leave caithness to it's own difficulties.
Is that blatant masking I'm seeing there???;)
Why shouldnt someone from caithness have pride in something? Is it because its not wind farms or gaelic road signs that people cant have a valid point?
There isnt any sectarian violence up here it is mainly people stating their opinions thats all, nothing wrong with that.
The thread is merely people having opinions and defending their corner etc its no more a disgrace than some of the other threads on here.

DeHaviLand
14-Jul-10, 13:16
Your starter for 10 (http://www.allianceparty.org/news/001614/video_shows_orange_violence__ford.html)

That was violence by members of the Orange Order, not violence by the Orange Order. Try again!
Actually, dont bother trying again. I suspect you are too stupid to see the difference.

Anfield
14-Jul-10, 14:35
That was violence by members of the Orange Order, not violence by the Orange Order. Try again!
Actually, dont bother trying again. I suspect you are too stupid to see the difference.

Revert to type. If you can't win argument by rational debate then resort to personal insults.

scorrie
14-Jul-10, 14:46
Martin Luther King:-

"I have a dream today, Gay Pride, Brothers In Arms, One Nation Under a Groove, Peace and Harmony, Love Thy Neighbour":-

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i237/scorrie57/p16a.jpg

Mrs Luther King:-

"Maaaartin, hev ye been at e' magic mushrooms again?"

Anfield
14-Jul-10, 15:00

I forgot to add that the link I added states in first paragraph

"..Alliance Party Leader, David Ford, has said that video evidence clearly shows that the Orange Order orchestrated violence this weekend and Orangemen led attacks on the police.."

rich
14-Jul-10, 15:53
Take Ireland in the late 19th and 20th centuries and see what separated Orange Order and/or Unionist Ireland from Nationalist Ireland.

The economies of each side were crucially different. The North had an industrialized economy focused on ship-building. Of necessity this industry supported the British Empire.

In the 26 counties to the South the economy focused on agriculture. The arrival of frozen meat from New Zealand and Australia (due to the invention of refrigeration) undercut the agricultural economy. All Britain's fault? Surely not...

Unionist Ireland was Protestant and for the most part, in the North, Presbyterian. Nationalist Ireland was Catholic.

The lines of fissure were drawn 100 years before the 1916 uprising (so-called).

So why single out the Orange Order?

Is there some sort of cheap thrill here for would-be progressives?

Today's Orange Order is toothless and on the way to becoming completely fossilised.

Dont waste your time on it.

DeHaviLand
14-Jul-10, 16:22
I forgot to add that the link I added states in first paragraph

"..Alliance Party Leader, David Ford, has said that video evidence clearly shows that the Orange Order orchestrated violence this weekend and Orangemen led attacks on the police.."

Like I said, members of the Orange Order, not the Orange Order, despite what the link says. Not posting on your sock puppet account of picturegifts?

Anfield
14-Jul-10, 16:29

Like I said, members of the Orange Order, not the Orange Order, despite what the link says. Not posting on your sock puppet account of picturegifts?

Which part of "clearly shows that the Orange Order orchestrated violence" are you having problems with?

Sock Puppet?
Is that one of the items of clothing that you sell to fellow pseudo soldiers
so that they can pretend to be real soldiers? along with the camoflage mascara.

Try sticking to the thread.

DeHaviLand
14-Jul-10, 16:34
Which part of "clearly shows that the Orange Order orchestrated violence" are you having problems with?

Sock Puppet?
Is that one of the items of clothing that you sell to fellow pseudo soldiers
so that they can pretend to be real soldiers? along with the camoflage mascara.

Try sticking to the thread.

Again, i have to question your comprehension abilities!

Sock puppet- when someone has two accounts on the same forum. like when picturegifts posts a thread on the technical forum, it gets answered, and then you as Anfield answers to say that you tried that solution. anfield then deletes his post and posts the exact same answer using the picturegifts account.
Hoist by your own petard, I think my friend. I'm sure there are rules against it! Unfortunately there are no rules against stupidity, as you insist on proving!

