PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Court, Raigmore Hospital, Inverness

heather11
11-Jul-10, 17:32
Has anyone stayed or knows of anyone that has stayed in Kyle Court, Raigmore Hospital, Inverness, if so how did they get on and what was their overall opinion of it. I have to go down to Raigmore at the beginning of August for 4 weeks of Radiotherapy to treat breast cancer and they have suggested I stay there but I dont know much about it. Thanks in advance for any replies.

upolian
11-Jul-10, 17:36
I stayed there last year,nout wrong with it :)

starry
11-Jul-10, 17:40
Yes my friend used it while her husband was having treatment for cancer, she was delighted with it.

I am pretty sure you can go for a look round before if you want.

Hope all goes well with your treatment xxx

Happy Guy
11-Jul-10, 18:00
My wife had 4 weeks radiotherapy for breast cancer (NOT at Raigmore) and I know she would not have coped well with a daily 200 odd mile journey. So their advice sounds sensible. I wish you well with your treatment

Moira
11-Jul-10, 18:42
heather11, I stayed there a few years ago. The accommodation was very clean and decent - good comfy beds too.

All best wishes for a good outcome from your treatment - I am sure you will be well looked after. :)

bagpuss
11-Jul-10, 18:45
Good luck with your treatment- I hope everything goes well.

south view 7
11-Jul-10, 19:35
Has anyone stayed or knows of anyone that has stayed in Kyle Court, Raigmore Hospital, Inverness, if so how did they get on and what was their overall opinion of it. I have to go down to Raigmore at the beginning of August for 4 weeks of Radiotherapy to treat breast cancer and they have suggested I stay there but I dont know much about it. Thanks in advance for any replies.
Hi heather11,i stayed there for 40 sessions of radiotherapy two years ago and thought it was a great place and you meet lots of people there for the same treatment,i would also recomend "maggies"the cancer care charity who"s building is beside the outpatiants at the hospital. All thebest S.V.7........;)

badger
11-Jul-10, 19:41
I stayed there twice a few years ago and the room was fine but food was awful and kitchen badly organised. It may well have improved since then but I was told later it's much better eating in the hospital canteen.

elastic band
11-Jul-10, 19:56
Hi there,

we also stayed there at various times and found the accommodation clean, comfy and peaceful.

We had no probs at all and found the close proximity to Raigmore a bonus.

Wishing you all well for the future.

telfordstar
11-Jul-10, 20:12
I was down last Monday with my daughter and stayed overnight at Kyle court. Place was clean and comfy and I really couldn't fault it at all. Only pain was the heli pad isn't far from it so any helicopters coming in you definatly know about it.

Dadie
11-Jul-10, 20:49
Hubby stayed at Kyle court while I was in Raigmore for a few days before Christmas (I was sent down as just diagnosed with gestational diabetise in last few weeks)
It was clean with a basic room.
His only complaint was it was too hot.
He ate out or met me and ate in the hospital cafe.. so dont know what the food was like....
He had the room kept for emergency stays for though!

Dreamweaver
11-Jul-10, 21:15
Do you have to pay to stay there? What does it cost?

Moira
11-Jul-10, 21:22
I was down last Monday with my daughter and stayed overnight at Kyle court. Place was clean and comfy and I really couldn't fault it at all. Only pain was the heli pad isn't far from it so any helicopters coming in you definatly know about it.

| drew a different picture from hearing the landings on the Heli-pad. I always concluded that their needs were greater than mine. Their needs were emergency, mine were not. I remember being grateful for that.

Dadie
11-Jul-10, 21:25
Not sure.
I think the cost is definately covered for patients by raigmore, but, not sure for partners/family!
Think it must be at the most £20 a night that is all raigmore will refund for a nights stay elsewhere ....
Check out the travel cost refunds too if not on benefits they take off the first £10 on the travel costs each way!
Best thing you can do is ask whoever is sending you down for the information on Kyle Court so you know all the facts and are prepared before you go.. we were in a different boat... I went to a routine mat appt... and got told to go to Inverness there and then..so didnt know what it was like before going.. didnt really get the oppertunity to ask the questions either!

Dreamweaver
11-Jul-10, 22:00
Thanks for that Dadie x

telfordstar
11-Jul-10, 22:44
My hubby stayed with me and my daughter on monday in kyle court, me and her got free but hubby had to pay £27.50.

Fran
12-Jul-10, 00:36
I stayed in Kyle court, free of charge, when "himself" was getting his 10 hour overnight chemo sessions. It was warm and comfy but no tv in the room at that time. there was a tv room , bathroom and kitchento each flat and a van took you to the dining room in the hospital. I beleive it has been upgraded since.
For those of you who have to pay the £25, you can stay at the Rigmore Motel, which of course is nicer round the corner, for £25 per person per night if you are a patient or hospital visitor.,
I would definetly recommend "Maggies" for a relaxing sit down, cup of tea etc , company, booklets, advise etc etc. they were a great help to me at that bad time and help me set up my Caithness Cancer Support Group.

tootz
12-Jul-10, 00:44
My Granny Stayed In Kyle Court While Having Treatment For Breast Cancer And Had No Complaints. We AlsoStayed In The Raigmore Motel Which Also WasVery Nice :) Hope Your Treatment Goes Well.

telfordstar
12-Jul-10, 16:34
| drew a different picture from hearing the landings on the Heli-pad. I always concluded that their needs were greater than mine. Their needs were emergency, mine were not. I remember being grateful for that.

You have obviously read into what I wrote the total wrong way. I certinly wasnt complaining about it it was said in a kidna humerous way, which guessing by your post isnt the way you read it, which yet again is pretty typical in this forum.

I have had personal experience of the air ambulance service and most certinly take my hat of to them all, just to clear up I was IN NO WAY gurning about th heli pad, maybe next time i will put a lol beside it maybe that way folk will get the idea its not in any way a moan.

sistevens
13-Jul-10, 07:23
Hi there,
I stayed in Kyle Court for 2 weeks before having my baby at the end of January the staff are all lovely the rooms are very basic but comfy there are no tv's in the room but they are happy for you to take your own the only thing depending which side of the building your room is at you may or may not get a signal however there are living room areas that you can sit in (although you may not feel like it after your treatment). It costs £27.50 a night but not for patients and you can have one person stay with you free of charge also. With regards to meals i was given tickets to go over to eat in the hospital so i couldnt tell you what like the food is that they come over with to you !! I hope your treatment goes well and your home again quickly :D Good Luck

Rheghead
14-Jul-10, 17:22
My wife stayed at Kyle court for 6 weeks radiotherapy 3 years ago. She was in 3 different rooms which were all clean and basic, she said the noisy side was the one next to the student flats who at weekends in particular were very loud music and parties. I guess it depends on your neighbours. I believe they were supposed to be redecorating them.