Anfield
14-Jul-10, 16:46
Again, i have to question your comprehension abilities!

Sock puppet- when someone has two accounts on the same forum. like when picturegifts posts a thread on the technical forum, it gets answered, and then you as Anfield answers to say that you tried that solution. anfield then deletes his post and posts the exact same answer using the picturegifts account.
Hoist by your own petard, I think my friend. I'm sure there are rules against it! Unfortunately there are no rules against stupidity, as you insist on proving!
Not one word of your post has anything to do with thread, so can I take it that you have given up trying to defend the indefensible?

p.s.
Picturegifts belongs to my wife. Perhaps you can inform me what rule states that it is not allowed for man & wife to have two separate accounts.

rich
14-Jul-10, 16:50
All posters on this thread should be aware of the danger of creating a double standard where the Orangemen are concerned. No side in Ireland has a monopoly on violence,.
But but by the same token both states - north and south - have produced courageous people putting their lives on the line in the name of peace.

One would never guess this from the livid effusions of the Org!

Dare I ask you all to grow up a little....?

DeHaviLand
14-Jul-10, 17:02
Not one word of your post has anything to do with thread, so can I take it that you have given up trying to defend the indefensible?

p.s.
Picturegifts belongs to my wife. Perhaps you can inform me what rule states that it is not allowed for man & wife to have two separate accounts.

And you think that bringing my business into it has anything to do with the thread? Not only stupid but hypocritical too! My, my you are surpassing yourself!

Anfield
14-Jul-10, 17:09
And you think that bringing my business into it has anything to do with the thread? Not only stupid but hypocritical too! My, my you are surpassing yourself!

See post #71

Bazeye
14-Jul-10, 18:23
I think they look funny in their bowler hats and sashes. So there.

Amy-Winehouse
14-Jul-10, 19:23

You are wired to the moon Pepsi . You are definitely a republican sympthiser . You act like one & speak like one , dont recall you attacking any ancient order marches , why ? They are every bit as bad as the O.O if not worse

Tubthumper
14-Jul-10, 19:48
Will you listen to yerselves for a minute? This is as daft as arguing about Rangers or Celtic. It's what happens whenever NI gets brought up. Will you just stop? NEITHER side is right. Yer man the Chief Constable summed it up, they spent enough on policing in the last few nights to pay for a hospital ward.

But I though the term 'recreational rioting' was appropriate. A Facebook party, a bunch of wee neds in hoodies showing off in front of teenage dillies, all dressed in their finery. And the press, of course. Oh and a bunch of drunk blokes having a summer punt at the Polis. And dropping lumps of concrete on a poliswoman. Really hard.:roll:

wickblast
14-Jul-10, 19:49
You are wired to the moon Pepsi . You are definitely a republican sympthiser . You act like one & speak like one , dont recall you attacking any ancient order marches , why ? They are every bit as bad as the O.O if not worsemost of u talkin load of noncens time to ban this thred sould not of been started in first place wot thay do in there own country is no concern of us as long as its not on my doorstep who cares who won a war hundreds of years ago:(

Phill
14-Jul-10, 20:33
in there own country

I think that is still a tad under debate!

I find it quite interesting that although there appears to be two sides the debate, and questionably the violence in NI, I thought the whole thing actually united many.
They all wanted to knock holes out of the rozzers!

Now a gay pride march up the Shankill Road............

Corrie 3
14-Jul-10, 20:50
Now that would be a sight to see...I dont think even the Unite Union would come to their rescue!!!

Crackeday
16-Jul-10, 04:49
Everytime i read that it becomes more and more an innuendo for me(which I suppose could be another innuendo!!)[lol]
Gotta stop having a dirty mind.

Bazeye
16-Jul-10, 10:33
Never heard it called that before.:lol:

regalkings
12-Mar-11, 14:04
no we should not ban them they are not the only marches that turn violent to stop this we may as well give up freedom of speach and free press all marches should be allowed not matter what religion or race